Broads Web Cams

Gracie

Looking at the web cams today and although fantastic for getting a Broads fix and boat owners to keep an eye on their boats would find it a bit intrusive if I had a camera with the ability to take snap shots pointed at me all day long.

Also excellent as a deterrent for would be criminals I imagine, how do you guys feel about them, be interesting to read other opinions.

Grace

Hi Gracie,

I think one reason the brinks one is there is so owners can keep an eye on the boat. My parents brought their boat last summer from brinks and we was all watching them prepping the the boat (not to mention chasing the surveyor (he was a friend!)) and my mum found it very reassuring.  I'd be happy if there was a camera which I could control to keep an eye on the boat. We rarely stay aboard in the marina though as theres lots of lovely places to visit so I wouldn't be concerned in that sense. 

(Maybe you wouldn't want on on the medway though as when the rivers in flood you probably want to look away ;)

• Like 1

As there is no 35x zoom lens cams Grace, you wouldn't need to do the hair n war paint! :naughty:

I find it handy when cruising up to Wroxham to see what moorings are available or not as the case might be, and to see if the Pilot is about. My last comment gets me annoyed, as until the new Pilot rules came into being, I have carefully negotiated Wroxham Bridge for over 30 years on my own both ways!

cheers Iain.

With you on that one Iain, we have cruised under the bridge many times without incident, I have never taken a boat through myself but my husband used to love it, in fact when we first started boating I used to run and hide in the cabin when we approached a bridge and if a sailie thingy came along you would'nt see me for dust lol.

Nothing against the web cams, just would'nt want to be moored near one.

Grace

It is a pity that the Webcam at the Hotel Wroxham is not working, it was ideal to see the height of the water on the bridge board.

I like them and it gives many people their daily fix of the Broads when stuck in their offices longing for the Broads, it is also good for seeing what the weather is like and the height of the tides.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Alan, I'm glad the web cam has gone at the bridge, with people feeding swans, sitting at the hotel or just standing on the bridge witnessing our worst mooring attempts ever lol. When we wild moor and not a soul about we do it with perfection.

Grace

• Like 1

Alan, I'm glad the web cam has gone at the bridge, with people feeding swans, sitting at the hotel or just standing on the bridge witnessing our worst mooring attempts ever lol.

Grace

Grace, bring her in towards the waiting mooring at about 20-30degs at 4mph and at about 10 feet from impact put the wheel hard over to port and simultaneously apply lots of reverse power.....

You'll certainly excite the peeps and if you get it right you'll almost certainly impress 'em!  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

• Like 2

As we moor with Barnes and therefore under the 'scrutiny' of

the webcam, I feel that I am in a good position to comment!

First, it's a really good way for us to 'keep an eye' on the

boat when we are not down.  :dance

Secondly, the camera does not give a clear enough picture

of any person's face so would be difficult to identify anyone

unless you actually know them.

I never feel threatened by someone watching me manoeuver

the boat in or out of our mooring. I'm too busy watching what

I'm doing  :shocked

Also, no-one in our moorings is bothered by the camera either.

All positives and no negatives.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would feel happier if we could view our boat over the web cam. Better still would like a web cam on the boat, my husband bought a warm jacket for on the boat and we can't find it anywhere, it could be us that we left it somewhere by accident but it's made us a bit suspicious.

Wifi is available at our mooring so it would be possible to fix a web cam up in the boat, the problem is keeping it powered.

It is a pity that (so far as I am aware) there are no web-cams on the Yare near Brooms.  It would be nice to be able to look and make sure MS is ok if she is not is use.

I'm surprised that Brooms have not invested in one.  

SueH