Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Geez what a wet end to a bank holiday weekend (nothing unusual!).. 

We had a good weekend really looking back! and this little blog helps look back and see what we've done as it's too easy to get used to the changes.. It was really good to have another pair of hands too and we made good use of her ;)  Plus considering we did plan to go to norfolk this weekend!

So here goes.. The showerrom/loo is now all covered and trimed .. it was hard work but its worked out well I think.. it just needs a bead of silicon on the edges to finish it off and then all the bits can go in that room.. We have the loo, sink, tap, mirror, lighting (Showers on order too) so its all here ready to go in... we will put the door on last..

Unfortunately the epoxy on the back of the boards still hadnt set so the bulkheads are just resting in place.. if it doesn't set in the week we will have to wipe off and put a stronger mix on.. not idea weather for epoxy though.

Dave also started installing the heater.. I'm not sure how far he got apart from the sight of ducting and vents.. 

She's coming together though..

I've got a little plan in my head...

End of august .. Showerroom finished.

End of September.. All Bulkheads up and all finishing completed.

End of October.. Kitchen In..

End of November.. Wheelhouse completed.. and headlining up..

End of December.. All running gear completed.. BSS exam and survey.. 

End of January ... Norfolk.. 

Lets see how this goes.. considering the slow pace of certain jobs.. I really don't expect to stick to this.. I'm thinking it will be nearer to easter than January (at best) but I think we need a slight push like this as its far too easy to get stuck with too much detail.. I certainly don't want to be stuck on this next year.. 

Few pictures included..

post-28066-0-58194300-1408994939_thumb.j

post-28066-0-76039400-1408994954_thumb.j

post-28066-0-50724600-1408994967_thumb.j

post-28066-0-90709100-1408994978_thumb.j

post-28066-0-16976000-1408995003_thumb.j

post-28066-0-36449900-1408995016_thumb.j

post-28066-0-14714900-1408995035_thumb.j

post-28066-0-27173500-1408995051_thumb.j

post-28066-0-27030700-1408995068_thumb.j

post-28066-0-87549500-1408995093_thumb.j

• Like 4

Thanks Doug... Sorry, but no, this one is costing enough in both money and time! as much as we would love to have a woody it's just no!.. Thanks.. Please.. ;)

Our last boat was a ply top boat and she used to keep me up at nights..shaking.. and when i got to sleep I had frequent nightmares about rotting timber!!  Thankfully I can now sleep at night and I don't fear the rain.. as I know this one isn't going to need more expensive repairs after a downpour! (when the wheelhouse on this one is self draining!!

But well done for taking her on again yourself! ;) Seriously and i'm sure as you know  the reward you will get when shes all finished will be all worth it! (whereas no will notice the amount of work we have done!!)

cheers

• Like 3

A good day today..

Started nice and early and the rain quickly vanished leaving blue skies!

Dave started off by trying to get the bathroom sink on but noticed he left the screws in wickes.. (Plank)... He then went on to putting a bead of silicon around the bathroom edges and did a good job it looks good.  Next he went onto to expoxing the back of the oak panels for the bulkheads as last weeks coat wasn't brilliant.. he mixed it really strong and it quickly went off.. Next onto celotex insulation the main bulkhead and finally installed most of these panel (looks posh!) ..

I put the privacy film on the bathroom window.. three times.. It was annoying me.. a lot! and I told it about it lol... Finally managed it though (have to really wet the glass.. and I did lol!)... looks good though. In the week dave installed the thru hull transducer tube for the nasa clipper depth gauge.. (It's just a plastic tube body filled to the inside of the hull.. but I just quickly added the oil to it and installed the transducer .. so thats one time consuming job done (although it only took an hour all together)... I then spent the rest of the day sanding and filling the sterndrive to prep it for repainting (it was a bit pitted but it's been saved using strong epoxy filler)...

We had a couple of visitors from other yacht club members and they all seem very impressed along with the usual comments of we are in the wrong job and should be doing this ... If only ;)

Tomorrow, trip to essex boat jumble.. hopefully we wont spend too much and don't need a lot but we have monday off from work so be nice to have a morning off from the boat too... Pictures tomorrow.. 

• Like 4

So yesterday... we went to the jumble.. it wasn't brilliant but we thought as we had today off work we would have a morning off... we went into sunny southend and had some grub.. and then onto lovely Leigh on sea for a wonder round (leigh is very east coast) On the way home we stopped off the discount chandlery and got some paint for the sterndrive and an ariel and some other bits.. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling brilliant so pretty much went to sleep early (had a migraine :( ) dave went over to the boat though and did some bits in the bathroom... So sorry no pictures yesterday.

Today we was meant to be moving the boat to a new spot in the club as they need to do some groundworks but it didnt happen but its kinda pencilied in for next weekend...Dave battled on with the bathroom.. so sinks in, taps on, sink plug was a right nightmare (the chrome one didnt fit and in the end we made things fit (took him a long time though).. loos in place, mirror and lighting is all in.. showers on the wall.. it stuck out a bit though so its hidden right in the corner..  and we aren't far off my deadline of today to finish it.. plumbing just needs to go on for the shower.. (shower tray board will want until I decide what grate I want - or find one).. and loo just needs its plumbing connected which can be done whenever... Looking good though..

Oh what did I do today... epoxy filled and sanded the sterndrive.. all bloody day.. (It needs a final sand and then can be painted.. thankfully its come up ok (Pictures when its finished and looks shiny (unless dave takes some!)...

post-28066-0-07158800-1409595609_thumb.j

post-28066-0-97324100-1409595616_thumb.j

• Like 2

The last week has been a bit stressfull/annoying as the yacht club where the boat is currently, needs to raise the land and we were told to move it today .. problem being Orca came in by hiab and was going out by hiab! The club does have a travel hoist but its tiny (Plus we came in via hiab lorry!), it's wheels are only 8 feet apart and orca is the usual 10feet 6.. plus its only 10feet 8 wide at best so we wasnt sure we would fit in it.. some careful driving and it did make it and we have been moved to a corner, well out the way of the work...  that does mean that we can launch into the water and do sea trials if we want to (not sure if we will but its good to know). We also got roped into moving a few other boats so we are both exhausted!

I did manage to get the transom plate all ready for painting which we will do tomorrow so I'll take some pictures :)

• Like 2

Wow young Alan a busy day indeed. You will be glad to get back to work on Monday for a rest. :naughty: Seriously, I bet you were checking and double checking the measurements all the time, moving the boat. Look forward to the pics as usual. You are getting sooooo close to the winning post.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Thank goodness Alan, just between you and me this place has gone mad today there's people everywhere, nice to have a bit of normality lol, look forward to the pictures tomorrow  ;)

Grace

Grace, not gone mad at all, the clue is in the wording...Forum. :naughty: Great to see so many names that know the Broads so well. I am sure their knowledge will prove fruitful on this forum NBN.....and some!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

:) I think it's nice to see more virtual faces :) although I am struggling to keep up with all the posts! but certainly the more the merrier!  ice slice

Iain it was very tight! There were words spoken that if she didn't fit in the hoist we would have to pay for a crane.. (My scottish heritage came out then with a suitable response!! and it fitted!).. we had to drive the hoist in and reposition acros and all sorts but it made it and it is nice to know she fits (reasonably comfortably) as so we can vacate by sea (and perhaps come to norfolk by sea!).. Looking forward to chilling now though and getting back to work (although we have been promised our old spot back!)

• Like 1

A whoopsy day today.. Orca has a hole in the hull! God only knows how someone managed that.. thankfully we did know it was there when we got the boat, although its made a mess! It looks like someone has got it stuck on a angle iron at some point and botched a repair of it, as usual, badly.. It will be a bit of a work to fix but we started already.. we flooded the bilges (on purpose) to clean it and remove the cardboard core and cut an access panel in the internal floor to gain access.. the hole will get much bigger we believe until we struggle to find strong material but it won't delay us and we aren't too concerned.. (just more work :( I'll keep people updated...

Other bits today (we had daves mum with us).. I gave up on the leg (no i really mean finished) and daves mum put the first coat of 2 pack epoxy (Hemple Light Primer) on... (sorry we didn't get pictures)..

I scraped about a 1/2 of the hull antifoul (This is bit when you will hear me screaming.. "we do not need a bigger boat" although it was a nice day and there no weeds on its new hardstanding spot.. its cleaning up ok and will just need a pressure wash and then underwater primer.. this was then when we decided to take the patch off and see whats underneath (like you do!).

Nice to get paint on the sterndrive but its a shame about the hole, certainly feels like a one step forward and 2 steps back day (although at least shes not timber!!).

post-28066-0-02305200-1410113555_thumb.j

post-28066-0-77949400-1410113564_thumb.j

post-28066-0-27133100-1410113573_thumb.j

post-28066-0-37489200-1410113584_thumb.j

post-28066-0-44432000-1410113593_thumb.j

post-28066-0-93425300-1410113603_thumb.j

post-28066-0-21362800-1410113613_thumb.j

post-28066-0-08067500-1410113621_thumb.j

• Like 3

Thanks Polly.. it really was hard work but don't tell the club we actually like the new spot we have a bit more space although can't see the boat from the sofa but I can live with that..

We was going to have a night off but as its lovely weather at the moment we really need to make the most of it..

I ran over (well slowly hobbled as everything still hurts from carrying the chocks around yesterday!) and under a lovely sunset I got another coat of 2 pack epoxy primer on the transom plate.. looks a bit better than it did.. looking forward to mounting it :) I'll stick another coat on tomorrow and then its read for the tie coat primer (then the special alloy antifoul (Black :) )...

Daves over there too cleaning up the hole which is looking worse and worse :( it's still an ok fix but again it's annoying that the previous owner didn't fix it properly... Hopefully he can get it clean and start laying back up this week..

post-28066-0-20505100-1410201405_thumb.j

post-28066-0-00107100-1410201415_thumb.j

• Like 2

The full extent of what appears to be a shark attack on the hull is clear.. The crack has been all brought back to fibres ready to be repaired it seems to measure about 6 inches by a couple of inches.. :cry  (The inside pic was taken yesterday and is now clean). Dave will slowly build it back up tomorrow evening... thankfully we have a ton of resin and matt so its not cost anything just time... :( poor orca...

post-28066-0-09855200-1410293322_thumb.j

post-28066-0-18506400-1410293329_thumb.j

• Like 1

What's it going to be then Alan, building up a good layer of resin and matting on the inside and then sorting the outside out?

Far to many years ago I was involved in work on a 50 foot trimaran. The owner was the MD of an engineering company I knew personally but he was also a fishing buddy of my boss, so I had to work at his company for a few weeks installing all the mod cons electronics of the time. The guys I was working with doing all fitting out had been at it for over a year.

When the day came for the launch it was slipped into the water but sadly kept going, it turned out the owner had bought the hulls very cheap and unfortunately they were all porous.

So when you launch make sure you plug all those holes.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

That sounds nasty Alan :( poor poor chap.. 

Thankfully theres no other holes in it (I've inspected every mm!) and only 2 seacocks :)

This is going to be a bit of work. basically it looks like its been scrapped a lot and worn through the hull (this is the lowest point).. so it needs building back up.. he has already feathered the edges to start with and ensured its clean and the existing fibreglass strands are visible (to bond to).. next he will just put a board underneath (with a plastic sheet to stop the resin from sticking) (pressed tight to the hull) and put a few patches of CSM and polyester resin on the inside.. Once dried remove the board and slowly try and build it up the profile on the outside again with CSM.. he (I would say "we" but he likes doing this stuff!) will need to start with small bits of glass to rebuild the profile bit by bit. it needs to be bit by bit as it will want to fall off and it will need to cure slowly so it will probably take a few days.

As the hull would have been made in a moulded we wont be able to make it look perfect but it should look ok and be strong again (and we will never treat the boat like this!), inside he will probably make the patch larger than the damage to further strengthen it and remake the middle d section using polyurethane foam carved roughly to shape and coat a with matting and resin... repaint and job done!  Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Unfortunately Dave sprained his ankle yesterday and at the moment he can't drive (and has the works van!) so we couldn't collect the timber boarding that I ordered.. although the timber yard were very understandable and will keep somewhere safe for us, hopefully we will collect next weekend.

He hobbled over to the boat though and got to work on the hole.. thankfully he done a really good job and with the warm day all patched quickly went off and its finished! even the D section! He even painted it with bilge paint... Whilst he was down here he drilt the shower pump waste trap and worked out where the shower bilge pump will go...

I had a painting day (I hate paint.. I get most of it on my hands.. but for once it was nice to do).. I focused getting the outdrive transom plate ready to be mounted... Reading the instructions on the tie coat primer I learnt (in really small writing) thatit should be put on with a semi cured coat of the epoxy (we are doing 2 pack epoxy primer, then underwater primer as a tie coat then finally antifoul or top coat).. I had already done the two epoxy coats.. but I just did another and then 2 underwater primers so its ready for the final top coat and can be mounted tomorrow (If we can find some bolts).

Once the patch over the hole was dry I pressure washed the hull and we found a free tin of underwater primer (it came with the boat!) once I spent 30 mins stirring it.. it had separated.. a lot!!  I threw it on.. we have a small repair to do on the stem underwater which is slowly being built up so I left that bit and will sand back and prime tomorrow.. 

Nice to see the hole fixed and primer on.. certainly good to do these types of jobs when its a nice day so when the weather gets nasty we will be inside doing the fit out.. 

post-28066-0-66413700-1410631579_thumb.j

post-28066-0-92616700-1410631589_thumb.j

post-28066-0-94871600-1410631599_thumb.j

post-28066-0-50670500-1410631632_thumb.j

post-28066-0-16840200-1410631649_thumb.j

• Like 4