Panto and TV ads?

Ok, I know that this is entirely unrelated to the broads, but I ask my question here as the varied membership to this forum makes it just about perfect for the task!

Between Christmas and the new year my sister took her daughter and her grandchildren to see a pantomime.

So, it was two adults (my sister and her daughter) two boys one twelve, the other eleven, and one five year old girl.

The actors each used microphones attached to their clothing. The amplification was so high that the dialogue was  distorted to the point of being almost painful and no longer understandable.

However more importantly the jokes and double entandre were bordering on being obscene. There was the ‘forward hip thrusting’ so popular these days and ‘Buttons’ came onto the set wearing a plastic bottom outside his trousers.

My sister was close to walking out but didn’t, waiting instead for the children’s mother to take any lead in that sort of action. Only after leaving at the end of the panto did she find out that her daughter was also on the point of leaving but didn’t as she felt it ingracious to my sister who had paid for the treat.

My question is this…

Is it considered reasonable these days to demonstrate simulated sex (forward hip thrusting) and to put on a show containing fairly obvious (well it was to the boys) strongly worded sexual innuendo, under the heading of “Panto”?

I realize that this might just be a case of my sister and I being behind the times, but that’s rather why I’m asking.

While I’m at it (don’t even go there, I’m being serious for once), there is an advert I keep seeing early evening that says…

“Just look at that booking view” and  “What a great booking room” etc. etc. using the word "booking" in this way, every two or three seconds.

Is this really appropriate for teatime family viewing?

• Like 5

Hi MM,

I have been to a few Pantos with friends at the Harlequin Theatre in Redhill, (yes I do get about) and it has had "stars" like Vicky Michele of Ello Ello fame. I would say in general the modern panto scripts have gone the way you have described, why? I have know idea. Its suppose to be for kids aye BIG WANS too like me. I like live theatre in many guises.

However, I can see why your sister was disgusted, and a letter to the theatre would do know harm IMHO. Even in some of the West End shows, inuendo is more prevelent that it was in the past. Ok, I am nearly the wrong side of 65 but with I like to think a forward thinking mind, but to use smut for humour IMO is not needed. Personally, I blame the scriptwriters and the producers.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi MM,

Both Tan & I am involved with our local Pantomime (this year Alice in Wonderland) Tan in the spotlights as the Queen of Hearts me backstage as stage manager, lighting & scenerary as part of our small team.

Panto has to be on two levels to keep the adults and children entertained, from what you say the panto you describe was hardly fit for children.

I am with Iain on this, bad producer/director on that production.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

In answer to your question, no it is not reasonable in my opinion.

As you know I have two children, this is in no way a criticism towards your family but I would have walked out and demanded to see the person in charge without a doubt but understand completely why your sister and her daughter didn't. There is no place for sexual innuendo's, thrusting or plastic bottoms in a children's panto what so ever and no excuse for it.

A strongly worded letter as has been mentioned is a good idea, not that money is more important than our kid's innocence but  I would demand the ticket fee back and take the kid's somewhere they will be treated as the innocents that they are, sorry for the rant but this type of thing brings the Lioness out of me

Grace 

• Like 4

We as a family went to see 'Aladdin' at St Georges Theatre in Gt Yarmouth.

It was JUST what panto should be. Humor set at exactly the right level, withinnuendo (or smut if you like ;) ) pitched with subtlety. Add to that a generous helping of audience participation and IMHO it was perfection of its type.

We shall certainly be going next Christmas!

• Like 1

We as a family went to see 'Aladdin' at St Georges Theatre in Gt Yarmouth.

It was JUST what panto should be. Humor set at exactly the right level, withinnuendo (or smut if you like ;) ) pitched with subtlety. Add to that a generous helping of audience participation and IMHO it was perfection of its type.

We shall certainly be going next Christmas!

Poppy, thats the important word "subtlety" IMHO. A good scriptwriter should be able to make it funny without going too far in the adult themes. Leave that to the blue comedian brigade, and ADULT shows, not family ones.

cheers Iain.

• Like 4

There has always been a crossover between music hall/burlesque and panto. However the sly humour that therefore is part of the tradition is justt that, sly, not 'in your face'. Having worked in theatre with a proud tradition of panto, I can't see this sort of material going into any good production.

• Like 1

For me, the best pantomimes should have something for everyone. Spectacle, a story for the kids and subtle doubles entendres and jokes for the adults who have to be there.

As for writing to the theatre, good luck with that. My wife took her grandson to our local theatre to watch "The Gruffalo's child". The production was rubbish, the kids in the audience were bored and playing in the aisles and the costumes and set design very poor. Mrs O wrote to the theatre and received a reply to the effect that this was drama, and she would not understand.

cheers

Steve

It is`nt just in Panto either,  TV is the same. Karen watches some of the soaps, and the story lines in them is not what i would call family entertainment. I hate soaps anyway and wish somebody in a high position would abolish them altogether. 

I find it annoying to hear foul language in a lot of films too, even though i`m not unknown to use more than the odd profanity myself, but when you watch the "Beverly Hills Cop" franchise films, every other word is f....ing this or f....the hell out of here. One time they put the film on early and edited all the bad language out, result?, i thoroughly enjoyed it.