Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Alan, I'm hoping to have enough space as you say to have a little plinth or drawer underneath as a pan storage area.  I know I will need to chop the back of the cabinets down to get them to fit (we are putting a household kitchen units in to save time), although I think it will fit ok!

To be honest with what I've seen on the range of LPG cookers for boats (excluding the fitted household ones) and ones that fit they all appear to be stainless steel type ones and as mentioned I kind of like the look anyway.. we have one at home and I know it don't stay shinny (nothing ever does :( but as long as it stays reasonable and doesn't melt and does the job then I'm happy.. :)  (Does anyone know of others then? I admit I've not looked too far and wide for these though (I've not got measurements to hand but 500 wide by maybe 400 deep)..

cheers all :) 

Alan, the married one :naughty:  being a retired Lecky  :naughty: yes, my Belling Double oven is 100% Electric the hob is gas. The space provided to connect the cable to any oven now is not easy, it is designed that way so you use proper qualified tradesmen.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hello Alan,

You did not mention which type of gas you are going to use Propane or Butane, propane is better in cold weather being the temprature can be very low before it freezes on butain you tend to see the tell tale signs of the bottom of the bottles frozen.

I have had a quick look at domestic propane cookers, here is a couple of links:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPINFLO-THETFORD-ASPIRE-LPG-COOKER-GRILL-HOB-SLOT-IN-BOAT-CARAVAN-/271563091421?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3f3a6beddd#ht_1157wt_721

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stoves-500-DIS-T3-LPG-Cooker-12volt-ignition-4-burner-hob-mobile-homes-boats-/250908629034?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Ovens_Hobs_Cookers&hash=item3a6b51d82a#ht_578wt_958

This might be better it can be used on butane or propane.

http://www.marinecookers.com/products/cooker-with-oven-2-burners

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

I think these are too big for us on this on this boat..

I'm thinking the moonlight:

http://www.marinesuperstore.com/item/99297299/smev-moonlight-3-burner-oven-grill

Starlight: http://www.marinesuperstore.com/item/99336080/smev-starlight-cooker-oven-with-grill-cabinet-2-burner-hob-marine-super-store

Or neptune: 

http://www.marinesuperstore.com/item/04857/plastimo-neptune-4500-cooker

They all seem to be around the £400 mark depending on where I look.

We probably want to be going for propane because we will want to use the boat out of season and as you say the freezing point is lower although at the moment there's a butane bottle in the locker so that may do for now! 

I got one of these from aquafax, its a nice cooker and although full height they have the back open and nothing at the bottom giving space from the hull, the cooker slots into the worktop hanging from it and then you add screws lower into the base units, it becomes a built in cooker so you do not have the pain in botty areas to try and clean such as beside the cooker!  aquafax did not have a picture so I picked another website.

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/thetfordspinflo-caprice-mk3-oven-575-p.asp

• Like 1

I must admit I like the look of that one Mark! I think its a bit big though :( I'll try and have a wonder around some caravan places though before we buy so I can look and measure... good tips though :)

Call into aquafax when you are up they have one on display, or i would assume someone closer to home might also have one to look at. Unlike many it has a 12v ignition that you can wire to the boats domestics, for me this is better than the AA battery in the front that others have. 

• Like 1

We bought a SMEV Moonlight 3 for Brilliant, and got a good deal from Norfolk Marine.

It's stainless as they all seem to be. It is OK but I have issues with a few points,

1 the oven rack tries hard to dump the food off towards the back, and often does(!)

2 the knobs get very hot indeed when grill or oven is on, this despite a slide out grill shield

3 the oven blows out if there is any air movement above the cooker..ours is below a hatch and near a porthole, so I find myself closing these to a mere crack when I'd rather have them open. It's got a fail safe but it's annoying.

On the plus side, the hob is good, the 12v supply gives ignition and an interior light, and the size is right for our saily.

• Like 1

You're welcome. :) I would just add as a footnote that we are putting in a slim stainless steel shelf a small distance above the vent to act as a foil F1 style ( :P) to deflect the down- draught, this should solve the issue of the oven. Of course with a conventional mushroom vent above this would not be an issue, but Brilliant isn't a boat I change! :)

You get used to being cautious with the racks/ grill pan. I really don't think the hot controls are good however!

• Like 2

Hi Polly,

What is the grill like? Our Smev grill is not very good for anything other than making very dry toast and very slowly at that. The oven is great however.

In the past we have had a few owners not pulling out the grill heat shield, which has effected the timber above the oven housing. 

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

The grill is a two slice wonder, I never came across a caravan/boat/ camping cooker that was any better. :)

Grilling bacon is ok, but I always fatless fry for preference. The oven is nice once the draught is conquered!

The grill guard is flimsy I think and easy to forget I guess, so I am not surprised you say that has happened in the syndicate.

Actually, Brilliant has a few tricks up her sleeve, 1929 on the surface but some 21st century features lurking in quiet corners. For example, we have shore power sockets inside a cockpit locker; the locker was originally the cooking locker in primus stove times, and in fact the easiest place to cook is in the cockpit, it's designed that way. So I keep a portable induction hob, electric kettle, blender, and soon a small toaster( see above:)) in another locker and they come out if we are on shore power.

Gas is saved, and, since I use the pressure cooker a lot on both cooking systems, we are pretty well sorted for low energy catering either way.

I had an Origo on Rondonay so we have come up in the world! Having said that though, I prefer meths to gas for safety.

Hi Polly,

To be honest it is amazing what can be done be done in a small galley space.

When we go on our canal trips if eating in we cook for 6 of us. I like cooking so do my share, the girls have taken the makings and have made meat & potatoe pies (they cheated slightly having ready to roll pastry and tinned steak) but rolled out the pastry using large pop bottles etc. I have done omelettes for 6 people.

On Ranworth Breeze out of season we do eat in more but with only two of us its a breeze regarding catering.

Regards

Alan

Agree. I recall taking our 6 month old camping with a pressure cooker and a super bluet Gaz in a box. We had a kettle and a frying pan and that was it. I recall someone in a neighbouring tent saying they had been fascinated to see what we got out of these basic tools. :)

• Like 1

:) I think I need to hold fire on buying the cooker until it can go straight in! The spare cabin on the hb is currently full of parts!

I think we will need to lag the pipes as they go in as the lagging just slips over the pipes and the pipes will largely be between the inner and outer hull so we will struggle to access them. 

cheers

• Like 1