Hypothetically speaking...

LondonRascal

Hi Frank,

I discovered Aldis n Lidls when on holiday abroad, in places like Germany and Austria. They have proper baker areas abroad, and folks queue at 7am to get the first batch of fresh bread. The smell I may add was to die for. They have proved to be very much the IN shopping places in the last few years I think.

cheers Iain.

Iain! our Lidl has an in store bakery, but Judi won't let me near it, they don't do a great range but what they do, do is superb and cheap, I'm hooked on the Apple turn-overs and Cinnamon rolls, Judi is on the Rainbow Doughnuts, havn't tried the bread yet, I usually park at the far end of the car park, that way I can eat a cake before I get to the car, Judi tells me off because I'm type 2 diabetic, but I just say if I die I die,,, :eek:

Frank,,,,,

• Like 1

Hi Frank,

Yes its ready to bake in store here. But a proper bakery in the likes of Vienna. The smell of fresh bread lingered across to my hotel room. Most were buying the Bread sticks and Croissants there. They also have a Chemist open at 7am instore there.

cheers Iain.

Even more like minds then Dave! I used to make my own bacon, ham and sausages. Buying a half a pig from the butcher in Ludham and butchering it, ending up with lots of lovely grub was very satisfying, but I just don't have the time these days now I'm self-employed. I've still got my smoker in the shed though that gets used, but not as often as I'd like.

• Like 1

going to buy a Bradley Smoker next 

Exactly what I have Dave. I've had it about 6-7 years now and converted it to be able to do cold smoking for salmon by modifying a large plastic container for the smoke generator and piping the smoke to the cabinet with some aluminium flexible ducting. Works really well! I could only by the bisquettes online until recently when the local camping shop in Blofield started stocking them again this year.

Cold smoked hard boiled eggs are also delicious; they taste like eggs and bacon but without the bacon!

Sorry Iain! ;)

I find your "light bulb" threads on here very interesting Robin, fresh ideas can sometimes be very enlightening.

The idea of a Tesco filling station and metro on the riverbank selling even just petrol, let alone discounted diesel would be welcomed by all boaters.

I guess the reason why it hasn't happened is year-round scale of sales. It would be a real honeypot in the high season, but almost dead during the Winter months.

Roadside filling stations have steady year-round trade, so are attractive to supermarket giants.

But if they could find a Broads location with a busy road running along the front, and the river running along the back..... :)

I guess it makes it more understandable why boatyards have higher 12 month overheads, pushing up their fuel selling prices....

Berney Arms on the Acle Straight? River on one side, A47 on the other, sorted.

Don't get me started on Bread! whoops too late! I love nothing more than fresh baked bread just out of the oven, nothing on just as it is, so after months of telling Juidi "I want one" "it'll be cheaper" I finally talked her into letting me get a bread maker, hours spent on the net looking at reviews I finally found the one with the best recommendations and bought it, down the shops bought all the stufff I needed from ingreediants to ready made mixes, tried the ready made stuff first, C**p, next go DIY, followed everything to the letter, things looking good, timer dings, Whoopee! nice looking bread, but only looked like half a loaf, let it cool a bit, tasted it C**p, I tried about four more recipes, everyone C**p, the bread maker has now sat in my cupboard for the last year unused, think I'll stick to making Apple Pies, I can do them, I have decided making bread isn't worth the hassle, time or money, look out Lidl here I come,,,

Frank,,,, 

• Like 1

I will give you one handy hint for getting a decent tasting bread from a bread machine - the secret is in the yeast, visit the bakery section at Sainsbury's ask them for some fresh yeast (100g should do to start, and will be enough for about 5 loaves and wont break the bank - I cant remember if I was paying 30p or 60p per 100g))

the other secret is that the wholemeal setting on most machines is too long, the loaf rises then flops back down, I use the sandwich loaf setting.

I have played around a fair bit with my recipe, it may just be you had a dud batch of dried yeast (or used the quick one where you needed the normal one).

to start with be very careful measuring ingredients, especially the flour / water ratio, too wet it over rises and flops, too dry it doesn't rise (trust me I have experienced everything from Brick to something with the consistence of a crumpet).

when experimenting only change one ingredients quantities at a time of you wont know which one does the job.

another trick is to just use the machine to mix the dough, then do the rises until it looks ready - rolls work well with this method.

when I get home I will ttry and remember to post my bread recipe.

also you need to ensure that the yeast and salt don't mix too early (I put the yeast in the liquid then the flour with the salt on top)

Grendel

Frank, you are using bread flour aren't you? Normal plain flour doesn't have enough gluten in it. I used to use my bread machine a lot, but found that due to the shape of the loaf , and the fact the middle slices had a hole in where the mixing paddle is, it was a bit of a pain. I much prefer to make bread the hands-on way now.

I simply tip 500g of bread flour in the worktop and make a large well in the middle. I add 1.5 tsp of instant yeast (I prefer Allisons), 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp sugar, and 200ml water. Then I use a fork to start combining the flour from around the edge into the liquid until it resembles porridge, and then add another 100ml water, gradually mixing the flour from the outside. Once it's stiff enough I go in with the hands to bring the rest of the flour together and then continue for a 5 minute knead.

Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with oiled cling film and place in a warm cupboard for 45-60 mins. Once this time is up it will have doubled in size. Tip it onto a floured worktop, and knead again for 30 seconds or so. Then form in to a loaf shap, or put in a loaf tin, or make into rolls or basically make what ever shape you like and place on a flour baking tray. Cover again with oiled cling film and place back in the warm place for 30-45 mins.

Heat the oven to about 180C and then back the bread for 25 mins.

This is a very basic white bread recipe, but you can easily add other ingredients. I often steep cumin seeds in boiling water, and then once the water is room temperature use that to make the dough. Then at the second knead stage I add diced boiled potatoe for a nice spicy potatoe bread. The fun is in the experimenting with adding different things!

Yes I've seen that modification and I am going to do the same, I take it that you have had no problems?

A couple of pics 1 a 22kg smoked suckling Pig and a 12kg on the bone brisket.

Dave

No problems at all Dave. My favourite is a whole pork shoulder hot smoked for 16 hours (with smoke on for the first 4 hours) to make superb pulled pork.

This thread is very interresting, first to do with covenient deisel and shopping, and now recipies, and cooking tips.

Going back to the original post,  We`re up on Lightning for the first time in less than 3 weeks.  Being moored at Brundall,, i`l try and convince Karen to forget Tesco on the A140 approaching Norwich, and go straight to the store in Brundall. I`ve always prefered to shop locally, especially when on hiliday. What`s the point of going to a holiday region, only to shop in the same shop up the road from where you live. Shop locally, and help support the local economy.

I will say however, that i do believe there should be more riverside fuel stations, as i could believe it difficult to get fuel in busy times and changeover days.

Speed! we have gone totally off topic and this time it was nothing to do with me! it's like this see! while i will always try and support local shops and businesses cost comes into it, now we have all heard of the Swindlers at Wroxham and for certain things like cookers, fridges and stuff they are hard to beat on price, so anything like that I buy from them, other stuff like screws and general fittings are expensive, so all my screws now come from Beardshaws Hoveton, the rest comes from the net, half the price even with postage, it's not about saving money it's about not getting ripped off, example: stainless cleat, swindlers £24, on the net exact same ones £10.19, same place stainless screws 10p each, Beardshaws £3.00 per hundred, see where I'm going???  Shopping, I know they need our support, but why pay £30 for you shopping when you can get the same stuff at Tesco's (I hate Tesco's) same with diesel petrol I now see loads in our marina with jerry cans, simple £1.29 Tesco's £1.40ish on the Broads, the way I see it is for every £ I save, I have another £ for diesel, shinny bits or extra shopping, I look at ads on the box and see Tesco, Asda doing deals, normally £10 reduced to £5, they must still make a profit selling at at £5 so think of the profit when they normally sell at £10, it's long time since I was in the game but the normal mark up on stuff was 400% so all these loss leaders and special deals two for ones are just a load of Bull to get you in there shopping, thats twice I've been serious this week it has to stop!!

Frank,,, 

• Like 2