Easy to manage Broads Map

GeoffandWendy

I sent for a couple of Broads Boating Maps a few weeks ago, ready for our holiday in April. These fold out paper maps are really good but can be awkward to use without the risk of getting ripped, by constant folding backwards and forwards, to display the portion of map you need to navigate.

So I decided to cut them up into A4 chart size pieces. The first map was cut on the map side, to cover all the whole system and the second map, was cut the same, but using the information on the reverse, such as, a distance chart, Mooring facilities, and other useful information. I also was able to cut out the larger scale maps for each major area, such as Stallham, Wroxham, Potter Heigham, Horning and so on from this side too.

Once all these were cut out, I set the first chart inside a A4 size laminate folder, then placed a plain A4 sheet of paper to cover the reverse, I then placed one of the information charts I had cut, on top of the plain paper - I then put the whole laminated folder through the laminator, thus ending up with six A4 size plastic charts.

They are much easier to use, than having to keep unfolding and refolding a paper map. They wont rip and don't take up much room. Easy to lay on the dashboard and they can also be used on open cockpits in the rain, as they are totally weather proof.

Here are a few photos of some of the laminated charts I made. Sorry for the darkened images, but they were taken under artificial light and turned out a bit dark.

post-32645-0-12391500-1423779148_thumb.jpost-32645-0-65422000-1423779191_thumb.jpost-32645-0-27852000-1423779235_thumb.jpost-32645-0-95834600-1423779271_thumb.j 

• Like 5

What a novel idea. Maybe you should make up a load and sell them?.

I had a novel idea to solve the constant and sometimes impossible to get tv signal. I`m going to make an "L" bracket to attach to a portable tv ariel, then adapt it to fit onto a cheap secondhand camera tripod i bought at a bootsale. Then you can adjust the ariel height from about 15" to nearly 6ft. Sounds good in theory, but i`l report back when i`ve done it.

Love the idea of the laminated map sections though :clap :clap .

• Like 1

Snap...  :)

I found the same as Geoff, the full size folding maps can be very cumbersome, especially with the hood down if there's any wind about.

I made up a laminated set in A3 with the Ordnance OL40 on the front and Hamilton's on the back, matching area for area. They live in the chart rack in the cabin, and the individual sheets are placed under the chart cover in the cockpit when in use.

I've since found an easier solution though, ready-made.

The large scale Ordnance Survey OL40 1:25000 Broads map is now available in booklet form, slightly taller than A5 size, so it's quite manageable.

Published by Geographers A-Z Map Co  as one of their "adventurer atlases", it is exactly the same scale and detail as the OS map.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Broads-Adventure-Atlas-A-Z/dp/1843488698

I find I'm using that the most now, whether in the boat, canoe, cycling, or walking.

post-195-0-31298600-1423818915_thumb.jpg

post-195-0-46136500-1423818926_thumb.jpg

post-195-0-20053200-1423818955_thumb.jpg

post-195-0-88674800-1423818982_thumb.jpg

post-195-0-13820400-1423819004_thumb.jpg

Thank you Strowager (don't know your proper name) You can never have too many maps and I like the A5 size Ordinance Survey Broads Book map as well, that you mentioned, so from your link, I have ordered one. There are a few sellers, on the same Amazon site, selling  them new, at half the price as Amazon and got mine for £3.32 + £2.80 postage. Amazon price £7.95 + £2.80 postage, thus getting one for half the price.

If you have an Ipad or Mobile there's a nice app called Norfolk Broads Tourist Map, has everything you need on it, and it runs offline,

Frank,,,

Here's a link to what it's all about, but don't try and download it from the link, you need to do that on your mobile or tablet,,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phonegap.norfolkbroadsmap&hl=en_GB

....There are a few sellers, on the same Amazon site, selling  them new, at half the price as Amazon and got mine for £3.32 + £2.80 postage. Amazon price £7.95 + £2.80 postage, thus getting one for half the price.

Yes Geoff, it's strange the way Amazon sell direct and also advertise cheaper competition !

I actually got mine from Roys at Wroxham, no postage, but still slightly more expensive than your find.

I scanned mine in section and printed out again put 2 back to back and lamiated. There now also on Ipad and plan to put our wild mooring points on them and re-print.

We checked out a else where and could place in the download secion due to copyrights.

Geoff I used to do what you suggest but I now use my apple ipad and I have put the app on what Mojo suggests and also scanned all other things river distances bridges doctors hospitals pubs restraunts etc and the full engine manual to my 1.5 BMC for just in case of problems I just have to change the tide tables each year.

Clive

I like my toys too, I have an HTC android phone and a tablet, but for charts and maps I find paper difficult to beat.

Each "page" is a large flexible screen, with an everlasting battery.  Several "screens" can be viewed simultaneously, side by side.

I do actually have MM tracker on my phone, loaded with ordnance survey 1:25000 maps, which shows where I am via its GPS, but I'm always worried that the battery will run down and leave me without being able to use the phone, its primary purpose for emergencies ! :)

post-195-0-58555500-1423900493_thumb.jpg

We use the I pad with stored maps ,local information,distance charts and tide times for the duration.of our trip from Shorebase ,On our I pad you can capture any screen shot ,so web pages can be saved or just a photo taken.Copy them to the phone to see at any time.Keep the Hamiltons from the Seventies with river guide as it brings back memories from the early trips.The laminated maps I find useful with a wipe clean pen for making notes .

Each to their own I suppose, but regarding maps etc, I think we will suffice with what we have for our holidays. But if technology makes it better for you, then why not have all these gadgets.

Not to say that we won't be using any gadgets, as we will be bringing, three camcorders, two digital cameras, spare batteries and chargers, plus 1 powerful pair of binoculars 30 - 160 x 70 with tripod, for stargazing, and two smaller pairs 10 x 50 for bird watching.

Each to their own I suppose, but regarding maps etc, I think we will suffice with what we have for our holidays. But if technology makes it better for you, then why not have all these gadgets.

Not to say that we won't be using any gadgets, as we will be bringing, three camcorders, two digital cameras, spare batteries and chargers, plus 1 powerful pair of binoculars 30 - 160 x 70 with tripod, for stargazing, and two smaller pairs 10 x 50 for bird watching.

Oh and a VERY LONG Video at the end of it all Geoff? :naughty: For us all to admire?

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Oh and a VERY LONG Video at the end of it all Geoff? :naughty: For us all to admire?

cheers Iain.

Hopefully Iain, if all goes well. As long as London Rascal approves,   : lol:  he might think I am trying to better him. 

But our video's will feature more on some wildlife as well as covering our holiday and places we visit.

• Like 1