North elec post question

Robbenton

Hi all

We are going on the north side for the first time in a few years. Can someone please confirm if the elec posts have 16a and 32a sockets and hire boats have 16a socket lead as standard if they have 240v ? When we had our syndicate boat we had it all and I want to order some splitters.

Thanks

Maybe this is something that Clive can answer but, I would

say that plugging a hire boat into a 32amp socket to feed a

16amp supply on the boat is a big no-no!

If anything should go wrong, you may be liable for the full

cost of the repairs as you are not complying with the hire

boat's fittings and I doubt that the insurance would pay up.

IMHO of course.

I'll echo BuffaloBill's word of caution.

The subject of adapting a 32 amp post outlet to 16 amp shorepower leads came up a year or two back on the forums and became a very heated topic.

Even for privately owned boats, using a 32 amp outlet to feed a conventional 16 amp shorepower installation could be very hazardous.

The only way such an adapter lead could be safe would be if it contained a 16 amp fuse or breaker as close as possible to the 32 amp plug, and certainly before the 16 amp socket or any 16 amp rated cable.

If they are constructed that way, then fine, they're safe, but If not, then they break electrical regulations and could cause a fire.

Similarly, using splitters on 16 amp post outlets to feed more than one boat caused a lot of disagreement too, and I believe there were some instances of BA rangers disconnecting any that they found.

Strangely enough though, that is not dangerous electrically, because the 16 amp post mcb trips safely (and probably frequently !), no matter how many boats are connected, as soon as 16 amps total is exceeded.

32 amp outlets were included on shorepower posts primarily for electricity propelled boats to recharge, where the increased current gives half the charging time.

Firstly, welcome to the forum Rob

and secondly, i don`t think ANY hire boats have a 240v domestic hook up system (though i willfully stand to be corrected?), as i think it would lead (excuse that punn Strow) to a host of difficulties. What we have is a 240v hook up lead with a bank of 3 sockets and built in RCD (is that right?) circuit breaker. I`m sure if they`re CE approved, and you allow the yard engineers to inspect it, they would allow you to use it.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mobile-mains-kit-p155317

I know they are a caravan and camping outlet, but these units are designed and constructed to be used in all weather conditions, so should be perfectly ok for inland boating use.

Even though we now have a 240v hook up on our syndicate boat, we still take it along as an emergency back-up.

So a 32a to 16a is a no no. But a 16a twin splitter is kind of ok.

That's quite a good choice of words Rob, it's quite a grey area. :)

I've never actually seen a 32 amp to 16 amp adapter lead, but if it does not have some sort of weather resistant 16 amp mcb or fuse built into it, then it's technically dangerous.

Also the principle of using a BA post's 32 amp outlet for a domestic hookup could deny an electrically powered boat the ability to use those very rare sockets to an essential recharge.

Having said that, I've never actually seen an electric powered craft using one to recharge either. The precarious availability of being able to recharge whilst cruising away from base is undoubtedly one of the reasons they've never become popular.

As for the 16 amp splitter, "kind of ok" is indeed a pretty good way to put it ! :)

Technically safe, because all of the connected leads and plugs can safely handle 16 amps, so the 16 amp breaker in the post will protect whatever assortment of cables is attached, even though it is more likely to keep tripping because of the increased demand from more than one boat.

I do remember though about someone saying previously on forums that BA staff have been known to unplug any such arrangements if they see them.

Strowy,

Please remember it may say 16amp, that is its Maximum load, that does not mean to say you will get that total amperage. More than likely a bit less allowing for voltage drop on flexible cables.

cheers Iain.

This is what I've used on Ranworth Breeze in the past.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161157218880?nav=SEARCH

It's good to share !!!!

Other boats have never had a problem as I top up the post with a elec card too.

If a full electric boat was to a moor up. I would be more than happy for them to have priority.

Sorry Rob, but that particular design is electrically dangerous, and in my opinion it would fail any official standards test.

The seller has included a photo of the internal connections of the 32 amp plug, and it clearly shows that the two 16 amp tails are simply combined onto the 32 amp connections, with no sign of a fuse or mcb.

This means that either of the two 16 amp connections can draw 32 amps before the post breaker will blow.

So the 16 amp connection leads to each boat could draw a sustained load of nearly 32 amps, way above their rated 16 amps.

post-195-0-38504700-1425207818_thumb.jpg

Strowy,

Please remember it may say 16amp, that is its Maximum load, that does not mean to say you will get that total amperage. More than likely a bit less allowing for voltage drop on flexible cables.

I'm not sure I understand the point that you're making there Iain ?

Or do you mean "Amber Emblem"?.

Either way, i think you`ll find the 240v system is the inverter type, and not really man enough for using household appliances.

Usualy, these systems are for low wattage things like tvs and phone / camera chargers.

I checked when I booked and was told the boat has shore power to plug sockets.

I only want the shore power to top up the batteries if we use the heater a lot over Easter and to charge phones etc. I also have my own inverter as well.

I'm sure it will be fine.