4 nights on Dream Gem

Gramps

Thanks for your comments people, we had torches etc on board but were more worried about getting a rollicking for cruising after dark if it had come to that. We may have stretched the definition of dark a little bit.

I have a couple more paragraphs to add later about our last night and conclusions of this most enjoyable holiday.

Ron

Confession time: Some years ago on an early November 'lads' week we got stuck in the White Horse for two pints longer than we should have and had to navigate from just past Paddy's Lane to Wayford by torch! Did I mention there was only a (very) new moon? We didn't actually hit anything but there were some buttock clenching moments.

• Like 2

Great tale, thank you. Ah, you've just reminded me why if I'm boating in October I much prefer it before the clocks go back. It seems like you're up against the ticking daylight clock otherwise.

I too have found Sutton very difficult to get in to recently. I guess its a nice place to eat and the default last night stop for Richardsons hirers. I last tried there around 5pm on Monday 6 October but got the impression I was way too late in the day, even at a supposedly off peak time of year.

• Like 1

Hi Ron,

Sorry to hear you had problems loosing all of your report. A number of forum members will write their reports in say word and then paste them into the forum topic, that way if there is a problem then the work is not lost.

Note; in order to paste onto the forum you will have to turn off the switch on the left hand side of the tools box.

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday 30th October continued (sorry for the delay, PC problems)

Sitting down for a cuppa to calm the nerves, Ben Dean and Jamie were discussing our late arrival back at the boatyard when I heard the statement of the week. Dean said “It’s a good job Nan isn’t here she would have had a right rant” Jamie said “Yeh right” Ben said “Rant? She would have gone ballistic” We have all been on the end of a tongue lashing when things have gone wrong on holiday. Bless her.

Non essential luggage loaded into the cars, Bens phone charged by my cars 12 volt socket, we decided to visit Stalham to find somewhere to dine. On the walk into town I was struggling to keep up these young whippersnappers had worn me out. Jamie came running back to me to announce that they had found “a new place that looked nice” On catching up I found the lads peering through the window of a place we had rejected on Monday last, the Swan. Lights on in the restaurant that was very busy, we could also see another bar area. Ben had gone on to see if the Grebe served food, but came back to say they did not but allowed takeaway food to be consumed on the premises. Not in the mood for that kind of meal, the Swan it was to be.

We walked into the little bar that had seemed so uninviting on Monday, to be delighted by the appearance, low lighting and candles on the tables gave a cosy feel to the place. “Any chance of a table for five” we asked, the barmaid went away to check, another lady came out to say that they were very busy but would find us a table if we were prepared to wait until 8pm. It was now 7pm but we said 8 would be fine and settled down for a couple of pre dinner drinks. At regular intervals the same lady returned to apologise for the delay, we did our best to reassure her that 8pm was ok.

At 7-40pm we were asked if we wanted to eat where we were in the bar area, I declined the offer the low tables and chairs were not conducive with good dining, at 7-45 we were asked to choose from the menu, at 7-55pm we were shown to our table and at 8pm our meals were served. Great service when you consider they had only promised a table by 8pm.

The meals were large and of excellent quality, the best of the week without doubt. The staff were very friendly and the service was good. The cost of the main courses was a little over £54, most expensive of the week but this was down to our choices and worth every penny. I had the hunters chicken, a first for me, Ben had the same, we both commented on how really good this was.

A darts match was in progress but this just added value to the experience, and a very enjoyable evening was had by all.

On the walk back to the boat we all agreed that it was wrong to make snap judgements about a place, If there had been room at Sutton we would probably never set foot in the Swan again and that would have been a great shame.

So the final day arrives and its time to go home, we were pleased with the amount of fuel that we had used, a refund of £44-29 meant fuel cost of only £30-71.

Check out was speedy and we were on our way home by 9am.

Conclusions:-

Richardsons, service was very good as always from booking to check out.

Dream Gem, I liked this boat very much it was adequate for our needs and very suitable for our party size and gender, we had a couple of minor issues but hey so what it was the last week of the season. We would hire it again and at a net cost of £310 for five people was very good value.

Will we visit again? Hopefully, God willing, perhaps a trip down south next time, been 42 years since I have ventured that side, but will be with the same hire company, just waiting to see which family members will be joining me.

• Like 6

Hello Ron,

Great report, sounds as if you should not have any problems getting a crew together again for a visit onto the Southern Broads.

I think you will like it here on our side of Breydon, however do not advertise the fact that you may be thinking of the Southern Broads, or the natives will get jealous, saying things like nothing to do, problem with tides, nowhere to eat, nowhere to moor etc.

Lets face it, you may be better off staying on the Northern Rivers :naughty:

Regards

Alan 

• Like 2

Hi Ron,

Glad to see the PC probs have been sorted. Looks like you had a smashing short break, err did the crew go out the stern and give it a push :naughty:  So little fuel used!

Now with regards to the "Other Side" I always cross the puddle that is Braydon Water, to check out that the natives that use that side, ensure standards are kept there. I ALWAYS say go south, so many nice pubs to sample for food and a wee bit refreshment too. I aint picking any out in particular, the good ones have been mentioned here many times.

Now find yer next crew and get booked up again to sample the delights that are the Norfolk Broads. :) Thanks again for your write up.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the comments and likes for this thread. only sorry it took so long to complete. I did try to post the final chapter a couple of weeks ago but  lost all the work just as I was ready to post. The following day the PCU failed, filled the room with smoke, damaged the DVD drive and caused the loss of some data, but could have been worse.

Ah Alan your description of the South side is just as I remember it. One pub even had no electric, what sort of place was that? Another had a donkey in the bar drinking beer, whatever next? and to think we even moored up at Great Yarmouth to assist our passage south,those were the days, carrying two kids, a pushchair and a traumatised dog up the ladder to dry land. We were not at the yacht station but about a quarter mile upstream. At least we got some excercise on the mile plus walk into town.

Iain fuel economy was down to me cracking the whip if the crew dared to rev the engine above 1200 RPM. not tight you know just careful. It has been said that I must have family tree connections north of the border, don't really know what they mean.

Gracie in years to come you will realise that patience is indeed a virtue and with maturing years nothing happens very quickly 

Only joking Guys please don't take offence and once again thanks.

Ron

• Like 4

Iain fuel economy was down to me cracking the whip if the crew dared to rev the engine above 1200 RPM. not tight you know just careful. It has been said that I must have family tree connections north of the border, don't really know what they mean.

If its any concellation Ron, I havny a clue either :shocked . Go intae any pub in Glesca, and I can assure you, you'd be well looked after. Wur no tight at awe, far from it, i'd gladly buy you a pint, its how many straws required to share the pint wi? :naughty:  

Just had that fine Scottish delicacy Haggis Neeps n Tatties to celebrate St Andrews Day :party:

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

"Just had that fine Scottish delicacy Haggis Neeps n Tatties to celebrate St Andrews Day  :party:"

Ah you certainly know how to celebrate your saints day, I have been known to partake of that culinary delight on new years eve  :bow

Ron

• Like 1