Spiders

Gracie

Is there anything that can be done to stop spiders getting into boats and canopy's etc?

Although I love the great outdoors I could give Paula Radcliffe a run for her money if I'm anywhere near one.

Just wondered if any of you guy's knew of something (apart from killing them which is a no no) that would help.

Grace

Don't ask me how, but conkers do work very well at home. We have a small plastic tray of them in each room, and after long term testing, it definitely works.

Not so successful on the boat though.  They seem to be visited by a different species of spider from house spiders. The big bodied ones with the legs that fold up close to their body.  (aarrrggghh ! )

There's quite a range of chestnut flavoured "spider repellent" sprays that do seem to work though, I suppose it's the same principle but stronger. They must hate the smell.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=chestnut+spider+spray&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=34955570270&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3054416553632529738&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3m3j2npv57_e

'The big bodied ones with the legs that fold up close to their body', Strowager that image will stay with me forever lol.

Seriously though am I having my leg pulled or do conkers really work, I seem to remember reading somewhere that you could buy an electrical type device that gives off some sort of signal  they don't like and stops them coming into the boat.

I may be totally wrong and having another blonde moment but has anyone heard of this type of thing.

Grace

Gracie,

If you google conkers and spiders you will find it is a serious answer and I believe it does work though have no scientific proof of that.

There are also electrical devices that claim to do the same thing but again I'm not sure of any scientific evidence.

• Like 1

You widny have survived five minutes as an apprentice sparky Grace :naughty: ....lofts are full of the dear little creepy crawlies in old properties! But yes, conkers appear to work well. Oh they DO grow big up here, because I am near the sand and sea.

JTF you're a little tinker! lol 

• Like 1