Booked for the South - i blame you lot!

lampini

and so it begins. I knew this would happen, I warned you! Now look, Loddon Staithe will soon be the new Ranworth (but with decent pubs, oooher - a bit controversial there!). We'll all have to be moored up by two o'clock or mud weight in the basin! There'll be pirates galore, Idiots cruisng though Beccles flat out, Kiss Me Quick hat's for sale in every riverside shop and even dayboats with sixteen occupants playing dodgems on Oulton Broad.

Time to arm the Brundall Navy me thinks, bring them to full readiness and place them on a war footing!

two guns two guns two guns two guns

• Like 7

Paul,

I could say a lot more about those pubs in Loddon, I have had many a guid night and day in them all, even ones know longer there!

Its part of your holiday excercise to go to Loddon and Beccles, both places have "hills" to climb, the Loddon hill, purely to get Mobile Reception! :naughty:

I had many happy years starting and ending my holidays at the Aston's yard in Loddon. Its good that the local traders get a wee turn there.

cheers Iain

Go north, the south is horrible! Honest! Thats why I couldn't wait to get back down past yarmouth last week after 3 days oop norf during half term week...

I will echo the bit about hardly mill, go when it's open and you will get a great full tour from the guy that knows it inside out and the view from the top.

• Like 2

I seem to have come to this party very late!

Firstly, many thanks for choosing Song and Freedom.

Song is the only surviving Aston boat of her class in hire and she's one of my favourites in the fleet. A bit angular externally, she is more of a boat lookling boat than many. Inside, she's cosy and very easy to live with.

Handling wise, Song is one of the easiest boats to pilot. She will turn in about 1 1/2 times her own length and whilst she won't steer in reverse over short distances, she is very easy to put where you want if you follow the simple rules that we'll show you in the handover (this will take 45 minutes, minimum).

The photos of Song on the web site are a bit out of date (a more recent one is attached). She now has a white hull but the internals are the same.

post-141-0-23801600-1433269568_thumb.jpg

I've fancied exploring the south side for a while now, and you lot have, frankly, done a rubbish job of putting me off - especially JawsOrca and his lovely vids!  

Andy I'll PM you about my commission ;):naughty: lol

• Like 2

I seem to have come to this party very late!

Firstly, many thanks for choosing Song and Freedom.

Song is the only surviving Aston boat of her class in hire and she's one of my favourites in the fleet. A bit angular externally, she is more of a boat lookling boat than many. Inside, she's cosy and very easy to live with.

Handling wise, Song is one of the easiest boats to pilot. She will turn in about 1 1/2 times her own length and whilst she won't steer in reverse over short distances, she is very easy to put where you want if you follow the simple rules that we'll show you in the handover (this will take 45 minutes, minimum).

The photos of Song on the web site are a bit out of date (a more recent one is attached). She now has a white hull but the internals are the same.

She looks lovely Andy - truly can't wait!

ETA - that wedged boat gone from round the corner yet?!?

x

Jane & Jon

• Like 1

If you want a bit of wild - try the dyke going into rockland broad.

You will need Rhond anchors or pins but on the right night it can be magic.

In sept it shouldn't be too busy either and a short walk to either the new inn or beauchamp arms.

Oh sorry no it's horrible and nasty here. You will ground out and be robbed in your sleep as well.

And there be dragons!

There are also moorings just up river from the mouth of the Chet and up river from beauchamp arms that I have never seen busy. The former is a long walk to civilisation.

• Like 3

Greetings from sunny Deptford!

Spooky.. that's pretty much our idea! Probably a fair amout of time cruising; may even "pop" across breydon and back, not even going into the bure, just for the hell of it - i guess dead on slack tide would be the best time to do this..

The idea of having to suss out the tides is, for me, just adding to the fun! (or maybe i've just been watching too much Dylan Winter (keepturningleft.co.uk)!

I agree with the lack of "wild" moorings down south.. we used most of yours up north over our last two visits, Robin! Thanks! Is the lack of these down south due to the larger tidal influence and range down there d'you think? Maybe someone knows of some.. :ph34r:

We will be mudweighting for a night at Surlingham hopefully tho..

Don't worry 'bout the throat - you certainly "sold" it to us! :wub:

Hope your'e feeling better now from your last bout of ill health?

xx

Jane & Jon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Around 17 wild moorings on the southern rivers ie not next to a pub etc. including some real gems. One of most recent faves is Hardley Cross! Some of them are definitely more tidal but you can still sit for an Eve and watch the wildlife including the odd seal! Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Jane, a word of advice, please don't sing too loudly or you'll start Alex (Alexandlorna off again) lol. Seriously, contrary to popular belief it is beautiful down South, as has been said by David (deebee) Bramerton and Rockland stunning and the River Chet is beautiful, although a bit narrow in parts, don't worry if I can navigate it, anyone can  ;)

Grace

Do not listen to Gracie, just add wine and sing!

We are also good singers and will join in!

It's only idiots Imoan about ,wine and fun is cool!

• Like 3

:wub:  :wub:

Wow; am rather overwhelmed at the lovely responses from you forumites; what a great bunch you all are! 

We were not even sure if we were going to be able to have a holiday at all this year due to work/health issues.. but in the end we said sod it - we'll go loopy if we don't! So glad i posted this...

And should any of you fine folk be around 5-12th Sept in the south and see us moored up or pootling about on Song of Freedom, give us a toot and say hi! (we may well have cake!)

:wub:  :wub:

• Like 5

Mmmm a nice big slice of cake, washed down with a mug of Cafetiere Coffee.  :clap Columbian of course.

cheers Iain

NOW you're talking Iain - at home i grind my own beanz - such is my addiction.. That and proper beer of course..!

cheers!

J

• Like 1

I hadn't made the connection initally (probably 'cos I didn't read it properly). I exclaimed to Nicky when I saw your booking come though that I know your area well, Jon. Or at least knew it some years ago. 

Friends still live close to the bottom of your road. Small world.

• Like 1

I hadn't made the connection initally (probably 'cos I didn't read it properly). I exclaimed to Nicky when I saw your booking come though that I know your area well, Jon. Or at least knew it some years ago. 

Friends still live close to the bottom of your road. Small world.

It is indeed a small world - i once met someone from Friendly St when i was working on a gig in Istanbul!! 

Mind you - our street hasn't changed much but you probably wouldn't recognise the surrounding area...

Haven't been around there much in the last decade, Jon; but moons ago, the FE eatablishment up the hill was called SELTEC where I spent two years studying computer science; scoffing chips and burgers and playing pool in the cafe across the road and jumping on and off the number 36 bus to get home.

I know a lot has changed around there and I don't miss it one bit!

Look forward to meeting you in September.