Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Like any guid job young Alan its twa steps furrard wan back.  As one who was use to having his mits dirty most days, I refused to ware gloves! (Only a left hand wraggling one) However today, with so many cheap shops selling these throwaway gloves, may prove handy. If not too late?

Ever closer to the winning post ! :clap

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

cheers chaps..

I was doing ok until i got to the underwater primer bit...  it dries instantly so its stuck now :( it's a lovely shade of pink too!

I do always think of putting gloves on but normally after it's too late!! I'll look out for the wipes though as that sounds like a good idea!

I'm so looking forward to that winning post...

cheers

• Like 2

Thanks Gracie..cheers dave has done really well fixing the hole so quickly.. he's getting good with glass repairs (although had lots of experience :cry it's mad what a coat of paint does.. shame it's a weird colour :) his foots not looking good... he works on his feet so I think he will be off resting for a few days although i'll find him some work to do whilst he's resting lol ;)

• Like 1

Hi Alan

Just spotted this thread today and have read it right through (too much time on my hands some might say!!!!)

I've really enjoyed reading it and think you are doing a fantastic job. When you look at the boat when you started to how it looks today is such a transformation.

You must get a real sense of achievement.

I also think the way others are offering advice and suggestions is great.

What a forum is all about

David

Ps. Best wishes to Dave, hope his ankle is soon better

• Like 1

Hi David, Thanks for your comments.. A project is certainly very hard work and the rate we do them its hard to take a year out of life to do it.. but you are certainly right..it's an unexplainable feeling (and relief) when it's done.. it also means we get a boat to our taste (and thankfully with this one lots of new bits for the price of a boat needing work!).. but I really can't explain how much I want my life back and to relax on the boat!!

This forum is a huge help not only the amazing support and help offered but for keeping me motivated!  :lineup:

Thanks too for your comments about daves foot.. we've had a day off today to allow him to rest and I'm a bit burnt out too.. although I've designed the kitchen and he's looking up the parts manual for the outdrive finalising what parts we need! I've also had a good look round the internet for moorings!

• Like 3

I've been working hard on the sterndrive lately.. it was a bit pitted with electrolysis so I've had to work with a dremal and a tiny brush to remove all the damage and get back to good material.. then epoxy fill it, sand smooth.. then 3 coats of 2 pac epoxy undercoat, then 3 coats of underwater primer then 5 coats of topcoat.. I still need to work on the leg itself.. but for motivation we installed the transom plate and it's nice to see mounted after all this work.. it looks like a new (at least reconned unit)..

post-28066-0-44599000-1411067271_thumb.j

post-28066-0-19116800-1411067280_thumb.j

• Like 5

We really aren't having much luck.. yesterday we went to start daves car to run down the timber yard to collect the oak ply boards for the bulkheads and the bloody car started but the battery warning light came on.. My car doesn't have roof bars so we need his car.. A bit of running round and we found a part but too late to grab the timber .. next week... so it screwed us a little for the weekend as we really need to finish the bulkheads off.. plus we have daves mum down for extra hands and a bit worried she would be bored.

However yesterday the club wanted to move the boat back to its old spot as the hardstanding surface has been finished.. that took most of yesterday to do as the travel hoist just about fits.. plus the hardstanding surface now makes it hard to take the acros.. but all good!

Today, we did a few little odd jobs;

• Put the bow cleat back on,
  • refit the drain for the chain locker,
  • painted inside the chain locker,
  • installed the heater ducts and thermoducting,
  • made up and installed the oak trim around the window (Which took hours as we had to remove the hatch to get the shape of the window (it kinda leaked anyway) and was a pain to do.. it looks nice though.
  • Started cutting out the dashboard because dave wants to get electrics done in the evenings now.

Also our friend who makes canopy came over and stole our canopy to fix the cracked windows and make some improvements to it (Mainly put more zips as its either all canopy or no canopy).. so we had to put a sheet over.

So we didn't do too bad we are all exhausted... timber next week though :)...

post-28066-0-96395200-1411322966_thumb.j

post-28066-0-86183800-1411322979_thumb.j

post-28066-0-92319700-1411322987_thumb.j

post-28066-0-20162600-1411322996_thumb.j

post-28066-0-75720400-1411323002_thumb.j

• Like 5

Thanks guys..

cheers:) we are both in the need of a holiday! but I think we are still enjoying it (just).. I admit though the last couple of weeks have been annoying! but its certainly nice to tick some of these jobs off.. these are the little jobs which will take time but need doing. 

Grace I think your right.. we don't see the improvements.. I know what the finish should look like as its all mapped in my head (typical project manager ey).. so until its finished its hard to be positive.. but your right its coming together.. slowly slowly ;)

• Like 1

Alan,

What is it that was said..."Rome wasn't built in a day" I rewired a very large cattle market many years ago, you think by the end of it you were on nodding terms with the cattle that came in there, it took ages. Patience and aye, deffo a holiday laddie is what is required. But, get that dod of wood fitted first :naughty:

You can be a project manager, but bosses have the last word! :bow  :naughty:

Only joking, honest :liar

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Alan, of course I'm right I'm a woman Lol, seriously though, in a couple of posts back you seemed a bit down hearted, just trying to cheer you along and so is Iain in Iains way  :naughty: so keep your chin up and think this time next year you'll be on the Broads and I'll be asking to borrow the boat, seeing as I'm being so nice how can you say no  :kiss

Grace

• Like 2

Thanks guys.. I really appreciate your comments and they are just what I need!  cheersbar  i didn't realise I was coming across like that but in a way its nice to read back the ups and downs (So the next one I can prove once and for all it's a no!!) but it is certainly getting to me a bit at the moment.. and we are pushing ourselves hard now...

I think we are on to finish around easter and we will at least going to spend easter either on the boat or in a hotel looking for moorings! Next summer though we will definitely have 3 weeks on her!  cheers  :dance

• Like 4

Quick update.. Dave spend a few hours last night on electrics as I put the switch panel in and apparently he made good progress..

Just for the blog too (and just my luck) I spent this morning in Medway Hospitals A&E as whilst putting in the window frame I got an eye full of fibreglass dust (I really hate fibreglass!!).. I was all manly and waited three days before going to the docs though(I got told off and they sent me off to A&E), the nurses couldn't find anything though but gave me the creams and told me to go back in three days if no better.  If we can get away with this being the only trip to A&E then that will be good! 

• Like 1

Blimey Alan, you two are not having much luck what with Dave and his ankle as well (hope it's better) not surprised you got told off you should have gone as soon as it happened, I don't know, what are we going to do with you? if you don't take care of that eye I will tell your mum  :kiss

Grace

• Like 1