Early Engine start !

alexandlorna

Hi

Thanks to the two Alans for their welcome, I do tend to browse more than I write..

On a slightly different note, I seem to remember that in the late 80s or early nineties one of the small yards in Horning (maybe Colin Facy or Percivals) were hiring small electric aft cockpit cruisers, not sure if they had to go back to the yard every night to re-charge but I don't think they had any i/c engines and recall that they were banned from cruising below Thurne Mouth or Acle.  Anyway they didn't seem to last many seasons but were probably the precursor to the modern electric day boats which seem to work very well.

The only way that I can see large all electric cruisers being really viable is if the number of electric posts are increased considerably.  I do not really understand why two electric posts were installed at Dilham which the larger boats cannot reach and at Instead they only put a single post on the outer (more dangerous) mooring.

Hello Bryan,

There are more electric post being added to locations on the Southern Rivers, at Brammerton two additional posts each having 2 x 16 amp sockets and one 32 amp sockets. There are additional posts at Reedham and at the Loddon Staithe.

I am not aware if any new posts have been added on the Northern Rivers, maybe other forum members could let us know?

I know Herbert Woods operated a number of electric day boat (these were for sale a couple of years ago).

To be honest unless the hulls of electric boats were made from aluminium I doubt that they would be successful.

Regards

Alan

My thoughts are that in a lot of cases, particularly with people who are new to boating, they are not aware of the noise that others can hear.

The thing that I do find annoying is when someone moors close to other boats and thinks that everyone wants to hear their choice in "music" played at full blast.

I always feel pleased I do not live next door to them.

They obviously don't realise how much sound travels over water. Most of us have probably been guilty of this at some time in the past but eventually learn to consider others.

Jeff

Our boat Star Gem 6 from Richardson's had a 240 volt inverter fitted, but there was no shore cable provided, to hook up to shore power if we needed to. Not that we did need to, but I thought that one would be provided, so at least you had the choice.

Why would Clive do that ? You wouldn't use so much diesel then, would you ?  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

All good advice and information but please tell me what to do about my noisy neighbour whos got a diy habit/fetish to which he can spend all day saturdays and sundays banging and clatering in his shed, Ive been praying for a sinkhole under his shed while hes at work but so far no luck

The problem with the Herbert Woods electric day boats was they wouldn`t  allow them above Potter as they didn't have enough power to cope with any weed and if going against any sort of current max speed was almost dead stop, they had forward or reverse no graduation of power.

Fred

• Like 1

Why don't we have lagged hot water tanks . They should last the night so no need to run the engine so early

Andy many actually are lagged in insulating foam and our new one is often still very warm in the morning

I could not have said that of the old one , it was too small and poorly insulated

• Like 1

Andy many actually are lagged in insulating foam and our new one is often still very warm in the morning

I could not have said that of the old one , it was too small and poorly insulated

My one is the old type no lagging looks like I'm going to get a new one . But I would not run my engine that early
  • Like 2

Hi Andy,

Our hot water tank is like Alex And Lorna's post, if you are going to buy a new one I would get the best insulated one you can afford, our water stays hot until morning if we have had a good run or had the immersion heater on if hooked up with shore power.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

On all the hire boats we have had, bearing in mind that we shower in the evening and generally finish cruising about lunch time, the water has still been slightly warm the following morning.  We generally do about 4 hours cruising at a slow pace in the morning.

I find that not washing/showering when on holiday a welcome break from the norm.

Usually towards the end of the fortnight the moorings tend to become much less crowded and often I am the only one there. Also the mozzies much less troublesome.

• Like 2