Wherries

Liz - I think you might be right. I was a bit suspicious of Reedham because of the position of the bridge but looking at the photo before it was flipped and your map shows the river bending sharply, as indicated. That house may not be the station as just before the station there are some cottages -  perhaps its them.

Those dykes also help in that the farthest dyke looks quite large - the map shows it going to the brick works.

Vaughans idea of a tall signal also makes sense as they would have not had signal repeaters then and with that being a sharpish bend in the track beyond the picture, that then would have been easy to see a much taller signal. The tall pole by the bridge could have been some indication perhaps to river users. 

Come on Canarytops - you must be following this!!!!!!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Regulo said:

I think this is exactly where it says it is - approaching the junction of the Cut from Yarmouth on the Yare. The white vessel directly ahead of the wherry seems to be across the mouth of the cut.1562704223_Screenshot(30).thumb.jpg.8c274a89e04ae891a3f54eee8f16fe86.jpg

Sorry I struggle with your suggestion because although the railway is in the distance, there are no buildings or trees on the far left of the view (viewing picture 1 before reversal).  After posting I did see that it was probably the station cottage rather than the station that was visible.

I love the mountains in the background - amazing angle

Liz

• Like 1

On 28/01/2021 at 19:59, marshman said:

Liz - I think you might be right. I was a bit suspicious of Reedham because of the position of the bridge but looking at the photo before it was flipped and your map shows the river bending sharply, as indicated. That house may not be the station as just before the station there are some cottages -  perhaps its them.

Those dykes also help in that the farthest dyke looks quite large - the map shows it going to the brick works.

Vaughans idea of a tall signal also makes sense as they would have not had signal repeaters then and with that being a sharpish bend in the track beyond the picture, that then would have been easy to see a much taller signal. The tall pole by the bridge could have been some indication perhaps to river users. 

Come on Canarytops - you must be following this!!!!!!!

Indeed I am following this (!) and fascinating stuff it is !

I've just realised (!) I have a slightly different version of this image which shows a bit more of the rhs and indeed it looks like a signal box. The buildings behind remain a mystery as I don't see anything on old OS maps, and whichever location is viewed none seem to fit the locations of the signal posts (from OS maps). I remain puzzled ;-)

2021-02-01_124818.jpg

1 hour ago, Canarytops said:

The buildings behind remain a mystery as I don't see anything on old OS maps, and whichever location is viewed none seem to fit the locations of the signal posts (from OS maps). I remain puzzled ;-)

2021-02-01_124818.jpg

There is a rectangular shape just beyond the railway line on the upside down map which would indicate a  building but what - who knows! No footpaths leading to it either as I assume the signal man, walked to the bridge from the station.  Unless it was something to do with the construction of the bridge and then taken down?

The modern satellite image shows there could have been something there.  What we don't know from the image is whether this is the old or new swing bridge and if the old one, the track may have been realigned like it was at Aldeby

58 minutes ago, LizG said:

There is a rectangular shape just beyond the railway line on the upside down map which would indicate a  building but what - who knows! No footpaths leading to it either as I assume the signal man, walked to the bridge from the station.  Unless it was something to do with the construction of the bridge and then taken down?

The modern satellite image shows there could have been something there.  What we don't know from the image is whether this is the old or new swing bridge and if the old one, the track may have been realigned like it was at Aldeby

Just realised I didn't attach the map - I found another one from around the same time which shows a bit more details (1884).  It crossed my mind that they might have been railwaymen's cottages.  I found some census records which gave the addresses of 5 or 6 cottages but not the location.  I think the signal posts are in about the right position?

somerleyton 1884.JPG

somerleyton 1884a.JPG

15 minutes ago, LizG said:

Just realised I didn't attach the map - I found another one from around the same time which shows a bit more details (1884).  It crossed my mind that they might have been railwaymen's cottages.  I found some census records which gave the addresses of 5 or 6 cottages but not the location.  I think the signal posts are in about the right position?

somerleyton 1884.JPG

somerleyton 1884a.JPG

Just found Station Cottages on google streetview so that theory gone!

1 hour ago, LizG said:

Just found Station Cottages on google streetview so that theory gone!

What initially caused me to post was that I couldn't match the railway infra to Reedham, I think the general feedback agrees. I guess this is still my main confusion and it may be a lack of railway knowledge but my understanding of the signal group "A" is that facing signals would have track between them (ie the wherry is "pointing" along the track between signals at "A"). If (?) that were the case I would have thought there would need to be a junction to the left of "A" with that track and the route shown "B-C" or a very tight curve between signal "B" and "A". If the latter were the case why would signal group "A" even need to exist ?

Neither the tight curve or junction exist at Somerleyton.

My whole query is based on the above "railway reasoning" so if that's wrong I'll "go quietly" ;-)

2021-02-01_165828.jpg

4 minutes ago, Canarytops said:

2021-02-01_165828.jpg

I don't know the actual signal layout at Somerleyton but it was a double track line, so the signals C and D will be the home signals on either side of the signal box (block post) on the bridge.

A and B would have to do with the station behind trees at left and A is a bracket signal perhaps for a goods siding at the station. B could also be  a distant signal for the next section towards the east.

A station does not necessarily have its own block section. The bridge box would be the block post in this case.

Just guessing!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

haddiscoe had a branch in the line where one leg split and crossed the river, the other heading round to reedham.

Haddiscoe had two lines, one at low level still exists, between Reedham and Lowestoft.  The other went over the swing bridge from Beccles, with a second, high level station and a signal box (still there) beside the bridge.  These are not visible in the photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...