Broads behaviour

Janice

We were enjoying ourself near Salhouse yesterday when a boat full of young men went past with one of them standing on the top of the hire boat peeing over the edge.

Seems like they have missed the point of the broads, to enjoy the serenity and chill.

Our first summer on the broads I suppose we will see a lot worse?

Jan

We were enjoying ourself near Salhouse yesterday when a boat full of young men went past with one of them standing on the top of the hire boat peeing over the edge.

Our first summer on the broads I suppose we will see a lot worse?

Jan

I sincerely hoe not, Jan. I've seen ocean-going wafi's up to that trick along the south coast but never on the Norfolk Broads.

I'd suggest a loud comment:

"I'm surprised you'd show-off something as insignificant as that"

would sort him out and most probably cause hilarity amongst his friends!

(As a lady you'd get away with it!)   :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

• Like 3

Yes you will but no worse than in society as a whole. Nowhere I know does this kind of behaviour NOT take place but it is the exception rather than the rule and you may go the rest of the season without witnessing anything particularly untoward.

Equally do not believe those who tell you it is a new phenomenon - it isn't and has happened for many years but probably at its worst in the late 6o's and early 70,s when the Broads were generally much busier with hire craft. It is a holiday destination and without tourism the Broads would die!!!

• Like 1

It is precisely that sort of behaviour that has driven us off the Broads, and we live here. And I don't care whether that is society today or not, the Broads is a relatively small area and you cannot get away from it. And I don't care wether it is a new phenomenon or not - it is disgusting, anti social and should not be tolerated. If the Broads needs that sort of "customer" to survive then I say change it to a real National Park and nature reserve and let the bad side die.

We love the broads and wish we lived there too, one day when we can retire maybe.

Perhaps a good idea would be a type of 'citizens arrest' that if you can photograph the offender and email a copy to the boat hirer / Broads Authority that they could then levy a fine against them. For the thing I witnessed I would think a minimum of £100 would teach them and also ward off others doing the same.

Overall though the Broads is very pleasant and unspoilt place, but we are newbies so you may have been even luckier and seen it even more beautiful than it is currently (if that's possible).

Jan

Blimmey Soundings someone certainly upset you! :shock: I've been using the Broads as a boat owner all year round for the last thirty years and can honestly say I've only ever seen one incident years ago that I call anti-social and that was a group of  German tourist on a boat at Salhouse, they were feeding the Swans and grabbing them by the necks and lifting them, we reported them and from what we heard back not much was done as they returned home to Germany, we've met boatloads of noisy drunks but always found if we ask them nicely to keep it down they do, we've had groups of males moon at us while passing, even had a group of drunken girls that flashed us, for some reason Judi wouldn't let me go back for another look, all I ever see is people trying to enjoy themselves and have a good time, Ok most of them are young but I think back to when I was that age and I don't think I was much different, and I know the worst thing you could do If I got a bit out of hand was be aggressive to me, because then I would do it more to wind them up, but if someone was polite I'd calm it down, and I find that approach still works today, as Marshman say this incident was an exception and not the norm here on the Broads, but your always going to get that Idiot that gets all the rest a bad name, most of the near anti-social behaviour I've seen on the Broads has been from private boats that think they own it and anyone else has no right to be there, I've seen some speak to hire boats in a manner that if they spoke to me like that they would be swimming back to their boat,,,

Frank,,,,

• Like 6

Blimmey Soundings someone certainly upset you! :shock: I've been using the Broads as a boat owner all year round for the last thirty years and can honestly say I've only ever seen one incident years ago

Frank,,,,

Well said, Mate!

We're out and about for a couple of months or more at a time and this is the exception rather than the ruler...

Yes Mowjo it was not pleasant and we had young children with us. It has happened several times, honest, and we have had enough. My Broads boating will now be day sailing on Hickling, which should be fun. I guess the tolerance that drives what is acceptable or not is a very personal thing, we have decided we will not tolerate it.

I could go on but we do not want to open old wounds or subjects on behaviourism do we? It has all been done to death really :-) I do agree though that the Broads is a beautiful and unique environment...........................but :teddy:

I am broad minded (no pun intended) and so happy to let it go, but am also aware that it's good to look after the broads and it's traditional serenity and as I can see by some of the replies it does upset some and so the idea about turning the naughty ones in with a photograph sounded like a good idea and perhaps a deterrent.

I was young once but would not hang my bum over the edge of a boat in front of other innocent people and have a pee!

Jan

• Like 1

Having a Jimmy Riddle over the side is nothing new. I`m sure if we`re all honest, most of us have done it at some time, be it on the broads or around the coast, or even offshore.?. The difference is, anybody with  the slightest bit of shame would at least do it when there`s nobody about. As for doing it in front of everybody, especially a woman, is`nt that an act of indecent exposure?. The best thing to have done would be to have reported it to Broadsbeat, quoting the boat name and registration number, AND the fleet operator, informing them that you`ve also reported it to the police. If they`ve done what they`ve done all over their boat, it could also be a health hazard to others that hire that boat the following week.

Regards to all ........................... Neil.

• Like 1

Soundings! in no way were my comments meant as a dig at you, I just find it sad that someone like you gives up their boating for the sake of a few Idiots, 

Your right Neil! there are things in place for incidents like that and they should be reported, if he did that in the local high street he would have been arrested,

Jan! I'm sorry but if I saw any woman with her bum over the side taking a pee, I'd probably be laughing so much I'd spill my Tea,, I drive to London from here a lot and sometimes you'll get the woman or man taking a pee by the side of the car on the M11, it really cracks me up because I'm sure they think they are invisible and no-one can see them,,,,

Thanks Mowjo. We have not given up we just sold the Broads boat and now almost have a long thin metal jobbie:-) Should the purchase complete, which is hopeful, we will take delivery on the Great Ouse where we will stay for this year (at least) as we have never cruised that area. Following that we shall probably head back to the Crick area of the GU Leicester Line.

But I will still be rag and sticking all over Hickling  :Sailing

It's our first year on the Broads, we only bought the boat around August time and so have no idea what to expect long term.

We hired a boat at first, found everyone really nice and helpful and in turn we were also helpful to others. We then purchased a boat and are looking forward to great times respecting all, regardless as to whether they own their boat or have hired it.

The boat in question did get pulled by the Broads Authority just before they decided to pee over the side, their way of rebelling against the 'man' maybe.

Totally agree it's unhygienic, glad we have our own boat now.

It is indecent exposure, what if we had young children with us, not good is it. There has to be some rules otherwise where would we be?

Flicking back to my original post on this subject, it was not a moan or a grown but a question of what to expect. Seems there are mixed expectations and views.

My first experience of a forum too, interesting!

Jan

..... As for doing it in front of everybody, especially a woman, is`nt that an act of indecent exposure?.....

You're absolutely right Neil.

It's strange how other people defend "high jinks" on the Broads, in an effort to not lose holiday trade.

If someone tried to do it in  crowded high street, no-one would see that as "high jinks".

Jan,

Forums, =s The good, the bad, the ugly, and the downright norty, not to mention the interesting too. Me personally would have tried with my 35x Zoom to take a pic, but does that make me norty also? OOOps! :shocked

Nearly 40 years coming to my fav holiday destination, and NOTHING is going to put me off coming there!

cheers Iain.

Bad behaviour is rare on the broads thankfully but it will never be non-existent, the same bad behaviour carried out elsewhere on a daily basis will sometimes be seen if these people come to the broads.

Strowager you are very lucky if you've never witnessed this sort of behaviour in the high street it goes on all the time in town centres, everyone has their own opinion of what is or isn't acceptable but the answer is simple, if it offends you report it.   

• Like 1

I wonder if it's because I was born and breed in London that I'm more tolerant of people, I think I've seen it all at some point or other, not long before we moved to Lowestoft we had two Murders several mugging, endless break in's, at least one burnt out car a week in the park opposite us and the majority of the youths in our area were pretty much out of control, so a group of men or women going a bit over the top seems pretty minor to me, the only time that gets my back up is if they become offensive then it's all out war, I suppose in the end it does depend on how tolerant each of us is,  I'm used to city life and a stabbing would be two lines on page seven, the first week we were in Lowestoft the headlines news on Beach Radio were someone had their bicycle stolen and someone was offensive to a woman down by the beach,,,, 

That`s actually a very good point. I was brought up in a large town and seen it all, but for those that have had, dare i say it,  a sheltered upbringing, incidences such as Jan reports could be more than a little disturbing, possibly even frightening?.  Personally, my skin is very thick, i`ve had loads of insults hurled at me because of my appearance when i was at school, and i grew up and learned to ride it. Yes, sometimes it was upsetting, but i learned how to deal with it in my own way. It`s maybe one of the reasons why i`m prepared to speak my mind, because i`ve had to learn to stick up for myself. But for someone who has had a  sheltered upbringing, and been protected from what you could call, tough society, any acts of misbehaviour, even moderate ones, could as i said above be very frightening.

And as for Mowjo,...... Don`t tell such blatant lies in open forum again,........ you`d spill your beer, not your tea. :naughty::party: :party:.

Regards to all ................... Neil.

Blimey, there was a thunder storm in Norfolk last week which made the news!

As for exposure I would assume that unless the perpetrator was specifically 'aiming' :naughty: at someone then it would be easier for the offended to turn round and not the offender....

as for hygiene I would hope that no one was going to prepare food on the deck in the following day or two before it was washed with river water.

If you want to see people peeing off the side of boats then go to a saily :Sailing meeting with a couple of long races :River Police

Please not I do not condone any of this behaviour ..

Ummmm

I was raised in South London, between Kennington, Elephant and Castle, Camberwell areas. Like you I have not had a sheltered life. My school was the roughest school in S.E London and yes, even as a girl, I had to stick up for myself daily. I remember my brother got into a fight, he kept getting knocked out and my dad sent him back again and again until he came away winning. That was then, this is now and I am not the same person now.

I know what's right and what's not. I have respect for others. Maybe that's the issue!

I suppose I have my answer to my original question. Rudeness is not a daily occurrence on the Broads, but, you may have to be tolerant of others who are not intelligent enough to respect those around them. Depending on the severity, will depend on whether it's worth reporting them.

We love the Broads, it's our escape from stress and gives us a chance to relax, it's all good and we won't let others spoil it for us.

Jan

• Like 3