Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Hi Alan,

When I was googling around.. I was always coming up with Arrow staples so they still seem popular.

Just to add we used a black and decker easy stapler.. these are opposite of normal staplers apparently (I'm no expert) and meant I use use the stapler to pull the material tight before stapling in place.. it did a good job though :) (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-5035048043806-X72012-Easyshot/dp/B0000C6Y3F)%C2'>

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

Pete one of my mates has on of the Black & Decker staplers, it is a slightly different operation.

The last time we both used these was for attaching heavy duty canvas onto some frames we had made and others we had repaired to use as flats back stage, four of us do voluntary work back stage at the local community centre.

I found it was always best to slightly stretch any material being stapled.

I guess you will be tackling the upholstery in due course, so your trusty stapler will come in handy.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

That sounds a nice thing you do there :) I really got on with that stapler.. I remember doing the headlining boards on our last little cruiser and remembering it was hard work (I think we used a big two handed lean on top of it one.. these ones I did in a day and I don't remember any pain :) 

Unfortunately / fortunately we will be (hopefully) outsourcing the upholstery work to a professional outfitter! I know my limits.. plus I think it's best to get a truly professional finish on the cushions with some nice material.. plus it will be nice to get others to do this! I've had a quote of £600 although I suspect it to raise closer to a £1000. I still have to make up the leather punnets around the curtains though and I want to make some nice matching leather headboards in the front cabin so it will still get used :)

cheers 

• Like 1

Thank you John :) Many evenings reading and research.. Although I really can't anywhere near all of the credit as dave and I skills, compliment each other :) (and he's good at doing it my way)

Quick update:

Midweek:

Dave's ran the toilet hoses between the engine bay and the loo.  He also ran the ran shower waste. Our cookers also arrived although will stay in its box (Currently taking up space in our wheelhouse on the houseboat although the cat is enjoying sitting on it!).  We ordered the fuel line which is compatible with the BSC.. we noticed that the lines we had in there didn't match the requirements so.

Today we tackled the headlining in the wheelhouse roof, we had to spend a few hours cleaning the roof first as it was coated in grime.. we choose to cheat a little and just glue it up directly to the fibreglass (properly).. I think it's meant to have plywood boards up there but that will reduced the head height and would have been lots of work.. We managed to finish it all off today though so another big job done.. (Looks good though.. I did consider painting it but pleased we didn't)... Thankfully this only took a few hours so we managed to do a few other little tasks.. namely;

Fitted the tank vents (Fuel and water), we went for really nice recessed ones found on posh boats (although I sourced from Timage and they were cheaper than normal ones), these went in reasonably easily (although Dave had to squeeze in between the outside and inside hulls which is a bit tight now).. they look good though.. 

I also brought some very nice deck scuppers (From Timage again!) (although they were only £13!) which go in the wheelhouse floor, we have to cut out the old ones which were just crappy bath plugs (Seriously yuck!).. Th new ones where a bit small for the hole already in there but we made them fit.. The tek dek flooring will go over the top anyway to neaten it up well and keep it watertight (although it doesn't really get wet now after refitting the canopy).

Tomorrow..little jobs like make up the window punnets and probably start on the internal timber trims, also we have one fender eye and cleat to install on the outside (hopefully the rains stay away).. 

• Like 3

Tomorrow..little jobs like make up the window punnets and probably start on the internal timber trims, also we have one fender eye and cleat to install on the outside (hopefully the rains stay away).. 

Oye young Alan, whats this "probably" thing/bit, no slacking allowed :norty:  really, talk about part time boat builders! :naughty:

By all accounts a good days work was completed, good, well done. So up with the lark or whatever birds are at your moorings in the morning. Onwards and upwards what! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

p.s. You can tell I was a foreman at one time! :naughty:

• Like 1

Lol Iain.. seagulls ;)

weekends are a bit tough.. It's trying to do the big jobs although the big jobs need big money (headlining today was £100).. vents and scuppers were £60 alone! I also only expected to do headlining this weekend so tomorrows a bit of little jobs..I'm thinking ordering wheelhouse timber for next weekend (that should keep us busy!) but we also need to be careful that anything we do doesn't damaged from work afterwards or is done in order so the next thing can be done then (or not to hinder the next job)... I'm sure you know what I mean... its now some careful planning.. nice to be final bits though ;)cheers

• Like 1

Iain.. I think she wants pics of the boat.. She's seen my facebook pic when I posted on here once ;)

Yes, that's really the plan,  although it's only timber trimming and carpet left in the forward cabin, which needs to wait until the floors down, which I'm putting off for a bit as I don't want to lay it for it to get damaged so little jobs elsewhere.. I also want to try and get the weather dependant work done (like ply sheet work) as these have to be cut outside.. other considerations are trying to get things done for the BSC as so we can get to norfolk even if theres finishing left to do.. It's certainly hard work to plan and manage.. I think we are doing well (We learnt from before!! redoing jobs which were done in the wrong order is sad!). cheers

• Like 2

Pics below :)

Today was a lovely blue sky day. We had to go shopping in the morning for parts, cat food and coal (in that order!).. back at just to 11 so down tools until just after 11.. the club had a remembrance event which was thought provoking.

We started off by installing the aft cleat and missing fender eye... both took some time.. then onto making the two punnets .. again these took some time due the shapes involved.. but look a bit different (They will be covered with some nice real leather.. I also went round and tried to seal the odd leaky screw in the wheelhouse window (we have 3 screws left although creaping crack sealant is slowly working) Finally today we cut the holes and ran the pipe work for the loo and that just needs attaching. 

Pics show the headlining, (It looks better than in the pics).. posh tank vents (again excuse the mess.. she needs a wash).. bathroom wall trimmed, forward cabin vents and lighting and punnets being fabricated.

post-28066-0-19719900-1415565907_thumb.j

post-28066-0-69524800-1415565918_thumb.j

post-28066-0-67144200-1415565926_thumb.j

post-28066-0-14697800-1415565935_thumb.j

post-28066-0-31932100-1415565945_thumb.j

post-28066-0-99331700-1415565974_thumb.j

post-28066-0-18416000-1415565982_thumb.j

• Like 6

We are still going...!

So midweek, Dave got the fuel tank plumbed in and relaxed a bit.. I didn't do much lol

Today as the weather wasn't brilliant we tackled the heater install, to be honest it wasn't as bad as we thought and it's largely in.. the webasto kit isn't brilliant though some parts are bad quality and just not up to the job.. the instructions are crap too.. so if you do try and install one of these yourself, you really need to have a mechanical background (Dave did most of it!). but it's largely in we just need to connect up some of the cabling.

Whilst I wasn't deciphering the instructions for Dave I was washing the boat as she got really dirty.. the paintwork came back though as she's a nice bright white again!

Couple of pictures attached.. Mainly showing the lighting working and the tiny webasto thermostat which is all we have to show for a days work (you don't want to see the heater installed)... (and it was too dark to take a picture of the skin fitting!)..

post-28066-0-71503800-1416077430_thumb.j

post-28066-0-42446100-1416077437_thumb.j

post-28066-0-61632400-1416077445_thumb.j

post-28066-0-81950000-1416077451_thumb.j

• Like 4

Loving the lights Alan, they look lovely. Don't get me started on Instruction booklets David......the one's that say it takes two people an hour to assemble and three hours later you're back where you started and having a huge domestic with your other half Lol

Thanks for the pictures Jaws, no withdrawal symptoms this week :kiss

Grace

• Like 3

Hi young Alan,

Nice to see the heating nearly installed. As for instructions, in 1971 I installed one of the first Sauna Units in a hotel in Ayr. I say installed, it was like wiring a power station :naughty:  My major problem being errrr ALL the instructions were in Finnish :naughty: There were loads of wiring diagrams but in those days they had a different colour codeing compared to here. My boss at the time, had to send the instructions to a linguist in Edinburgh to put the instructions into English. 

Soooo what I am trying to say is, well done getting it all connected, and your still talking to Dave! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

Loving the lights Alan, they look lovely. Don't get me started on Instruction booklets David......the one's that say it takes two people an hour to assemble and three hours later you're back where you started and having a huge domestic with your other half Lol

Thanks for the pictures Jaws, no withdrawal symptoms this week :kiss

Grace

Yeah, but you women ALWAYS ask us men to do something, then suggest we`re doing it wrong,when you don`t know how to do it yourselves.

Half the time, i throw away the instructions and just build the things. I`ve never had any problems doing that either.

• Like 1

Thanks All, those instructions really were reading between the lines.. but at least its in and we are still talking.. I think it needed us both.. one reading and one doing lol that's my excuse anyway!  I get you there Iain..these where clearly badly translated from German!!

Today's update;

We prepared the wheelhouse for the timber sideing (it will be mahogany and look nice).. we had a few screw holes leaking though which needed sorting so this was done, also tided some cabling up etc...

Also we tackled the pelmets (whatever you call them!).. these have been coated with recycled black leather (not pleather which dave called it.. yeah i made him smell it..).. it is real leather but just been reformed and bit cheaper but still expensive enough!.. I wanted to use a chocolate brown but they didn't have stock so had to order Black.. to be honest I didn't quite like the black but it's starting to grow on me and it does look ok.. we have had to do these quite large too due to the shape of the superstructure but again I think it's worked and broken up all the white.. We also installed the LED strips and connected them up.. we had a little problem with one of them and it went up and a down a few times (and it wasn't easy to install as the fixings are all hidden... 

With the lights installed I'm pleased with the finish though (it's hard to capture on my phone) but it does look very nice and it's nice to have lots of mood lighting.. (we don't really need the spot lights on)... (can anyone see far horizon yet??).. 

post-28066-0-77757900-1416164076_thumb.j

post-28066-0-38100200-1416164084_thumb.j

post-28066-0-05509500-1416164094_thumb.j

post-28066-0-39675300-1416164169_thumb.j

post-28066-0-22809600-1416164181_thumb.j

post-28066-0-75055400-1416164191_thumb.j

post-28066-0-56727000-1416164200_thumb.j

post-28066-0-35768000-1416164214_thumb.j

post-28066-0-60535000-1416164227_thumb.j

• Like 5

Thanks Grace..

I always felt like we gave up on the interior on the last boats so I really want to do a good job and prove (to myself) that we can get a similar look on the nice posh modern boats.. If we can then I'm happy (I'm sure we are a long way off the professional standard though and I know we can't get anywhere near the likes of broom etc). 

Hi Alan,

I personally think you & Dave are doing a first rate job and should be proud of what you have accomplished during your boats rebuild not only because you have rallied on all of the problems you have uncovered but you have given the forum members hours of enjoyment reading all of your progress.

Many forum members have offered advice, tips and have felt involved in your project, and in turn have taken away a lot of knowledge that will be useful on their own boats.

The only problem is now that you may end up with the current forum membership wanting to inspect all of your work when you get to the Broads early next year.

Well done mate, please keep updating your reports and pictures.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Thanks for your kind words Alan cheers I don't think we have any problem if the boat becomes famous although there will always be the odd bit to finish off so hopefully people don't look too closely :shocked .. But we will have to come to a few forum meet up's and show her off :)