Rubbing Strake on Bounty 34 cc

Greetings all, from a newbie from Merseyside

The lowest GRP rubbing strake  (close to the waterline) on my boat, a Bounty 34 cc has a large section missing which you can see from the attached file has at some point been replaced by a rubber section.I intend to fabricate a new piece in wood to match the original and protect with a new band also.

I need to know the profile of the original GRP section, The boat is based in France and I forgot to measure it when I was last there, but hope to complete the repair when returning in May along with a million other jobs!  

Could a Bounty owner with easy access to their boat measure this please and reply.

As you can see I am not Broads based but enjoy NBN and the interesting items, and would welcome a chat with other Bounty owners as I have a lot to learn,

Regards, DaveT 

post-32971-0-56536200-1427575034_thumb.j

Hello David and Iain and Alan

Thanks for the welcome. 

I am intending replacing about 4xmeters , but need to have the profile or cross section measurements taken about midships so I can have them cut   .( See attached files)

Ideally I would replace with original grp section but the chances of finding that after nearly 30 years is not very likely! 

Regards Dave  

boat side.pdf

Measurements.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings All

Well in my quest for sizes of the rubbing strake on my Bounty 34 I set off for eastern lands on Thursday to seek enlightenment personally. Thanks to Andy at Freedom Boats in Thorpe St Andrew for his brilliant advice and technical help, and Paul at Swancraft in Brundall, again a mine of information on Bounty boats but what is truly amazing is that he had an original section of the rubbing strake, and some of the galvanised bar! Thanks gents, most sincerely.

Had a great time over the weekend visiting various boatyards and marinas, was staggered by the scale of operations at Richardsons at Stallham, but spotted Dominica   a Bounty 34 , I would really like to get in touch with her owners, can anyone help me  with this introduction.

• Like 5

Dave,

Like Alan (Jaws Orca) I would like to do the French canals as well at some point.

I thought you had to have a CEVNI licence though to use the European waterways, but after watching one of the recent canal trip progs with Prunella Scales I am not sure now as they never mentioned needed this in France. And very much doubt husband Tim has a licence given his love of bashing stuff out of the way! :norty:

Can you advise if this is needed? I know it is for sure in Holland and maybe Germany, but that may only be on routes used by commercial vessels. France looks much nicer and has nice food and wine cheers

Glad you had luck with your parts and it is amazing how the boatyards are happy to help the private owners on the Broads and even you interlopers :wave

• Like 1

leave a note on Dominica, they are regular visitors, she is one of only 2 centre cockpits (so I am told) the other was our San Valentino (X755)

Is X755 yours, was I told wrong or did I dream it?!

If you post me a letter with the note in I will put it on the boat for you..

• Like 1

Many thanks for the responses.You do not need a CEVNI to hire a boat on the French canals but as the owner/skipper it is needed!

Thanks Clive for your offer to post a letter to the owners of Dominica I will make contact when I get back to the UK as I am in transit at the moment.I have seen the pictures of San Valentino which looks brilliant,but is not mine.

My boat is currently having a major refit in St Jean de Losne but I intend to do as much of the work as I can myself,business permitting

Regards

Dave

Edited by DaveT