Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

Hi Grace and Alan,

NEVER believe a word the Daily Mail says about up here :norty:  It has a circulation of about 500 copies at best!

If I get a nice clear day over the Firth of Clyde to Arran and there is snow on Goat Fell I will get the camera out and snap a few pics.

As I live in the gulf stream, snow here is a rare commodity at best of times. IF however we do get a  fall here, it usually means the rest of the UK grinding to a halt!

I have seen it deep up the A9 at Aviemore and beyond and over at Breamar. Also where my Sister in Law lives, Linlithgow, although not far from Edinburgh, it appears to kop big time quite often in the winter months.

I think the Mail meant possibly 3 to 5ft drifts up North of Perth say. The place I have seen it change rapidly is in Glencoe. 

Its heating on, nice n toasty, and SWMBO has just decreed it time for instant Christmas Decos in the hoose! lol:

xmas6 Iain

• Like 4

Lol.. I only read the daily mail when I'm in the mood for a laugh!  Grab some pics Iain, scotland is very pretty and moreso if theres lovely snow capped peaks (we need to get back up there its been a few years since we made it up that way).. I may have mentioned before but a friend of mine was sailing around the UK, although she made it as far as Troon and stopped.. she's been there two seasons now and has no intention of shifting so it must be nice there :)cheers

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

If the lady likes culinary delights, then I aint surprised she has remained here in Troon. Its a good sheltered marina also. Initialy set up by Robin Knox Johnson. We are very fortunate here that we have some excellent eating places. Also, the odd posh hotel or two. Troon is a time warp place, very little has changed, even since my young days when I came to play in a golf tournament. 

xmas6 Iain.

• Like 1

:) she probably attends the posh hotel bits lol sounds lovely though.. I'll get up there one day :)

So today again lots of little jobs but satisfying to finally tick off;

Thankfully the woodern plugs in the dash had set and with a sharp chisel I took the tops off and lightly sanded, I was worried there would be gaps as the plug cutter wasnt the best size but thankfully they look perfect :)

Dave did some electric bits.. refitted the fuel lines which he flared up yesterday. Trimmed the bathroom wall so the trims would go against neatly.  Tidied up ready for next weekend.

We glued up the last bit of sidelining (that glue really does like working in this temperature! don't blame it but it worked). 

We then worked out how to the trims around the bunk tops ,it was taking too long to traditionally mitre them so we went for a honest join! (I saw it on a boat before and liked it so as we was struggling we did this).. I think it looks ok .. Nice chunky trims though!

We also cut and installed a 12v ciggy socket in the front cabin.  We also installed an oak panel in the cabin which wasn't secured and Dave drilled and installed a courtesy LED step light.

Finally I varnished the new bunk trims and the dashboard. Dave put the final coat of paint on the seat in the wheelhouse (It does actually get quite warm inside the boat so it is setting ok (just!).

So Really looking forward to next weekend!!,  I've ordered some nice teak and holly laminate flooring (cabin) for next weekend .. that should make the inside look finished.

A friend in the club here has also offered to make the mouldings up for us (we just dont have a decent table saw and this chap is a joiner and he really said it's no bother) so they should be able to go in over Christmas. I'm stressing a bit regarding having enough parts for our Christmas break so need to try and work out what to do over this time.. We may get the swimdeck made up and finish rebuilding the sterndrive which should just leave the little jobs (and the kitchen - Although I'm struggling to find a sink small enough and in stock).  

post-28066-0-03471100-1418581023_thumb.j

post-28066-0-51346900-1418581034_thumb.j

post-28066-0-45579900-1418581045_thumb.j

post-28066-0-30903000-1418581063_thumb.j

post-28066-0-73151400-1418581075_thumb.j

post-28066-0-04974200-1418581087_thumb.j

post-28066-0-53167800-1418581107_thumb.j

post-28066-0-00718900-1418581124_thumb.j

post-28066-0-11100000-1418581146_thumb.j

post-28066-0-11369100-1418581172_thumb.j

post-28066-0-04081900-1418581185_thumb.j

post-28066-0-40753200-1418581200_thumb.j

• Like 7

Hi young Alan,

You will soon need to warns us to put on our sunglasses before we look at the pics! :naughty:  It is really, really, coming together now. As for a small kitchen sink. I am racking the old grey cells. I saw one online recently, but for now cannot remember where, sorry.

xmas6 Iain.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, it's nice to be... dare I say "Finishing".. Can't wait! lol and I must say the current finish is exceeding my hopes.. I just hope we can keep it up.. Next weekend is going the one where it will so different with the flooring down.. so sunglasses at the ready!

Iain, if you find one, I need a sink 300mm wide (this is one I had on order but the smev factory burnt down so they don't know when they can get one - http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-and-camping/kitchen-equipment/sinks/smev-va930-caravan-motorhome-sink/..I need to probably ring round and see if I can find someone with UK stock :( 

how about an industrial stainless steel mixing bowl (available from kitchen suppliers or catering supplier), cut a hole in the bottom for the drain and fit a standard sink waste fitting, neat re-purposing and a nice bowl shaped sink.

Alternatively a caravan sink unit?

Grendel

Alan, your mum is so right, Orca will most certainly be the centre of attention, especially if you go to a Forum meet everyone is going to want a grand tour Lol. If we ever meet out on the rivers I will also expect a tour (with a couple of bevy's thrown in of course  ;)) although we have done none of the exhausting work you and Dave have put in, a lot of us have bled, sweated and shed a few tears for you just reading this fantastic blog  :kiss although it will be wonderful for you when it's all over, I think I will feel a little sad not having it to read any more, it's kept me entertained on many a Saturday night with a glass of red Lol

Grace

ps Just had a thought, you could start a thread titled The Adventures of Orca or something similar with loads of photos thrown in, good idea eh

• Like 2

Thanks Grace, I hope the boat doesn't get too Famous up there though! I don't really dress up when im on holiday and shaving doesn't happen so I look like a hermit after 2 weeks! (no offence to hermits!)..oh geez and I don't really tidy hmmm I didnt think this one out lol.. But of course we try and keep it tidy and certainly anyone is welcome to take a look (we have a frequent queue of people her contanstly looking!)!  We will certainly try and come to a couple of meet ups too so we can say hello to everyone (I'll bring my razor that day!). 

Funny you should mention writing about the boats adventures! I'm thinking just the same :) My dad does a paperbased log and although it can be annoying at times (when I forget and have to "remember", but it's nice to read back and remember what we did. I'm putting in mobile internet and I have a tablet for the boat so I'm thinking of using the forum as a "Orca's bLog" ;)

(Quick update: I done some xmas shopping last night; We ordered the swimdeck, we found individual handrail parts which should make it a bit better than the two individual chinese premade swimdecks we was going to use.. I still need to get some timber for it but I priced it up and it will only be £30 more than the pre-made ones and we are doing full width too.. these should be here mid week in time for our xmas week of work.  I also ordered 5 meters of sidelining carpet (Charcoal colour) which will be used on the sides of the front bunks, inside the wardrobe and on the walls in the dinette. I was going to order the dek king (fake teak) for the wheelhouse but I think this really needs to be the last job as it will probably get too dirty.. I just need to run over and measure the floor this morning (I have a day off from (both) works! xmas shopping).. so i'll go do that now and then order the timber (I'm worrying about matching the lines of the wood up as I need to cut the board in half and worried that I wont get the lines to match (I know what I mean lol!). 

• Like 5

Hi Robin,

Thanks for this.. I like the little one with the small draining board! Perfect size for pint glasses?!! I think the other smaller one will fit well.. I have a funny feeling too that I increased the size of this cabinet from 300mm to 400mm because I was struggling so that should be perfect. :)cheers

(Ps can you get back out on the river please.. I need a video fix.. I've watched all of yours now ;)cheers

Quick update before another busy weekend.

In the week dave did a few little jobs; Spray painted the black plastic trim for the steering wheel (in its past life it had been painted black and white!), put another coat of varnish on the dashboard. Installed the 3 small courtesy lights in the wheelhouse, sanded and put a second coat of varnish on the bunk top timber trims, varnished some of the bulkhead walls, epoxied (The backs) and glued together the oak faced ply for both internal doors (Bathroom and wardbrobe) and expoxied the backs of a few little trims.

I went and got an door for above the fridge (B&Q kitchen - I know cheating but it saves time!), I also got my money refunded for the kitchen sink which didnt arrive so can buy again (Thanks again to those above who helped with suggestions, I sort this out soon). The teak and holly flooring arrive as did the sidelining carpet and swimdeck parts!

This weekend the aim is to at least get the floor down inside (which we are looking forward to and dreading at the same time (it's going to be hard with all the shapes and expensive/noticeable if we mess up) and put some trims and maybe some carpet up.  We hopefully have my folks coming down tomorrow and Neil (SPEEDTRIPLE) so looking forward to seeing these guys.. hope they are all impressed!

So hopefully tomorrows update will show some pretty pictures of our posh expensive cabin sole!! (I need a drink!) cheers

• Like 4