Tube Messenger

We have a 2ins diameter polythene tube which goes from the forward to aft end of Friday Girl. Presently it has the hydraulic steering pipes and an electrical line in it.

Does anyone know where I can find a flexible, but semi-rigid, messenger line I can use to get another electrical line through, please? (Such as a roll of curtain wire). Many Thanks! :wave

John! a little tip, when you tape the end of the cable to the pull through, get a length of rot proof string and tape that to it as well and pull them both through, that way if you ever need to add another cable you just tape it to the string and pull it through, and if you tie another bit of string to the new cable when you pull that through, you always have a ready made pull through string in place,,

Frank,,,,

Hi John,

A fair few methods have been suggested in pulling or pushing a tape or rod through your ducting. 

The main thing as already suggested is to pull in a draw rope or  wire that is left in the duct for future use.

Iain will remember to old conduit tape that we all used to use that was enclosed in almost a full circle of conduit, it used to be a pain to pull out enough of the rusty tape out of the conduit.

I have not tried them but the fibre glass push rods look better for use in conduit, ducts and across ceiling voids.

Regards

Alan

To be honest, virtually anything that's already been sugegsted would would work, including your own suggestion of curtain wire. The problem is the length. Now, you may find that it's not solid all the way along - there may be a break or two in the hidden behind cabinets.

You should be able to get a 30ft electrician's draw tape. Many engine control cables  are this kind of length too - we don't throw them away for precisely this purpose. We *might* have something that we can lend you; my problem is remembering that I've even suggested it once I take my next breath.

Where am I ? :naughty:

• Like 1

You should be able to get a 30ft electrician's draw tape. Many engine control cables  are this kind of length too - we don't throw them away for precisely this purpose. We *might* have something that we can lend you; my problem is remembering that I've even suggested it once I take my next breath.

Where am I ? :naughty:

Hopefully about an hour down the river from Bells, Andy!

That sounds great, Andy. We're back in the water in a couple of weeks and I'll give you a bell then.

As said ,John ,the pipe is likely to be.in smaller lengths,ours is , on the Bounty at the back of the cupboards and you could run something through a over that shorter distance .we found a reel of flat steel wire on a reel for unblocking sinks ideal for the sort of problem you have.Roy

OK! don't hit me! BUT,  :eek: if the trunking is in sections would a draw tape do the job?? wouldn't it find it's way out of a join??
John! you can get them from B&Q it's 20 mts and only £6.38    http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/cable-management/cable_fitting_tools/B-and-Q-Cable-and-Flex-Draw-Tape-Kit-20m-x-7-5-x-2-4cm-12758625?noCookies=false

Frank

Presently it has the hydraulic steering pipes and an electrical line in it

If all else fails could you not use the existing electrical line as a pull-through to install a replacement together with the extra line and another pull-through?