Wensum Strategy

Oddfellow

This is long overdue.

Two years back, there was a punt company offering Wensum trips, but that's no more.

The council owns the pontoon that the punts ran from and offered an initial low rent which, I am told, rose stupidly to unworkable levels.

Indeed, I believe that the council owns the pontoons used by City Boats also.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/breathing_new_life_into_a_river_norwich_turned_its_back_on_1_3956528

• Like 5

Agreed, long overdue. Does anyone actually know where the Broads Authority's boundary is? I know that the navigation ends just beyond the Yacht Station, is that the limit of their responsibility? 

Hi Peter,

The limit of navigation is further up at "New Mills", which i assume to be the flour mill related to in the article, which closes the river.  Whether or not the river was still navigable above New Mills before they were built years ago i don`t know, so i hope someone with more historical knowledge might be able to say?.

The sign limiting navigation just beyod the yacht station relates to hire craft, and there`s film footage of people cruising above (Bishop gate bridge?) on you tube.

It is a bit tight under some of the bridges, which are numerous, but the width of river and turning space at New Mills should suit quite large boats.

I`m not sure about depth of water, though to the river bed is fine, but several people have complained about shopping trolleys etc causing underwater hazaeds.

If you took "Jenny Morgan" up there though, once you drop the mast, you`d be fine.

I am aware that rangers were removing trolleys and so on from around the pontoon by the Ribs of Beef a week or so ago. The water depth there is surprising.

However, I have also heard Linda from City Boats complaining that the reiver desperately needs dredging in places and that the BA isn't doing so, presumably because of limited resources and the fact that the river is little used beyond Bishop's Bridge.

We have, in the past, allowed day boats under Bishop's Bridge, but take a view on this according to how weeded up we know the river to be around there.

• Like 1

Agreed, long overdue. Does anyone actually know where the Broads Authority's boundary is? I know that the navigation ends just beyond the Yacht Station, is that the limit of their responsibility? 

I presume the Broads Authority can answer that question. I make a point of going as far as New Mills every time I visit that area, just because I can.

However, from the point of view of discussion, this is my take on it. Feel free to disagree.

The Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Act 1988 Sec 8(1) defines "the navigation" and it's basically any water that was in use under a right of navigation at the time the Act was passed. New Mills is the upper limit on the Wensum, and the BA is responsible for navigation maintenance, up to that point.

But the BA has a further responsibility to maintain the "Norwich navigation" to a standard "as may reasonably be required by such sea going freight vessels as wish to use it.” (1988 Act Part II Sch 5). The Norwich navigation is defined in the Act as that part of the river Wensum which is downstream from Foundry Bridge together with that part of the river Yare which is both downstream from its confluence with the river Wensum and within the navigation area.”

Now here's a BUT...if you look at the map of the executive area that is provided on the BA's web site, it finishes well short of the railway station, let alone New Mills.

Could it be that the executive area and the navigation area are not coterminous?

post-117-0-85580400-1423996714_thumb.jpg

This might be of use?.   Somebody posted a film clip on another thread where they took their cruiser up and turned around right in front of the New Mills buildings, but i can`t find it on you tube.

Not exactly much up there, but if there were more moorings, and the water was clear of underwater obstructions, it would make a great alternative to Norwich yachtstation, which is also slightly closer to the centre of Norwich, and all the restaurants and shops etc..

That is a very interesting video. Just a shame it was speeded up between the bridges. That is a very quiet and special area of the river. It's obvious from the video that the bridges need particular care in negotiating them, and some of them are not for the faint-hearted. It can get quite weedy, and, has been said, shopping trollies swim there, so I always have a lookout stationed on the bow and I always stay mid-channel. The water is very clear, so hazards are easy to spot (so far anyway!).

There are moorings between Whitefriars and Fye bridges, but I don't know if they are public or private. In any case, there is no security there and I wouldn't be happy leaving my cruiser there, while I went shopping.

• Like 1

We have taken both Moonlight Shadow and Lightning up to New Mills in recent years. The last time was summer 2013 on Lightning. 

One of our trips was at low tide and had no problem with depth or turning at New Mills. 

Just take it slowly - wouldn't want to rush it anyway - and keep to the centre of the channel.

Been up at high water also and the only bridge that is really tight is Bishop's Bridge at the end of the yacht station. It has a dog leg to the right immediately after it, so going upstream is fairly easy as you can take it slowly against the current.

Extra care is needed negotiating this bridge coming downstream especially in a longer boat such as Lightning. I wouldn't advise passing under the bridge when there is anything more than a gentle flow behind you and if possible navigate it when the tide has turned and the water is fairly slack or against you as you only have a couple of boat's lengths to straighten up for the bridge after the dog leg.

Having said this the trip isn't difficult with care and well worth it.

Roy

• Like 1

We have taken both Moonlight Shadow and Lightning up to New Mills in recent years. The last time was summer 2013 on Lightning. 

One of our trips was at low tide and had no problem with depth or turning at New Mills. 

Just take it slowly - wouldn't want to rush it anyway - and keep to the centre of the channel.

Been up at high water also and the only bridge that is really tight is Bishop's Bridge at the end of the yacht station. It has a dog leg to the right immediately after it, so going upstream is fairly easy as you can take it slowly against the current.

Extra care is needed negotiating this bridge coming downstream especially in a longer boat such as Lightning. I wouldn't advise passing under the bridge when there is anything more than a gentle flow behind you and if possible navigate it when the tide has turned and the water is fairly slack or against you as you only have a couple of boat's lengths to straighten up for the bridge after the dog leg.

Having said this the trip isn't difficult with care and well worth it.

Roy

Hi Roy,

We`re on Lightning at the end of May (could have gone end of Feb, but can`t make it, fancy a weekend on her?) so we might make this our first trip, or at the end of the week. This has to be the one of only two parts of the navigable broads i have`nt been to, and that`s because up untill October last year, i`ve always been on a hireboat.

The only other, is to Coltishall lock, where i`d like to moor for the night and fish (though not in late May / early June), have you ever taken Lightning that far Roy, and if so, any problems or areas that need caution?.

Hi Matt,

Well there is the bridge at Wroxham..... :smile:

Steer from the inside, fold/lower up help seat (does yours do that?), remove mops etc from roof, lower screen (!), and remove the ensign-far closer than I ever imagined and check the bridge height!

I`m more than happy taking Lightning through Wroxham Bridge, as i`ve done it every time we`ve been to Coltishall, and have never needed the services of the bridge pilot.

Regarding Coltishall lock though, i was talking about depth of water and weed growth etc./ Have you ever taken Thunder that far up?.

Hi Roy,

We`re on Lightning at the end of May (could have gone end of Feb, but can`t make it, fancy a weekend on her?) so we might make this our first trip, or at the end of the week. This has to be the one of only two parts of the navigable broads i have`nt been to, and that`s because up untill October last year, i`ve always been on a hireboat.

The only other, is to Coltishall lock, where i`d like to moor for the night and fish (though not in late May / early June), have you ever taken Lightning that far Roy, and if so, any problems or areas that need caution?.

Hi,

Only been as far as the junction of the lock and weir arms but as Matt says there is room to turn at the lock.

Plenty of depth down the middle with very clear water. Keep an eye on your temperature especially if there is any floating weed.

Think I will have a go at mooring at the lock myself this year. Let me know how you go on.

Roy

• Like 1

I'd advise you not to take Lightning right up to the disused lock at Colishall.

I've been there on 'B.A' only just the 'once' :liar

Horrible place, nowhere to moor safely, loads of weed, hardly any depth of water, just about impossible to turn unless using ropes / boat-hooks.  No where for 4 x legged crew members to exercise. Infested with moz'ies / grass snakes / nettles. A ten day camel hike into the village through a very ugly muddy path.  Fishing? - forget it. Litter strewn everywhere.  No mill pool/race to view, no picturesque ruins of the former mill to view or walk round, no cheery passers by or folk in canoes.  However plenty of hoody yoofs smoking goodness knows what loitering around with intent.

As per the pic attached - see for yourself.

However if you do ignore my 'Advice'  and discover it for yourself, please keep it to yourself!

Griff

post-65-0-30784500-1424028225_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks horrible Griff.

Not the sort of place I would like to spend time lazing on the bank with a glass of something and definitely not anywhere anybody would want to drown some maggots.

I better not show Lightning your pic, she may force me to take her there.

Roy

• Like 2

Niel I second/third...Coltishall as is geldeston are terrible places (We only been up to coltishall a few times though with Janet from Marthams - I got mum and dads big boat through beccles (just..!) ).. If you hate sitting on the front of the boat watching pike (fish) chasing little fish through the crystal clear water then don't go to either... 

So, if they are going to improve access, does that mean for ALL boats, or just punts, canoes, and rowing boats?. I`m all for the regeneration of this stretch of river, but i have yet another sneaking suspicion that larger cruisers will be exempt from it in favour of paddle or pole powered craft.

I do hope i`m wrong, but i`l believe things when i actually see them.

Niel I second/third...Coltishall as is geldeston are terrible places (We only been up to coltishall a few times though with Janet from Marthams - I got mum and dads big boat through beccles (just..!) ).. If you hate sitting on the front of the boat watching pike (fish) chasing little fish through the crystal clear water then don't go to either... 

Yes, i know what you mean about Geldeston Alan, another terrible place. I`l just have to go there to make sure no one else should suffer  :naughty: :naughty: :dance

• Like 1

Yes, i know what you mean about Geldeston Alan, another terrible place. I`l just have to go there to make sure no one else should suffer  :naughty: :naughty: :dance

Neil.. if you steal my mooring spot at Geldeston.. I won't be happy two guns  lol actually we will just mudweight and I'll just swim to the pub!

• Like 1

Neil.. if you steal my mooring spot at Geldeston.. I won't be happy two guns  lol actually we will just mudweight and I'll just swim to the pub!

Now that`s the actions of either a desperate man, or a dedicated one?. In Howards case (Norfolk Nog), i`d say he was dedicated, but in your case Allan..............................  I`l get me coat.

• Like 2