Wensum Strategy

Oddfellow

I can remember Gas Street Basin in Birmingham, back in the seventies, when it was nothing but a forgotten part of canal history. Full of rubbish, rotting barges from a forgotten era, hidden from view, unless you knew it's whereabouts. Today, it is a thriving area, with lots of new apartments, shops, pubs, cafes and moorings. It is a delightful area to spend a few hours, watching the bustle of a thriving area, once again.

I'm sure Norwich could be revamped with careful thought and planning, if money was to become available.

City areas, where rivers and canals, were the life blood of the communities once thrived, are slowly being redeveloped into areas, where people can enjoy waterside amenities.

I am sure Norwich, will at some later date, get it's own waterway development. It just needs to get it right and money to make it happen 

• Like 1

I think part of the problem with Norwich is the "yacht" station is in the wrong spot.. stuck between the train station and clubbing district.. nice! I don't trust the safety there to stay overnight (although apparently it's ok). 

Personally I think get rid of it and allow passage beyond the bridge (for hire boats) and allow boats to tie up further along (or towards the football stadium). This would give the area more of a canal/river feel.. I'm sure there's a ton of access problems/safety/insurance etc but thats my opinion..

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

The Yacht Station was there long before the Wetherspoons and night clubs etc. I am sure someone will have a pic of it when it use to be chocablock double moored most if not all its length. That length of mooring now, has been reduced, and has been made more secure too, with coded gates.

I do like your idea sort of, moorings being near Carrow Road and Norwich FC, or beyond Bishopsgate, but, just like the YS it will have its ejits that think its fun to undo mooring ropes. Personaly, I always ring rope back onto the boat and drop the mudweight. 

Just read Matt's remark and agree some may panic there. (Bishopsgate Bridge)

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Matt its not a low bridge though is it? I don't see what a worry could be (although it's a long since I was last there). I guessed the problem with stopping navigation for hireboats is the water levels are a bit low .. is it the bridge that is the cause then?

Iain the last thing I want to do is put people of going anywhere on the broads, when i say safety it's unfounded for me really.. We've stopped here probably 5 times (ok not alot) but only once did we have someone knock on a window.. as you say for ropes I pass also my back as a matter of course and drop the heavy thing down too but I doubt the boat would go far without the weight anyway.. i don't really like mooring near people anyway and I'm not a city boy anymore so don't like cities hence doing boating!.. but I think I may overnight in norwich if I was to find somewhere in the city where there's a quieter corner (the river winds on for quite a bit until the mill doesn't it?).  As you say I'm sure one day it was busy but as the citys moved on.. I think the moorings should too.. I think just beyond Bishopsgate bridge around the corner it quietens out quickly.. maybe one day :)  

Hi Alan,

There use to be a riverside pub on the port side before the YS, The Ferry? summat like that, we stayed there a few times overnight. Got a taxi into the city from there. Sadly it is no more.

If I was allowed through, it would have been the Ribs of Beaf pub for me to moor up at :naughty: in years passed.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

The Yacht Station was there long before the Wetherspoons and night clubs etc. I am sure someone will have a pic of it when it use to be chocablock double moored most if not all its length.

How's this then?

I took this photo on 23 June '65 and not yet holiday time!

Our hireboat, 'Fiesta', is the one with the white hull about halfway down.

Notice the carpark on the opposite of the river.

post-199-0-93021300-1424106224_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

How's this then?

I took this photo on 23 June '65 and not yet holiday time!

Our hireboat, 'Fiesta', is the one with the white hull about halfway down.

Notice the carpark on the opposite of the river.

Thanks for that BB. Is that where the Compleat Angler is now?The car park?

cheers Iain.

Matt its not a low bridge though is it? I don't see what a worry could be (although it's a long since I was last there). I guessed the problem with stopping navigation for hireboats is the water levels are a bit low .. is it the bridge that is the cause then?

Iain the last thing I want to do is put people of going anywhere on the broads, when i say safety it's unfounded for me really.. We've stopped here probably 5 times (ok not alot) but only once did we have someone knock on a window.. as you say for ropes I pass also my back as a matter of course and drop the heavy thing down too but I doubt the boat would go far without the weight anyway.. i don't really like mooring near people anyway and I'm not a city boy anymore so don't like cities hence doing boating!.. but I think I may overnight in norwich if I was to find somewhere in the city where there's a quieter corner (the river winds on for quite a bit until the mill doesn't it?).  As you say I'm sure one day it was busy but as the citys moved on.. I think the moorings should too.. I think just beyond Bishopsgate bridge around the corner it quietens out quickly.. maybe one day :)

Alan,

Bishops Bridge is quite low with a quite steeply curved arch, plus the navigation arch is not in the centre of the river.

I can't see hire yards agreeing to let their boats pass it.

We have not used the yacht station since we were untied at one end in the early hours one October. The decks were really icy and it certainly put me off mooring in Norwich.

Roy

• Like 2

That`s why we won`t moor there anymore Roy.

I do think whoever is responsible for the upkeep and maintainance of the yacht station should change the mooring posts to the "P"  type as used on the EA moorings on the Fens. Pass the mooring rope through the loop and return to your cleats, then it can`t be untied.

Or alternatively, have mooring irons inset into the quay heading below the top of the quay, which would only be accessable by boat.

That`s why we won`t moor there anymore Roy.

I do think whoever is responsible for the upkeep and maintainance of the yacht station should change the mooring posts to the "P"  type as used on the EA moorings on the Fens. Pass the mooring rope through the loop and return to your cleats, then it can`t be untied.

Or alternatively, have mooring irons inset into the quay heading below the top of the quay, which would only be accessable by boat

That type of mooring post has been there with the P ring ever since the YS  was upgraded more years than I would like to count! In fact, I was tied on two the night of the Hurricane in 1987.

cheers Iain.

I concur the mooring posts have a metal eye at the top of them to pass the ropes back onboard - they have been that way forever and a day as far as I remember.

I've over-nighted quite a few time onboard 'B.A' and never had a problem.  It is quite a secure area nowadays, keycode access and all that malarky

(Hope I'm not tempting fate)

Norwich imho is a fine city too, I like it a lot and would choose Norwich over 'Gt' Yarmouth any day of the week

Griff

• Like 2

I've never overnighted in Norwich, but I've heard the rumours about boats being untied.  I mentioned these to one of the Rangers who works at the Yacht Station, and he said it was nonsense, that in the x years he's worked there no such incident has occurred (*waits for someone who KNOWS different to pipe up*).

The Ranger said that he had a conversation with a hirer who was worried about being untied, and the hirer said that he'd been warned by a publican down river somewhere ... the Ranger thought the publican was trying to make sure 'punters' stayed near the pub instead and made him money.

I remember the Ferryboat ... used to do good range of beers and the occasional live band ... much missed.

• Like 2

Sadly these incidents do happen, I have heard rumours of boats being used as toilets.

The other year I am sure you will remember the German family being woken in the night after being cast adrift at the Yarmouth Yacht Station.

This action is not just limited to the Broads but also happens on the canals as well.

With regards to the Broads if you are in doubt then drop your mud weight, we always tend to fasten off on board when ever possible.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

SWMBO often said when we were moored up at NYS look at all those poor sods having to go work, as the cars bombed past :naughty: . While we on the other hand are looking over to that magnificent Cathedral. Always more than one way to look at things there.

Personally I have probably moored at the Yacht Station in excess of forty times possibly more. Yes, you will get the idiots, but, IF you tie your boat up properly, things should be ok. 

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Sadly these incidents do happen, I have heard rumours of boats being used as toilets.

The other year I am sure you will remember the German family being woken in the night after being cast adrift at the Yarmouth Yacht Station.

But is that what they are, RUMOURS?  I don't know about Yarmouth, I was speaking specifically about Norwich.

i have first hand knowledge of several boats being untied at Norwich Yacht Station. We were all asleep in the early hours of the morning to be woken up by lots of shouting. Several boats had been untied, but one had not put his mud weight down and was drifting away in the middle of the river. It took several minutes before a sleepy head looked out of the window to see what the fuss was about. He then realised what was happening. Boats all tied back up and his mud weight down then back to sleep with the excitement over.

This all happened back in 1985 before the fence and gates. We have stayed many times since occasionally using Thorpe instead but have never had a repeat. Always put your ropes through the loop and tied them back on the boat. I alwaysbring the non bank side over as well if long enough and tie them as well or use a spring. Then I always put the mud weight down. Saved us in 1985. I put it down out of habit now where ever we moor.

• Like 1

So, boats being cast off 30 years ago.  OK, my Ranger source wasn't around that long ago.  Recently?

Yep, less than 10 years ago, we were told by John and Linda at Maffetts how they had to free off a rope round a prop because it was untied and got tangled underneath.  What the fence DOES`NT protect you from is the waterborn yobs who go round in the early hours nicking fenders etc.

Ok I feel bad now.. this is all getting very negative and I dread to think what newbies/potential visitors must be thinking!

As we all know there are far far far more positives on the broads which far outweigh the smallest chances of anything like this happening... lets turn this back to the positive!! Good luck to norwich for these improvements.. I can't wait to see what improvements they make and I so can't explain how much I can't wait to get back up to the broads!!

cheers

• Like 3

Yep, less than 10 years ago, we were told by John and Linda at Maffetts how they had to free off a rope round a prop because it was untied and got tangled underneath.  What the fence DOES`NT protect you from is the waterborn yobs who go round in the early hours nicking fenders etc.

Or did the hirers 'cock up' and blame somebody else to save face?  More rumour and supposition?