Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Hello Alan,

I see you are going for the standard door format on the shower/toilet compartment. Because the door has to open outwards, you will be forming a rebate on the inside of the door. It is normal to make this in hardwood in two halves. Ours is in light oak, but can be a pain if the shower curtain clings to the door, the result can be water going down the door and through the rebate. It may be prudent in your design to to add a drainage channel into the bottom of the door rebate frame with a couple of drainage holes (could be a couple of small plastic tubes)to bring any water back into the shower tray.

Maybe Clive will let us know how they solve this problem.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hello Alan,

I see you are going for the standard door format on the shower/toilet compartment. Because the door has to open outwards, you will be forming a rebate on the inside of the door. It is normal to make this in hardwood in two halves. Ours is in light oak, but can be a pain if the shower curtain clings to the door, the result can be water going down the door and through the rebate. It may be prudent in your design to to add a drainage channel into the bottom of the door rebate frame with a couple of drainage holes (could be a couple of small plastic tubes)to bring any water back into the shower tray.

Maybe Clive will let us know how they solve this problem.

Regards

Alan

We had exactly that problem when we hired a twilight from Herbert Woods. I had the aft en-suite, and when i had a shower, i stepped into the cabin and got wet feet. The door was a standard square door, but with squared edges, and no drip channel. When the shower curtain (which i forgot to mention was about 3 inches too short) got wet, it simply clinged to the door allowing the water to run straight into the cabin (i also forgot to mention the toilet door actually shut ONTO, and not INTO the cabin side of the bulkhead). And yes, there actually WAS a puddle of water in the corner.

If i was making your door Allan, i`d make it square, with an inward bevelled edge ( lowest edge in the shower compartment), AND also as an extra precaution, an angled drip strp on the inside bottom  face.

On many of the boats i`ve hired from Maffetts have had this, and we never had any leakage.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.. some brilliant tips there... I think we will be changing the door so i'll certainly put some thought into it :) I think we still want a rounded door though to add a bit of character to it .. but I'll let everyone know :)

Weekly Update!

We didnt do much during the week as it flew by however we did get the other bulkhead in place and reduced the size of the heads room.. We only took 1 inch off oneside and 2 inches off the the other.. it feels much better now and works well. This meant though the shower tray had to be reglassed in too. So that was done and its ready for paint now.

We also installed the UFO mushroom vents this was a big job as the actual hole in the roof was too big (Rookie mistake!) but the vetus vents were only £5 on ebay so it was worth doing.. We just glassed some ply on the inside and filled/repaired/recutted/painted/installed! job done in a day and they look good... it was worth it as surprisingly they allow more air to come in. (Note: The mushroom vents before where 110mm cut out and I couldn't find any UFO vents this big so I wasn't just being tight! we had to fill really).

We also installed the spot light and started on the maze of electrical work.

We also went shopping yesterday and got lots of timber and finalised the kitchen design. I need to order the heating and cooker sometime soon too... So she's really coming along now.. wont be long ;)

Couple of pictures attached.

post-28066-0-92325500-1407093554_thumb.j

post-28066-0-39161300-1407093564_thumb.j

post-28066-0-69424800-1407093580_thumb.j

post-28066-0-33506200-1407093592_thumb.j

post-28066-0-72434900-1407093604_thumb.j

post-28066-0-56657800-1407093612_thumb.j

post-28066-0-24800800-1407093621_thumb.j

post-28066-0-64834200-1407093632_thumb.j

• Like 3

Weekly update:

Quiet week as we really need to do a timber order. 

Although we have ran all the cables and surprisingly we appear to have ordered enough cable first time?!

We did reduce the size of the shower and it feels good now! but it meant a bit of work.. i.e we had to reduce and reglass the shower sump. We also reduced the thickness and the opening of the door but as I say it feels much better now.. The sink has also been placed and the wall it will go onto built out, reinforced to the sink and squared off (that was fun!). I've ordered the wall covering for the shower room so next weeks job is to install that.  Finally today the floor was primed in the shower.

I'm with your mum on this one Jaws, more photos please lol

How long now do you estimate her being finished and do you intend taking her straight to the Broads, also will you try and bag a mooring where your mums boat is? Sorry, don't mean to appear nosey, just that I have been following this from the start and very interested. Even my boys are asking if that Jaws man has finished his boat yet lol  :kiss

Grace

Lol Grace, at the moment it doesn't look any different from last week (apart from theres more wires everywhere!)... :( I think mum wasn't sure how to go the previous page! :shocked

We are really aiming to be finished this side of January (that will be 12 months then), I had a bit of a stress moment yesterday because it slowed down a bit and we really need to getting the timber veenered boards delivered although its a pain because they will need to be cut to shape in one day as we don't have a shed and that's a big job (and we need 8 full size boards!), it also doesn't help we are back to norfolk week after next (but I need to look at cookers in wroxham marine before I can order the kitchen)  Arrgghh my head... we are trying to break it down now though and start doing room by room (so shower room this week/next weekend).. then front cabin.. etc.. 

I sat down yesterday and finalised lots more parts so now know pretty much every part required to build it (which alone is a huge and forgotten job!)... I think worst case we may just slip into easter next year though depending if we get dry weather to cut the boards and I can get the boards delivered in helpful batches... but I certainly don't see it going into next summer which is good :)

We will bring her straight up to norfolk (probably by road) as soon as shes done... theres no point messing around down here.. so hopefully up there for easter time  :party1:

My parents are in Eastwoods yard which is in brundall but we wouldn't go in there as its expensive and thankfully no space! We have always started from brundall with the hire boats so don't know any different but I think I'd like to be on the end of rivers.. so places like wayford bridge (I need to talk to Jon at some point!), stalham, or maybe Loddon... I'd love to based in ranworth though but I think there's a long waiting list there. Loddon though has a nice feel and I think would make a good base.. But I'm not too fussed really although really. (If anyone has spare moorings for Easter time.. please let me know)..

Keep reading though Grace.. next week the shower room will be almost finished  cheersbar

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

With regards to the cooker, what are you going for, a hob and an oven or a standard cooker.

We have a gas hob and gas oven.
The oven is ok but the grill is pants, there are lots of topics about grills in general being not very good working off of propane or butane.

You may be better off checking out caravan or recreational vehical (campers) suppliers, rather than the usual suppliers. After saying that if Brian Wards can quote you on anything the 10% off for being a forum member might come in handy.

Regards

Alan

What do you mean it doesn't help being in Norfolk the week after next, of course it does, what better way to de-stress and unwind, what's the matter with you man lol. Just kidding, will all be worth it in the end I'm sure.

Any where on the Broads is a good place to have your mooring in my opinion, except Yarmouth, we have only moored there twice in all the years we have been hiring, I found it terrifying getting on and off the boat (bit of a wimp) never again and of course I will keep reading, it's brilliant the way you tell it.

Grace

Hi Alan,

I'm planning on they typical marine stainless oven with built in hob... (i.e Dometic - Moonlight or starlight).  We had a look in Wroxham marine and there was one I liked but I stupidly didn't note it down.. but there was also one which felt very poorly built.. so I'm going to check.. 

We had similar on Jessica and it worked well. We have a cheap buthane oven an hob on the houseboat which works sometimes but the space is limited on this boat and can't really do this. 

If I do like a dometic one thankfully (and a very good tip there) supply caravans too (The camping store in blofield and camping international here in medway supply them) so i will be able to source like you say from there and the price should reduce down a bit! Thankfully too though my local chandlers do all they can to price match so I can just go in there, he does hate me though because I'm really good at finding the best price! Bryan wards though are also very very good though sometimes I cant beat them and have brought from them before (my parents use them a lot)..

Thankfully cooking off buthane on the houseboat means I'm used to it and now enjoy burnt food!..

The broads are much better than here Grace, here we have 7 metre tides (so the rise and fall is 7 meters!) so you need a ladder to get on and off and it drys out for km's so you can only get to the boat 2 hours each side of high water!) and the tide on the estuary runs very fast (like yarmouth).. yesterday we had 2 foot waves even in the marine and one boat even broke off its moorings and could be lost :(... I can't wait for the calm off norfolk!

• Like 1

Alan, may I put in my tuppence worth here regarding stainless steel hobs/cookers. They look great when new, but can be a bit of a bu&&*r to keep clean. The White ones scrub up well with many types of cleaner. As for changing the shower room size, quite right too, keep the spare cabin room available for ships stores instead. :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

If you can plan your galley to take a full height cooker, then have a look around at domestic suppliers, just look for a LPG cooker, they often come with natural gas jets and the LPG jets just supplied for you to change out yourself.

When running the gas pipe don't run less than a 3/8 pipe if you want to be using hob burners and oven together, also don't be fooled into thinking 3/8 pipe and 10mm are the same, as if anyone comes to repair or ad to the system in the future they will be quite peeved if they find 10mm!

Unless you are spending over £600 all the marine cookers look a bit lacking in the build quality department.

What were you doing at Wroxham marine looking at cookers? thats where Sheerline boats are built (in Thorpe) I think you mean Norfolk marine in Wroxham. :naughty:   

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.  We are a bit limited on the space for the kitchen on here so I'm trying to aim for a cooker of 500mm width otherwise we wont have much kitchen, the full size household ones are 600mm I think (but we have one on the houseboat and as you say are a good alternative!

I quite like the look of the stainless steel cookers Iain :( lol I'll just have to get a cleaner!

Sorry Mark, I forgot its Norfolk marine although I'll happily walk around sheerlines if they let me (Wroxham in thorpe though!? lol), that "Kingfisher" boat is amazing! I'll let dave know about the gas bits as that's his department and I'm not sure what he's using...

Annoyingly the shower room covering is out of stock for 2 weeks so the shower room is on hold for now. Tom at JPC contacted me and offered to post the heater to us and that should be with us this week so that can be installed. 

This evening dave primed the shower room again and varnished the dash and door.

companies move, thats how you get Wroxham Marine in Thorpe, and Roys of Wroxham in Hoveton (and other locations!) only in the last couple of years since buying the filling station have Roys returned to Wroxham its self.

500mm domestic cookers i believe are common, but its the hull side that gets in the way on the bottom back edge of the cooker depending on how far fwd the galley is. 

• Like 1

lol I think Iain thats more of an excuse to eat out! I'll have a good look round!

Mark your are right thats the other thing I need to measure is how deep the base is as the inner hull lining on the tapers in quickly and I dont really want to cut it about... geez.. tape measure added to the packing list :)

• Like 1

cheers John!

I was trying to count how many hours to start with but when we moved the boat close to home so we can work in the evening that became impossible :( 

I'm hoping we can do this in 12 months roughly.. (That's been the average for us before)..

So 52 weeks in a year.. 2 of us work 2 days a week for roughly 12 hour days (I'm ignoring week days because the odd weekend we have off should counteract this). so that's roughly 2500 hours.. which isn't bad considering what work will have been done :) I do hope this one doesn't go over the 12 months though! it's so hard doing 7 day weeks!

Hi Iain,

Is that what you have been told or are you donning the marigolds :naughty:

Regards

Alan

Perrish the thought Alan, I only clean it when SWMBO is away :naughty:  As for the oven, I only repair it. Its far tooo low for me to reach inside :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Hi Iain,

Are we talking about an electric or gas oven?

As you rightly known that electric ovens are grossly over prices for what inside them and most people would hold up their hands in horror if they looked in the back from the 30 or 40 amp cable that terminates onto all of those crimped spades.  Like yourself I have replaced almost every part in our double oven over the years. This applicence can not be compared to the God like item that is the washing machine :bow  :bow  :bow that must be repaired at all costs my SWMBO, Tan gets twitchy when ever it misses a beat. We had our old one for the best part of twenty years plus and was like "Triggers Broom". 

Sorry back to the post.

Alan dependant on the size of  cooker (height) are you going to put this on a storage plinth, if so this will allow for the curvature of the hull. Any storage is good but remember to ventilate it.

Regards

Alan

Regarding that stainless cooker.......

Have a look at your stainless sink at home and I bet it

doesn't shine any more and is covered in minute

scratches which won't come off with polishing! 

Don't be tempted by the lovely shine alone but think

with your head as to what it will look like in a few months

after being cleaned umpteen times :cry

An enamel'd one can come in various colours and won't

look pants in a few weeks.

Just my opinion  :cool: