Richardsons on the telly.

"cos it aint cheap, problem is no one else wants to, they want the area to be advertised but won't contribute. 

fair enough that this is the job of the agent which is why we pay our fees but how about the non agency / non BMF/ non BHBF operators? 

we don't know how effective it will be but we will find out. 

there are lots of other things we are now getting involved with because no one wants to pick it up or organise it. 

which is good really as we love the broads! 

• Like 6

I think you've really hit the mark with conveying the Richardson's way, because I believe it is more than just a 'brand'. 

You cater for the family wanting a good value holiday on a boat - but also to the group of anglers wanting to fish till they drop to the lads and lasses for the larger single sex parties during the summer. Yet you've also something for a couple, or a group of friends or a family who want to 'push the boat out' and have new builds and all the luxury they offer too.

I hope the campaign works out for the group as a whole, but also as an aside to draw much needed attention and profile to the Norfolk Broads generally over a larger area that only television can do. 

There are plenty of people in the country who have no idea this all exists as a place to holiday - perhaps you might consider a radio campaign in the future?

Hi Robin, 

We have done a bit on the radio in the last 2 or 3 years but it is in specific areas.. 

one problem is that organisations don't want  to promote the 'Norfolk Broads'  as it may upset some businesses.

the rest of the country is a bit unsure where the 'Broads' are but know exactly where the Norfolk broads are (most people anyway!!) 

Well all I know is when I have met people in London and in conversation mentioned the Norfolk Broads it often does take some explaining where Norfolk is let alone one can hire a boat - indeed it happened earlier today in Shoreditch.  I was visiting the 'Cereal Killer Café' (yes they only serve cereal and at £3.50 a bowel you can call me mad but it had a great vibe).

Over a bowel of Apple Cinnamon Cheerios (imported from the US) I got talking to a couple who were trying some 'Miel Pops' (from France) and I said this café this would never take off in Norfolk - whereupon they asked where is that and five minutes later I was talking about the area, boating and rivers. 

They had never heard of the area but were, I guess in their late twenties.  I am not surprised as I said it is not uncommon but the general reaction is 'cool' wow' and 'sounds great' at the idea of being able to hire a boat.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, we won`t be able to see it, as IT`S NOT BEING BROADCAST ON MERIDIEN, what`s up Clive, are`nt we good enough down here on the South coast?  :mad: :mad: .

Seriously though, Clive, why have you only done it on a restricted number of networks?. Over the last couple of years down here (in Dorset), i`ve spoken to a fair number of people, often strangers, about boating up on the broads, and a lot of them have shown an interrest in doing a broads boating holiday. If they saw your adverts, it might just encourage them, and with word of mouth, it might also encourage their families and friends.

i do think this a possible lost opportunity.

basically it isn't cheap to advertise on telly  ( I think everyone gets that) so we have mainly promoted the boating in Norfolk in around a 3ish hr radius as that is our main catchment area.

Hoseasons are doing the national advertising for boating in general which is what we have an agent for.. 

• Like 2

Out there in customer world having strong family involvement backed up with strong family values with good service can be big business that benefits all ,Richardsons seem to have all that covered and are still growing - personally I think turning themselves into a "brand " is a very smart move going forwards

finny

• Like 4

We went to see Fleetwood Mac at the O2 and were pleasantly surprised to hear a group behind us bragging about their friends in Norfolk. Nothing special about that in isolation but I have a daughter who works at Guys in London and she was telling me much the same about an overheard conversation in a bar in the Shard and another in a staff room at the hospital. It would seem that Norfolk is becoming a fashionable destination! I actually think that both Richardsons and Hoseasons have chosen to advertise at an opportune moment.

I have been promoting the Norfolk Broads up here since 1970, and have sent quite a few down to holiday on water, caravans and cottages. I know a couple with two young boys are waiting till the boys are a bit older, so they can appreciate it all when they get to hire a boat.

Robin, I too when I have been down in darkest Surrey for a short break and spoken to locals there who have not heard of Norfolk. Personally I blame the Geography Teachers in that area :naughty:

One thing is for certain, I KNOW about Norfolk and in 111 days I will be on the Broads again! :party:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

I can't understand why a holiday park in Yarmouth Vauxhall do there Ad's on your local Heart radio, tickles me as I drive to area, but last Sept off loading the boat with a box of beer under my arm a guy 2 boats down had the same box and I said it's a bad week takin beer home to which he said he's only a 20 min drive home and it will be chilling again. So doing the ad local(3hr) should work.

Can also understand not doing other area's (yet?) as it could cause too big a demand at once leading to bookings going elsewhere - lost business others gain.

Think I picked up on boating holidays again on a small ad in the rear of TV guide 7 years ago.

• Like 1

I was first introduced to the Broads in 1964, the year after my brother found them.

Since then I have visited at least once a year almost every year. I introduced my first wife and the kids to boating and my daughter has been a few times with her partner in recent years. 

Many years later I took my new wife to the Broads and we have visited, along with my inherited family, every year since.

On one occasion when talking to a friend I had to explain that the boats actually have areas for sleeping, eating and just sitting and watching the world pass by.

I wish I had a fiver for every time someone has said to me "I've always fancied doing that but never have"   My response to that is "Don't waste any more time---DO IT"

Jeff

• Like 3

It's only the old ones . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Mangled zimmer frames litter Norwich's Riverside following a night out by a visiting group of aged ladies from Essex to the nightclub capital of Norfolk. Their boat is being salvaged next week. Seven police constables are subsequently taking early retirement for stress related disorders.

• Like 3