Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

I sat in Brilliant with water sloshing around my feet, yes inside! We were at LBBY and it was September. Brilliant was held up by Big Tow on one side, tied to the quay heading on the other and there was an industrial pump aboard doing good work.

We were discussing the renovation that would be done as soon as they could get her on the yard.

Me: (reflectively) I think I will get a SMEV Moonlight 3 cooker.

Jason: (in disbelief) Pauline, I hope you understand there's a lot this boat needs before she gets a new cooker.

Me: I think Norfolk Marine will store it for me until it's needed, they have a special offer on......

The blokes thought I had lost it, but no, it was a cunning plan! Brilliant had an antediluvian cast iron cooker of little beauty and doubtful BSSC credentials aboard, it was loathing at first sight for me. It wasn't original, and was top of my hit list to go. :) I figured this restoration was going to go to the full estimate...it did... and that by the end, Phill would be increasingly keen to save ££ by...yes, keeping the monstrosity! So I bought it that day, Norfolk Marine kindly stored it and now it sits in our nice dry boat, looking lovely and easy to clean, but with admittedly hot knobs at times. :)

• Like 3

Lol.. remind me again why I don't have a wooden boat?! (Do you really sleep with one hand out the bunk so when the water gets high you get woken up and can swim to safety?!! ;)

Sounds a bit like my mum at the horning boat show.. the poor boat needed a cuddle and shes shopping for teak deck!

You can never let a deal go past though Pauline! 

I think we need to see some pictures of Brilliant ;)

Hi Alan,

I assume that you have already done some homework or will do before you fit out the area for the cooker.

My advice would be on deciding which cooker you are going to purchase is to get the full technical details such as the full sizes including the gas supply into the cooker. that way you can do a first fix with regards to pipework, you will need one of the small cut off taps near to the cooker (usually in a cupboard)and marked as such, "Gas Shut Off" to pacify the BSS.

Keep up the good work, you are getting very close now.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Sure have, these things are keeping me awake at night!

Thanks again, this really is the stage where it should quickly come together although theres still a mountain to climb!

Kitchen wise at moment we really need to decide on the cooker so we can carry on planning the kitchen and get the cabinet ordered (I know we should make them up but that would take weeks and for now its not worth the time!).  I have a rough idea where things are going (actually thats a lie I know to the nearest cm where things are going!).

We have already put in the gas pipe work although as you say the gas tap etc will go on once the cookers in and we know for sure how much space we have and a sensible place to put these.. obviously there's lots of other bits going on so the kitchen area is just one of these things to worry about (I don't know how my blood pressure copes with this!). 

At the moment we are looking at getting the electrics completed and daves gone back down into the engine room (the canopy is leaking like a sieve and the bilges keeping filling up so he's going to install the bilge pumps so to save us pumping it out...(we are going for 1 manual and 1 larger backup (float switch slightly higher) and a loud bilge alarm as it shouldn't have water down there really and we want to know about it!). He will probably want to get the duct work for the heater in too, water pipes are already in too so it did make sense to get the heater this week so effectively first fix will be completed soon (then veenered panels can go in... then fixings.. then headlining.. then curtains.. then relax!

• Like 1

Hi Alan - have a look at some of the Rule auto bilge pumps with the built in float switch .we fitted one but cant remember which model and it gave us no problems and are very easy to fit - the only drawback I could ever see in having one was if your bilge was dirty other than that it was all good

finny

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the interesting write up about your Sabre 28 restoration, all this talk about galleys, cookers and heaters is very interesting but sadly along way off for us. But nice to have a Guinea pig lol. I have been looking at water tanks and calorifier as I have been instructed to replace it all but her who must be obeyed.

Good luck with the rest of your project .

Doug.

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

I would go with Finny's suggestion and look at Rule pumps and float switches.

I had to replace one of ours whilst I was down at the boat a few weeks ago.

Both the float switch (part number 42-049) and the pump (a Rule 1000 square pump, 12 volts is very small, part number 42-047) are fitted into a stainless bracket, this is fastened to the lowest part in the engine bay by just a wing nut.  On our the float switch had gone but it had been in service on Ranworth Breeze since 2001. I replaced both the switch and the pump as a matter of course, but am keeping the old pump as a spare.

Brian Ward's price on the above was £19.80 for the switch, £26.35 for the pump (these prices include our discount and VAT)

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Geez lots of posts where do I start!

Thanks Finny and Alan for the tips on the rule pumps to be honest I have been looking at these and we will probably go down these lines, it certainly makes sense! Theres some I've seen too which don't have a mechanical float which look good too!

Thanks Doug, hopefully we wont be the "how not to do it Guinea pig"! I'm looking forward to reading your progress too, so please keep it coming! We'd love to have a woody but our pockets and time aren't deep enough (Our last boat was a sailing boat which was half timber and she was scary maintenance wise!) Good luck too and thanks again for doing your restoration! :bow  The broads wouldn't be the broads without these stunning boats!

Pauline (polly) thanks for the pictures! She looks lovely (and Brilliant!)! as above the broads needs these lovely boats so well done for restoring her!  :bow

The built in float switch is the type that I had Alan on a three way switch ,off ,auto or manual .I also recall my pump hardly making any noise ...when leaving the boat on shut down I used to throw a bucket of water down the bilge just to make sure everything was fine I even considered fitting two just in case of failure

Finny

• Like 1

Quick mid-weekend update..

During the week we got the shower room floor primed and 1st coat of gloss.. The walls in there have also been smoothed off so its ready for the shower covering.. Unfortunately the supplier was out of stock of this but they called me yesterday and advised its back in stock and will be with us monday so we can make a start on this midweek.

The heater parts arrived.

Today we went to canvey island chandlery and spent £160 on hardly anything (well no we brought a solar vent, 10 meters of loo pipe and stainless skin fittings.. Also they had some cookers in stock!! We both like the look of the moonlight.. it does feel better built and doesn't have too much stainless steel ;) I think we will put up with hot knobs ;) I didn't buy but only because they didnt have a new one in the box and I want it new! 

Back after lunch... solar vent put in above the shower room! And we put our two little vetus stainless mushroom vents in above the kitchen and dinette... this seemed to take ages (although it was a bit of a work as we had to measure cut glue etc... We also glued down the pullpit as these have been left loose after doing the headlining.. although this was a pain too as the bolts had to be cut down to go in a doomhead bolt.. but looks neat. Finally this evening we installed the bolt switches and a light switch panel..

I'll get pictures of bits tomorrow.. promise! 

Todays update (and Picture update!).

Dave wanted to get the gas locker drain in mainly because the leaky canopy leaks straight in there and the way its been raining at the moment we almost have a fish tank... Unfortunately the bespoke gas locker is about a foot thick and it took some time to do this and I made him start and finish it as theres too many uncompleted tasks.. We finished off with putting the posh stainless steel skin fittings on...

I was getting bored (and to make dave hurry up) I started unscrewing the screws in the wheelhouse windows and removing the nasty softwood window trims.. We ordered and collected sapele batterns a few weeks ago (and I varnished a few weeks too).. so I thought it would be good to get these done... We had a scary moment that I didn't order enough (and they wasn't cheap!) but quick maths I worked out the best way to use these and only had two 6inch off cuts spare (Close call though!).. It looks soo much better now (Pictures don't do it justice!).. It wasn't too bad to do.

Finally a bit of tidying up and the final gloss coat on the shower room floor ready for the shower covering to go on..

We was planning on going up to norfolk next weekend but we think we will stay here and use the 3 days to get a bit done.. I may even order a couple of sheets of the oak finish boards to start and finish some of the walls of... I'm starting to worry about the weather turning and getting stuck with cutting the boards... But fingers crossed the weather will be dry.

post-28066-0-04922400-1408299224_thumb.j

post-28066-0-48627800-1408299252_thumb.j

post-28066-0-03013700-1408299271_thumb.j

post-28066-0-32077500-1408299291_thumb.j

post-28066-0-13932500-1408299396_thumb.j

post-28066-0-99635000-1408299415_thumb.j

post-28066-0-05605900-1408299441_thumb.j

post-28066-0-27876600-1408299458_thumb.j

post-28066-0-76796200-1408299531_thumb.j

post-28066-0-83884900-1408299548_thumb.j

post-28066-0-32763800-1408299561_thumb.j

post-28066-0-02325700-1408299575_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks Alan appreciate your comments :)

I know we arent making it easy on ourselves to try and do it well but every little step at a time.. I must admit though I think we are both at that stage we just want it done.. But standards won't slip.. be nice to get the shower room finished next weekend...