Booked for the South - i blame you lot!

lampini

Last night we booked Song of Freedom for the second week of September - how i will contain my excitement until then i just don't know! 

I've fancied exploring the south side for a while now, and you lot have, frankly, done a rubbish job of putting me off - especially JawsOrca and his lovely vids!  :nosey: Also i totally blame the London Rascal for making me fall in love with the boat!

So now the die is cast, i'd love to hear from you lot what your favorite southern bits are, and any hints and tips.. Of course the obvious one being not to attempt the Thorpe bridges at high tide - Ahem!  :River Police

Thanks All! :party:

• Like 7

Lol whoops.. Although its soo lovely down here... we really really enjoyed our 5 day trip the other week.. in all honesty I think that's the longest continuous trip I've spent down here and there's still places I didn't stop which I wanted too!.

You have to stop off at the windmill by Cantley.. they restored it and when the sails are turning its very magical and an interesting stop! All of the pubs are brilliant too so make sure you stop off and enjoy them! Rockland and Loddon are well worth taking the time out and seeing.

Enjoy your trip!

cheers

• Like 4

Notice I said nothing  :shocked... 

Ah well yes.. if you'd all a kept yer traps shut there'd be two less waving grinning singing muppets pootling abaht dahn sarf come September....

Only yourselves to blame!  :kiss

ETA.. We do sing - terribly! Our duet version of "Goin to Jackson" sung loud enough to drown out the BMC 1.5 is going to be legendary...

• Like 2

really would like to get down there - would we make the bridge at 7'3" at low tide?  :hiding:   Maybe just take a walk!

No no chance... aint that right matt? Ignore Jonzo... 

Yes i've got my parents boat through and that's 8.3.. Although you will still probably need a low tide to get through so it's probably an overnight trip. and check with the harbour master at beccles before going through just in case you can get back.. i.e the water levels are normal as it can flood down there with a bit of rain. It's a lovely stretch though and I'm sure you will love the pub.. 

• Like 2

No no chance... aint that right matt? Ignore Jonzo... 

Yes i've got my parents boat through and that's 8.3.. Although you will still probably need a low tide to get through so it's probably an overnight trip. and check with the harbour master at beccles before going through just in case you can get back.. i.e the water levels are normal as it can flood down there with a bit of rain. It's a lovely stretch though and I'm sure you will love the pub.. 

Will follow all advice - thanks! Am now even more exited than ever - pity the OH! 

More vids plz Mr Orca - just got a weather warning from the met office - it's gonna blow up a hoolie round where you are this afternoon - should be fun!  :gracie:

• Like 2

really would like to get down there - would we make the bridge at 7'3" at low tide?  :hiding:   Maybe just take a walk!

Not sure about the height but there is a ferry that runs (i think times and tickets are available from the information centre.)

I agree with Alan about Hardley Mill, its stunning when its turning. And the pontoon moorings are good for a look round when its open (sadly it was closed when we called)

Brammerton And Rockland are worth a visit.

Loddon is great with some nice walks over the other side of the bridge from Chedgrave

We also like to stop at Burgh Castle, again there's some nice walks down to Breydon with loads of wildlife to see and some great sunsets.

You won't be disappointed

I'll probably be in trouble again now for telling lies about this awful part of the Broads, it's much better on the Northern side

• Like 4

Will follow all advice - thanks! Am now even more exited than ever - pity the OH! 

More vids plz Mr Orca - just got a weather warning from the met office - it's gonna blow up a hoolie round where you are this afternoon - should be fun!  :gracie:

There will be more coming up don't worry.. they are getting a fair few views on youtube surprisingly :)

Last nights tide was a bit rough and the next one is coming in and it's windy so seasickness time for me lol cheers

• Like 2

Jane, a word of advice, please don't sing too loudly or you'll start Alex (Alexandlorna off again) lol. Seriously, contrary to popular belief it is beautiful down South, as has been said by David (deebee) Bramerton and Rockland stunning and the River Chet is beautiful, although a bit narrow in parts, don't worry if I can navigate it, anyone can  ;)

Grace

• Like 3

Thanks Gracie - think we'll leave the singing for the more remote parts! Jon is taking Fanny (his guitar guys, almost another woman - not quite!) so Cash and Bowie covers should abound!

There will be more coming up don't worry.. they are getting a fair few views on youtube surprisingly :)

Last nights tide was a bit rough and the next one is coming in and it's windy so seasickness time for me lol cheers

That's good to know - Is that your spiky mohican which makes a brief appearance in one vid? About twenty-something years ago mine was spikier and more purple!

The seasickness thing is weird - i get it really badly - unless i'm driving the boat! In which case it's "woo-hoo, bring it on!"

• Like 2

Hi Ali,

Well done in booking a boat class I hired many times from Astons. You will find it very easy to handle and a nice cosey saloon. You will find it reverses well too. Have a great week. Oh and you can get down to Geldeston no trouble at all at low water, loads of room. 

We will expect a full blog and pictures too! Happy times ahead for you! :wave

cheers Iain

Hi Ali,

Well done in booking a boat class I hired many times from Astons. You will find it very easy to handle and a nice cosey saloon. You will find it reverses well too. Have a great week. Oh and you can get down to Geldeston no trouble at all at low water, loads of room. 

We will expect a full blog and pictures too! Happy times ahead for you! :wave

cheers Iain

Have heard it handles well.. I really wanted to hire a "proper" boat this time, and something more suited to the south with a bit more height to it. The OH loves to cook (lucky me!) and the galley looks splendid! He's also a bit on the tall side so i recon i can squeeze him into the made up double in the bows!

The first time we hired, i was pretty scared of driving - but by the end of that week i realised that i love driving boats! Went across Breydon the first time all white-nuckled, it was dead calm.. On the way back it was a bit rougher - waves breaking over the bow of our little Hampton Safari - blimmin' LOVED it - cackling and yee-har-ing all the way (apparently!)

post-29926-0-47242100-1433246400_thumb.j

• Like 1

Difficult to know where to start! Maybe a pootle into Norwich if to see the City by river - old and new together - good basin to turn round outside the Nelson if you don't want to stop. . Surlingham Broad has got to be one of the most glorious places on the Broads - drop in a mudweight & let the world pass you by! Agree re Rockland, take a walk to Langley Abbey from the excellent moorings in Langley dyke. Loddon is worth a trip - lovely place and the winding River Chet makes a great trip there. St Olaves good with one if not the oldest pub on the Broads - The Bell Inn - tides can be a bit fast through there. Somerleyton is also lovely and it's a nice walk to the Hall. Oulton Broad is fab as is Beccles. Berney Arms also good if you like walking - you can walk round Breydon Water and then get the train back from Great Yarmouth. Tides also fast at Berney Arms. Enjoy wherever you decide to go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

That's good to know - Is that your spiky mohican which makes a brief appearance in one vid? About twenty-something years ago mine was spikier and more purple!

The seasickness thing is weird - i get it really badly - unless i'm driving the boat! In which case it's "woo-hoo, bring it on!"

:) The mohawk is 2nd mate Dave.. You wont really see me on any pictures as I don't like people take pictures of me lol... His haircut is quite well known in norfolk as he's had it for quite some times...We've met a few people on the broads who say "they've recognised the haircut lol".. he also gets lots of random people talk to him lol He has coloured it before no doubt he will do it again! 

cheers

• Like 1

Here is a link to the Freedom website page showing Song of Freedom for those who do not know the boat:- 

http://www.freedomboatingholidays.co.uk/boat-songoffreedom.php?BoatID=9

If you have booked early September (from 1st September)we are on Ranworth Breeze then

Regards

Alan

Or you can have a proper butchers here;

We're there from 5th to the 12th.. Maybe run into you - not literally! 

Difficult to know where to start! Maybe a pootle into Norwich if to see the City by river - old and new together - good basin to turn round outside the Nelson if you don't want to stop. . Surlingham Broad has got to be one of the most glorious places on the Broads - drop in a mudweight & let the world pass you by! Agree re Rockland, take a walk to Langley Abbey from the excellent moorings in Langley dyke. Loddon is worth a trip - lovely place and the winding River Chet makes a great trip there. St Olaves good with one if not the oldest pub on the Broads - The Bell Inn - tides can be a bit fast through there. Somerleyton is also lovely and it's a nice walk to the Hall. Oulton Broad is fab as is Beccles. Berney Arms also good if you like walking - you can walk round Breydon Water and then get the train back from Great Yarmouth. Tides also fast at Berney Arms. Enjoy wherever you decide to go!

We LOVE walking - copious notes taken - thanks!

:) The mohawk is 2nd mate Dave.. You wont really see me on any pictures as I don't like people take pictures of me lol... His haircut is quite well known in norfolk as he's had it for quite some times...We've met a few people on the broads who say "they've recognised the haircut lol".. he also gets lots of random people talk to him lol He has coloured it before no doubt he will do it again! 

cheers

:clap

Ah you youngsters have it all - we could only get food-dye (or Directions if you were feeling rich) in my day. It was only purple as that was the colour wot faded the least!  :ph34r:

• Like 1

really would like to get down there - would we make the bridge at 7'3" at low tide? :hiding: Maybe just take a walk!

You might well fit under the bridge but it is likely that you will ground and get stuck so really best not try it. Honest...............

If you like big houses, then Somerleyton Hall is worth a visit indeed. The gardens are kept in superb condition, or were when we visited many years ago. Its a bit of a treck from the river, but IMO well worth it.

Do look at the tide tables they can help you a lot on the Southern rivers. 

cheers Iain

I’m sorry when I hired Song of Freedom I had a bad throat infection and I was not on ‘form’ with the Blog or Review.

Song of Freedom is a very nice well laid out boat that has a warm and cosy feel about her – if it is chilly the heating is excellent, if it is warm there is plenty of ventilation not to mention the sliding wheelhouse canopy. Light as a feather steering, but she won’t wander too much and easy to moor (watch out for lower quay headings because the freeboard is higher than some boats).

As for where to go, I am not sure how long you’ve hired her for or how much ‘at the wheel’ time you plan to spend – I found Norwich – the cathedral amazing, and indeed the area around there for shops and eateries.  The run into Norwich on the river is very nice too and ‘just down the road’ from Freedom’s yard – so you might like to pop into Norwich first and then work back from there along the Yare over the proceeding days.

Bremerton Common is very peaceful, Loddon is small but has all you need from the little stores to a few pubs, Reedham I like to stop at off because it is a very serene place on such a wide and often fast flowing stretch of river and handy to stop while you wait for the tide to be in your favour.

I’m not so taken by Oulton Broad personally, preferring to give it a miss and head down the beautiful Waveney which just keeps getting better the further towards Beccles you go – certainly you will be ok to get under the old bridge there and well worth the walk into the town.  There are many gems to be found as you will find along the way.

The only ‘issue’ with the southern rivers compared to the northern ones are the lack of informal (wild) moorings and the fact the rise and fall of the tide means at some points your be helped along by the current and others be going against it.  Of course you can refer to tide tables and work out what the current will be doing at a given place and time but again, it is not quite the same as the likes of the Ant or Thurne where that is not really a consideration.

• Like 1

Greetings from sunny Deptford!

As for where to go, I am not sure how long you’ve hired her for or how much ‘at the wheel’ time you plan to spend – I found Norwich – the cathedral amazing, and indeed the area around there for shops and eateries.  The run into Norwich on the river is very nice too and ‘just down the road’ from Freedom’s yard – so you might like to pop into Norwich first and then work back from there along the Yare over the proceeding days.

Spooky.. that's pretty much our idea! Probably a fair amout of time cruising; may even "pop" across breydon and back, not even going into the bure, just for the hell of it - i guess dead on slack tide would be the best time to do this.. 

The idea of having to suss out the tides is, for me, just adding to the fun! (or maybe i've just been watching too much Dylan Winter (keepturningleft.co.uk)!

I agree with the lack of "wild" moorings down south.. we used most of yours up north over our last two visits, Robin! Thanks! Is the lack of these down south due to the larger tidal influence and range down there d'you think? Maybe someone knows of some..  :ph34r:

We will be mudweighting for a night at Surlingham hopefully tho.. 

Don't worry 'bout the throat - you certainly "sold" it to us! :wub:

Hope your'e feeling better now from your last bout of ill health?

xx

Jane & Jon

My advice would be to turn out of freedom heading down the Yare towards Reedham. Keep going, past Polkeys mill and Berney arms, cross Breydon and turn left at the yellow post.

This way you won't have to put up with the 'dullness' of the south side and you'll have a fabulous time up north.

PS. forget Geldeston, nothing there, not worth wasting fuel. Honest Guv ;)

cheers

• Like 5