Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

cheers Neil! This weekend has been one where its quickly transformed because its big boards! Yes we will put a door in the cupboard above the fridge, it will match the kitchen doors. Unfortunately the fridge itself will stay open though.. i was hoping to integrate that behind a door but we just don't have the space to frame in and I don't want to build the fridge in really... although the fridge itself looks better with its new matching door!

• Like 2

Quick midweek update..

Dave told me to buy lights for the boat... Unfortunately I have a bit of a obsession with Lights and clocks.. if I'm in a store selling either.. I'll likely buy one.. (I'm banned from ikea).. So of course I've spent several evenings looking around (From toplict -> Timage -> to Ikea (online) I couldn't decide.. (I impulsed brought one light lol .. pics coming when its in place the weekend!)...

I've probably said before that Richardsons "Far Horizon" is my inspiration for the internal design.. so I went back and looked at the pictures.. So from that I basically redesigned the lighting circuit (after the cables are in of course!) I had planned on having lights mounted on the but I couldnt find one I liked so redesigned to use LED lights in the headlining (just like most modern boats)... Yeah Dave uttered words in French at me... :shocked ... it's not too much more work for him... (I guess!).. It will look better though I think... 

So he's been over working a couple of evenings apparently been doing more stuff with electric cables.. apparently he's installed all the low level LED lights (We have 12 around the boat).. 

I've also spoken to Alan at Hawke house.. who answered some questions about headling boards so I'll measure up and get the headlining ordered in the next couple of days.. apparently 6mm boards are to be used and PVA glue on the boards instead of contact glue... Hopefully the next couple of weeks we can get the headling up.. 

• Like 3

Thanks Mark.. we will be there (oh balls means I have to get up early :( ) Just hope its not busy though.. hate busy jumbles... shopping list is already there. although we don't need much (I need to leave some bits for christmas presents!). I don't think we actually been to the kent ones for a bit.. the last couple of essex ones have been good though.. I think it all depends what you need though.. cheers

Iain.. wasn't it was pink fenders?? and no chance.. although if I see one.. I'll get for grace!! 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I'm back to feeling like we didn't do to much this weekend (which is a nasty feeling), although that's probably not 100% correct .. 

We are at a strange stage...Yesterday we, I mean dave (I mainly got in his way) did lots of stuff with electrical cables.. I was hoping to get timber and finish the bulkheads but Dave wanted a spare weekend to do some electrical stuff...Dave actually does all the electrical work, he started working as an apprentice electrician and has studied car electrical stuff at college so it makes sense to just let him do this stuff.. but means I'm feeling like nothings happening as I can't see stuff happening really.. (My skills (if they can be called that) is design, timber, finishing etc etc).  

We did installed one windscreen wiper though (We need to order the second).. that took a bit of work as we had to trim some battens out.. we also (I think) finished the cabling in the cabin so we really are ready for the lights and sockets to just be screwed on... Yesterday, I sanded the hatch timber surround so it can be varnished..  which will be done in the week. 

Today we had the morning off as we had a bit of a long day yesterday, we actually went out to get the windscreen wiper motor from the chandlery but they knocked the price up and I can get cheaper online.. so I well.. take that greedy chandlers.. We came back after lunch and spent the afternoon installing a drip stop moulding around the canopy which our canopy maker suggested.. fingers crossed this will stop the odd annoying little leaks so we can panel the wheelhouse walls soon.

Last night I also checked my bank balance and was able to do some online retail therapy! and I have basically ordered most of the electrical parts so we can finish the electrical bits.

Next weekend (although we have the jumble on the sunday morning) we will grab the works van and collect the last two ply sheets to finish off the bukhead walls.. so weekend after we can make a start on the headlining :)

• Like 4

cheers Neil :) I asked dave how much work we got done and he said about 10 evenings worth which is good I guess... But I must admit I like the weekends where we put a wall up or paint something and it looks 10 times better.. but I do forget there's these little (annoying) jobs which must be done.. often before we do a big nice job...as you experienced she is feeling really warm and cosy inside though.. she's going to be good :)

• Like 3

Looking good to me Alan

Was on the broads all last week and not been keeping up to date what with poor wi fi and just enjoying the rivers and you seem to be going great guns..........The little jobs can look like nothings happening but are just as important.

I'm enjoying following the project

David

• Like 1

Hi young Alan,

I am delighted to read you kept out of Dave's road when he was doing the lecky work. Trust me. I know, one wire put in wrong place, can cause hours of grief later if it does not all work. You stick to wood etc, leave the clever stuff to Dave :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty: Sorry Alan, I maybe retired, but am still a tradesman at heart ! :grin:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

lol.. I think I probably could have stayed more out the way.. there where some heated discussions (and a few cables in the wrong spot!) but it's not easy as we have about about 4 different lights in each area  :shocked.. but it's all in the right spots now.. i think lol cheers

Quick Midweek update..

I've only managed to get over this evening (I'm having a 4 hour commute at the moment due to most of surrey and sussex being covered in roadworks (Or people trying to avoid them)..

Dave managed to get some more varnish on the bulkheads and they are looking very pretty.. We decided to replace the polystyrene insulation with celotex.. main reasons being because I now have lighting recessed and although they are LED it's just a bit safer to use celotex as it's a tad less flammable (we will cut a good recess away from the laps too..) so we  spent a couple of hours today and did 2/3rds which is good..

We also have strong winds and at the moment the acros are sinking at a fast rate so tomorrow we will have to make up timber supports coming off the railway sleepers as a backup.. (they really didn't do a good job of compacting the ground under her :(

post-28066-0-05647700-1412797196_thumb.j

• Like 2

Lol.. I don't think the docs can help.. perhaps I need to stop eating soo much spicy food though!!

I was thinking of you... Jon does have his own boatyard... Free moorings??.. more holidays in norfolk??.. wheres my thanks lol ??  ice slice

• Like 1

Today's update.

Started nice and early.. Off to the timber yard to collect two more oak faced boards to complete the bulkhead walls (Believe it or not this brings the total to 7 full size sheets so surprising a lot of bulkheads! The timber yard know us by first name which is good! we are even getting good prices! 

Next stop was the chandlers to collect my price matched windscreen motor although the one they ordered  didnt look too well so we told them to order again.. there's no rush for it so we can be fussy!.. Next stop was the electrical shop next door to collect the modern looking light switches but they were out of stock.. I'll collect midweek from the work near to my work as they have stock..

Back to the yard.. dave borrowed the work van again because this weather now doesn't permit transporting unfinished sheets on the estate cars roof rack.. Thankfully the last few bulkheads left to face are nice squares although the bigger one being the bathroom/loo door.. I suggested to Dave that we try and use a router (Although he asked what use that will be as it's used to supply the internet connection..!).. We've not tried it before so was reluctant (certainly when its on £40 worth of boarding) but I thought it was less risky than using a jigsaw.. picture attached of him using it and he's falling in love with it now (which is good) as it worked really well and made the job nice and quick. Thankfully this now means all bulkheads have these oak faced boards cut so just need varnishing and installing, which we will slowly do.

Dave stayed over there for a few hours and got a coat of varnish on the boards. Only slight problem though.. the previous 5 boards we had the grain on the boarding was very minor.. the two supplied toward are a bit "in your face" nobbly knees?! Dave's worried I will want to re-cut the other board on that match the grain.. I'll have a look tomorrow..  

Tomorrow is kent boat jumble and it's our last for this year (and potentially the last before shes all finished )so I've made a huge shopping list of all of the bits we still need .. although thankfully it's mostly small stuff.. hopefully we get some good deal and save a few pennies.

Couple of pictures attached (Sorry I used Daves mobile and it's not too good.. also meant he delete most of the good ones before I could get them uploaded!) I'll take a few more tomorrow though.

post-28066-0-93862400-1413056441_thumb.j

post-28066-0-96591200-1413056448_thumb.j

• Like 2