ORCA's new home is.....

JawsOrca

Somerleyton Marina!

On the sunny quiet southern broads.. (No where near stalham where we was aiming and no where near the ends of the rivers again where we was looking for)...

But impressed with the (price!), service on the phone, pontoon berths, Security seems good, fellow forum members steveanddebs will be there (Sorry guys.. ;) and the location, we do actually prefer the southern broads; all the better restaurants are south and it's a perfect spot for visiting our favourite pub.. the locks inn at geldeston...

Now just need to get through the BSC and make sure she floats!! (Although we will still take it over as we will be there sometime this year!)..

• Like 11

cheers Iain! to be honest it's probably the other way round although I need to let the marina know so they can pop in and check on the boat every now and again! 

We've not actually been to the marina Iain lol but I've been chatting to steve (steveanddeb) and I got good vibes talking to the mark from the marina on the phone. We only been to somerleyton twice (first time last year!!) but again it seems really nice and we had a little peep down the to the marine and it seemed very secure so we walked no further. I think we will be very happy there.. the good thing is that it has floating pontoons so no worries about any flooding :) worse case it's a foot in door to norfolk and a mooring :) 

• Like 1

We think the airdraft is about 7.6. we've not floated yet so we are guessing! My folks boat is 8.6 and I got that through beccles though, so I'm confident! I know we wont get through all the time but if we can make it occasionally that will be good.

I dont think the berths have electric although we dont have shore power and I'm against installing it because I see the boat as a means to escape, I'm stuck on a laptop the majority of the day so not being able to have electric is perfect for me!  

The south is the best ;)cheers

Hi Alan,

Unless severe high tides with a 7ft6" draft you will get through often, I am sure. You could of course be stuck, but I have seen it often at 8ft6" to 9ft clearance at low water. Just need to check your tide tables! In the past I phoned the Yacht Station at Beccles if high tides were due.

cheers Iain.

Congratulations.

If you need any advice on BSS compliance, I'm happy to help if I can.

Many thanks, we had the exam last week and failed on a few things  :shocked .. most of which have been fixed so I'm hoping to get the chap back next week for the retest.. I must admit it's a minefield although we did better than expected considering the work we've done :)cheers

Iain, I did squeeze mum and dads through and thats 8.6 (had an inch spare lol) had a quick beer and ran back .. easy  :naughty: I did wind mum up too.. i got a picture somewhere.. Unfortunately we are hoping Orca sits high in the water so we will see I doubt it's above 8.6 though.. cheers

• Like 1

DF - there is no electric for any of the moorings at Somerlayton at the moment, although I've heard they do plan to install posts in the future. Being Norfolk, how far in the future is anyone guess ;) everything seems to get done at a relaxed pace up there.

Congrats Alan, the floating pontoons were one of the main reasons we decided to take the mooring here. No doubt we will catch up with you there at some point.

cheers

Steve

DF - there is no electric for any of the moorings at Somerlayton at the moment, although I've heard they do plan to install posts in the future. Being Norfolk, how far in the future is anyone guess ;) everything seems to get done at a relaxed pace up there.

Congrats Alan, the floating pontoons were one of the main reasons we decided to take the mooring here. No doubt we will catch up with you there at some point.

cheers

Steve

I think you will find Somerleyton is in Suffolk, only just though. However the speed of improvements is likely to be even slower than in Norfolk. The pontoons are floating at present but a few sink every now and again.

However it is a very friendly place and very good for wildlife.

• Like 3

cheers

Steve

Isn't Somerleyton in Suffolk?

I must admit i wasn't quite sure where the border is (I knew it was the waveney but guessed it only went as far as oulton!) Googleing indicates that gorleston is in suffolk too is that right?)... and does this means that I'll have to find a "thesuffolkbroads.net" and leave this forum? ;)cheers

Hi Alan,

I think you will find its the Waveney River to blame, I could be wrong though. I remember my first time mooring inside Astons at Beccles, the two border signs were very near the entrance to the yard.

You walked out of Norfolk into Suffolk crossing the bridge to go into Beccles.

All very confuzzling indeed! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi Alan (and Dave),

i don`t know whether you`re aware, but the yard at Somerleyton was once the yard owned by Sir Christopher Cockeril, the chap who invented the hovercraft, and i think, though not sure, he did some testing etc there.

He was also the designer of those classic Broads cruisers named after birds of Norfolk, Lapwing, Grebeetc etc. They were the ones that had the step in the hull, and a flat foredeck / cabin top, and the coachroof had a full curve to suit the bridges.

The man was a genius, and now you have a mooring in his yard.

He lived up in the village not far, and i believe the house has a dedication plaque?, though things might have changed in recent years.

Congratulations on getting a good mooring too.

• Like 2

Aye, that`s the type Iain.

I always like them back in the day, and always wanted to hire one, but never had the chance., as i think they were always out of my price range.

They were quite a spacious design, with a surprising amount of room, and i think they also had a lot of internal headroom. Must have had a deep hull?.

• Like 1