Nice looking cruiser on Gumtree

I'll have to stop looking at online boating adverts.....

Whenever I'm not in the market for a change, I see a really clean looking boat at a good price.

There's a Broads based Madeira 27 twin inboard diesel cruiser on Gumtree for only £13,500.

The pictures show it to be in really clean condition.

Twin diesels....  my recurring dream...  never realised so far....   :rolleyes:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks-jet-skis/madeira-27-aft-cockpit/1098349536

post-195-0-94101300-1424707801_thumb.jpg

Pity there is not a picture of the engine bay.

Lucky for me, the temptation would be even worse....  :)

Gumtree shows the photos in a very small window on my notebook, whereas the images are actually much bigger and more detailed.

Such a nice helm position, much tidier than the usual scruffy offering from brokers at this price  ..... :rolleyes:

post-195-0-85669300-1424708534_thumb.jpg

That`s a nice boat, but with twin deisels, on a 27ft in-land cruiser?, what a waste. I don`t think you need any more than 25hp in a 27ft Elysian / Madeira / Bounty for in-land use?. It`s the same as the Hampton 25, which were mainly fitted with BMC 1.5s or the Perkins 4108, but that was because there were very few small deisels to choose from when the were built in the 70s. Several Hamptons have now been retro fitted with smaller engines and i`ve even seen one advertised with a 16hp twin cylinder unit, though i think that might be a little bit too small.  They did advertise it gave 6 knots cruising, but if you need an emergency burst of power, i think 16hp will struggle.

Back to the Madeira though, and i think it`s a nice looking boat, and with that hard top, good in bad weather.

I thought you already had the boat of your choice Strow?.

......I thought you already had the boat of your choice Strow?.

Yes Neil, that's why it's so painful to see such a beauty for such a good price....   :)

You're absolutely right about not needing the BHP of twins on the Broads, but there are other distinct advantages.

It's the utlimate in breakdown insurance, even for inland use.

Two completely independent engines, gearboxes, propshafts and even props, with only a shared fuel tank.

Greatly enhanced maneuverability,  turning on the spot in tight spaces, one ahead, one in reverse.

I know a few people with twin installations on the Broads, they generally cruise on one, alternating them day by day, so fuel consumption is the same as a single.

...and whenever they do go salt side, it's much more reassuring than a single, no matter how well maintained.

breakdown insurance?

£120 inc VAT including diving and towing if stuck on breydon, discounts for engine servicing and NCB after 1 and 2 years?

cheaper than lugging a spare engine round and maintaining it !!

But think of the difference in call out time....

Wait (several ?) hours for the call out engineer,

....or reach across to the ignition key and twist it for engine number two.

Even more comforting on a lee shore if out past the pier heads.  :)

That hull was designed for off-shore boating with twin petrol engines.(there is an Elysian website with some nice pics of one out at sea). If I hadn't already got a Bounty, I'd be very interested. Maybe I should have a word with Jason and get him to put a second engine in Nyx :)

Hi John,

yes, i`ve seen the Elysian website, and very informative too. I particularly like the picture of the pre production model undergoing "sea trials" on the Great Ouse, take a look at the bow wave and wash, but it is doing about 14 knots, which was NOT breaking any speed limit, as there never used to be one.

Re the sea going hull, yes, you are correct, but only the early ones. The later ones were re-moulded with a skeg for river use, and these i believe were more heavily constructed especially for hire use, where the vast majority ended up.

I think it also says somewhere on the website, that one of the Madeira variants had a pair of BIG petrols, which were clocked at around 30 knots, though memory might be playing me tricks?.

the good old maderia nice little boot recylled eleisyain 27 amazing what yer can doo ..................

we have one for sale too.................

you have a choice ...............

i like these too............

re break down use us if you need us and no fees for stand by pay as you go simple .................we tow while others stow ............