Norfolk Chinese

JawsOrca

I'll give it a go.. I like cooking Chinese food lately but this is my favorite.. it's quick and easy on a boat stove and tastes lovely... 

chicken breast (about 260g each)
2cm chunk of fresh ginger (peeled)
6 spring onions
3 cloves of garlic (peeled)
1/2 fresh chilli
6 tablespoon of LIGHT soy sauce 
6 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon of Norfolk honey
2 nest of egg noodles
Groundnut oil (important! - in all supermarkets though)

1. Cut chicken into thin strips.
  2. Add about 2 teaspoons of oil into the wok (or deep frying pan) and fry until brown.
  3. Once chicken is cooked, remove from the wok and put aside in a bowl.
  4. Cut 3 spring onions into circles, cut the ginger and garlic into small chunks.
  5. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the wok if required and fry the circle cut spring onion, garlic and ginger in the wok gently (so don't burn them) until start to go soft and smells lovely.
  6. Add the chicken to the wok.
  7. Add the water, soy and honey mix.
  8. Add your egg noodles to a pot of boiling water about now and gently simmer
  9. Cover and cook until sauce reduces but be careful not to burn. (add more honey to make it sweeter).

Serve on top of cooked egg noodles (or could do with chips or pasta). sprinkle with chopped (remaining 3) spring onions and chopped chilli.
  • Like 3

I have sometimes substituted maple syrup for honey when glazing duck breast or legs. Works very well too.

Going back to Alans post above re tasting better with Norfolk Honey,  Between July and December 96, i worked at Dehavilands in Toronto. Most of our family love Maple syrup, so i bought a tin of real Canadian Maple syrup home. That was a big mistake.  Ever since then, i don`t buy it, because the stuff we get over here is far too sweet compared to the Canadian stuff. It`s a shame, because untill then, i would have it any time.

I`m going to take Karen on holiday over there sometime in the distant future, then i`l smuggle back a load of the genuine stuff  :naughty: :naughty: .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My take on chicken breasts, is to take out of the freezer preprepaired chicken (with all the dodgy bits removed prior to freezing). Place into a covered pan in water, seasoned with added lime or lemon juice and a stock cube and bring to the boil, simmer for a sort time turning once, cut into strips so the inside of the breast is cooked. If it is a rice or paster dish you can add these to the pan and simmer until cooked.

Alternatively with a fresh chicken breast hollow out a pocket and fill with a stuffing mix, coat the breast with a mixture of bread crumbs & dry stuffing mix broken down in a pestle & mortar, fry off the coating in butter and the transfer into the over and cook on a tray for 20 to 25 minutes in a medium oven.

I only cook the above for other people, to me its not fowl for nothing :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 2