The Broads National Park? Time to decide!

kfurbank

Visit the Norfolk Broads; Britain's Magical Waterland Today

www.visitnorfolk.co.uk/explore/Broads.aspx - Similarto Visit the Norfolk Broads; Britain's Magical Waterland Today

The only National Park with a city in it! Norfolk is possibly most famous for the man-madeBroads, over 125 miles of navigable lock-free waterways set in ...

Google is full of items like this now.

cheers Iain.

from that Strow,

I have come up with an Idea....

The Broads National Park*

Write a lot of waffle here,

And here.....

And here......

then in small text or lighter writing

put here...

* officially not a national park

The Broads National Park* is not officially a national park

Sorted

:Stinky

• Like 1

Long long overdue attempt to get this off the ground (again!!! ) Norwich has neglected one of its main assets for too long.

P.S. Are we really going to have every article pointed out to us for ad infinitum that refers to  Norwich being the only City in a National Park 'cos I guess that is now the new game!!!!

The game seems to be how many lies can be told.

"Adrian Clarke, senior waterways and recreation officer at the Broads Authority, said: “The Wensum is an iconic feature of the Broads, which itself is unique in being the only English National Park to embrace a city."

At a very early age, my mother taught me not to tell a lie, because I would then have to tell more lies to cover up the first one.

These are some facts:

1. The Broads is not legally a national park.

2. Norwich does not lie within the boundary of the administrative area of the Broads.

3. If Norwich City Council wishes to change its boundaries, there is a legal procedure to be followed, which will include a community governance review and the involvement of the Parliamentary Boundary Commission.

4. The Broads Authority is not permitted to change its boundaries without due legal process as set out in the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Act 1988.

Long long overdue attempt to get this off the ground (again!!! ) Norwich has neglected one of its main assets for too long.

P.S. Are we really going to have every article pointed out to us for ad infinitum that refers to  Norwich being the only City in a National Park 'cos I guess that is now the new game!!!!

I guess it's inevitable Marshman.

The apparently heinous crime of simply calling the Broads a "National Park" has long been a rallying call on the forums.

Yes, it would be great to see Norwich City Council make use of the rare natural gift of being a waterside location, rather than an ugly backdrop, gradually being absorbed by very expensive residential development.

I may have this wrong Pally but I thought that Norwich Was on the Norfolk Broads and that it was the "Broads National Park".

As legally the "Broads National Park" doesn't actually exist, surely it's going to be tricky defining it's borders.

Not at all, MM, it's really totally simply. You go to Natural England and ask them for the designation documents that they sent to the Secretary of State for ratification of the creation of the Broads National Park. These will contain a map which will very clearly show those boundaries.

Very much like the one that is authorised in the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Act 1988, when the Broads executive area was initially created. Obviously, that Act no longer applies to the Broads, which means that the bye laws made under it no longer apply. So any boater can travel at any speed they like, create as much wash as they want, can water ski wherever they please. Hirers aren't limited to cruising only during the hours of daylight, either, as the requirement to display lights is no longer.

Perhaps being a national park isn't such a bad thing after all.

• Like 1

....Perhaps being a national park isn't such a bad thing after all.

Sorry Paladin, even though I've taken it out of your intended context, it was too tempting to resist !  :naughty: 

Thank you for that link Jenny, very interesting, so have book marked it. 

Getting back to the subject of the Broads having National Park status, I was surprised that this question was not raised during Question Time on last nights programme, which came from Norwich. Maybe it wasn't deemed important enough for some reason.

Questions were submitted to that programme, but the issue was, apparently, deemed to be of more local interest than national concern, and, although the programme travels around the country, they only deal with national matters. Don't see why they don't just stay in London, in that case, and take their questions by phone.

Regarding Norwich and The Broads, it has long been the capital of Norfolk so one might reasonably expect it to be the capital of the Norfolk Broads, despite a large portion of The Broads being in Suffolk! However, Norwich has long turned its back on its river, and its Yacht Station. In a nutshell I don't think Norwich deserves the Wensum, in itself an absolutely delightful river that winds for many mile through Norfolk. 

Is including Norwich in the mythical Broads National Park part of Packmans self aggrandisement strategy or has Norwich woken up to the Broads and the fact that it is right on its doorstep? 

It is a fact that Norwich is outside the Broads Authority's administrative area so to include it in the BNP is a tad tenuous. In reality Norwich is as much part of the Broads as is Gt Yarmouth but surely no one would consider including a down at heel town like Yarmouth, or grubby Lowestoft come to that, in the BNP, would they or have they?

Who actually decided to include Norwich in the BNP? 

"Adrian Clarke, senior waterways and recreation officer at the Broads Authority, said: “The Wensum is an iconic feature of the Broads. 

Does the bloke actually realise how little of the Wensum is actually located within the Broads area?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Broads_UK_location_map.svg