On the return. An early holiday

Cheesey

Hi.

So this was the year we decided to return to the Broads after an 11 year break.

It was going to be an early visit, the second week of the season and we was going to use Ricardsons from Stalham and it was an interesting experience in regards on the changes over the years to the Broads.

The service from the boatyard was top class, the boat fresh and clean, the show around professional and even the new manual was top class.

It was then we noticed the slip of paper advising most strongly against crossing to the south and when questioned the boatyard bod said that in the event of a breakdown, help would be a long time coming.

Great Yarmouth Yacht and Norwich Yacht station was closed with no mooring and also Reedham was open to mooring but with no assistance.

North it is then.

Enjoying the freedom of not having to fight for moorings or water.

Not enjoying Ludham Bridge stores closed and Acle Bridge stores also closed. Along with the attached toilets.

Wroxham was a joke.

In the manual it states that a pilot must be used to get under the bridge.

We rung and rung. No answer.

Couldn’t moor as there where no spaces at all. Anywhere. Loads the other side of the bridge.

Rang the boatyard to be told that the pilot service was not on yet and no, don’t take the boat through.

The style of boat we had was a sliding roof version and I can tell you that the lack of effective draft proofing easily beat the warm air heating provided.

But how wonderful the Broads? Untouchable.

None of the above ruined the holiday but none of the above where mentioned in the brochure either.

With the disappearing moorings and rental boatyards and high rental costs the Broads are beginning to feel elite and stand offish.

• Like 2

Hi Cheesey

A very warm welcome aboard this lovely Forum  :wave

I am sorry your experience after 11 years was marred by the closure of certain places and the draughty Boat. I think there is a draft issue with most of these type of boats, we have hired many over the years and found this to be the case, we mostly hire in school holidays so never experienced any closures or no Pilot, I do hope it didn't spoil your holiday too much.

I hope it hasn't put you off of hiring again either, we would like to hire very early or late in the season eventually, although I understand your frustration it wouldn't put us off, as long as we are afloat and the Boat doesn't sink, happy days lol

Grace

p.s What Boat did you hire?

• Like 1

Hi Cheesey,

Welcome aboard the NBN friendly Forum  :wave  As others have said, I am sorry to read you had a few wee niggling problems. Any boat with a sliding roof, will allow the draughts in although if you can moor into the wind it can sometimes help. 

I hope you return again in the near future, and have a better experience too. I would not say IMHO its elitist just a few less public moorings than there use to be.(Boatyards moorings are available during the season) As for not being allowed to take the boat through Wroxham Bridge I know how I felt, having taken over 80 boats through over forty years, I feel I am being told am not up to the job, perhaps you felt the same?

In truth, after so many accidents by some hirers, and the high insurance costs I would think that was the reason to stop us doing it ourselves. Still sticks in my craw as they say.

I do hope you are back on the Broads soon. :)

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Cheesey, Hi and "Welcome Aboard".

Our boat, I guess, is similar to the one you hired and we have effectively wind-proofed it with half a dozen rolled bar-towels. They are very easy to take out when you do want to open either side of the roof and they are totally effective!

I know that this doesn't help retrospectively but for future trips it might.   :wave

• Like 1

Hi Cheesy, Welcome to the forum!

Glad to read that you made a come back visit. I was similar, I had a sailing boat away from the broads and returned to the broads a couple of years back after some years away.. Naturally I noticed differences.

Can I inquire what time you visited? I understand the yacht stations are closed out of season but all should be open now. The draught issue may sadly be intentional as to allow for ventilation. 

I think your review is however very constructive. The northern broads are known for being very busy and sadly as you say the reduction of hire yards certainly around Wroxham does cause problems for overnight moorings. Sadly as we have our boat, Wroxham is really a no go area for us :( But to be fair and honest (and with respect to yourself) I'm not quite sure this has changed dramatically in recent years as I always remember the busier bits being busy.  Also for me I then to stay away from the larger parts or if I visit I stop via the pub and refuel! For me a trip to the broads is to get as far away from people and population as possible, although I do understand people want to visit the busier areas but again this is possible but it may take some planing (and calling the pubs to book a mooring spot!).

The southern broads in comparison to the north are very quiet (And in recent years have largely got even quieter) and in my opinion much prettier, you feel closer to nature and much more relaxed.  Again if you visited out of season I understand Richardsons (and others) advise against a passage south for a number of reasons.

Also although the hire fleet is going up market and some pubs are suffering with "chip basket syndrome" (Chips being served in mock chip baskets instead of on the plate) as Robin pointed out, there are some exceptional deals to be had even with the same yards offering these state of the lightships! and there still are tranquil parts to explore.

Hopefully you can make it back and possibly considering coming south next time :)

@Clive, Whilst it's really kind of you to keep all the boats up north away from us southerns.. It really is :)  Could you perhaps consider rewording that notice, I think adding a paragraph.. "Whilst we encourage you to stay north for logistical reasons.  Please be aware that staying north will mean you will miss out of the peace, and tranquility of the magical southern broads.  A place full of charming pubs.. etc etc).."

The southern business's really do need the business, you know use it or lose it (Although last week it felt like the north! and I've not seen it that busy for years! - So perhaps do 50% for now lol), which will probably make the north even more congested over time.  

(Geez I'm starting to sound like a tourist agent..)

• Like 4

Thank you all for warm welcome.

In no way did it ruin holiday, nothing can for this wonderful place.

Anyway, it was fun cuddling up to Mrs Cheesey under the duvet!

In fact, we have booked at top class boat again via Richardsons for September. Being built this year.

Good or bad, the idea for a floating holiday on a tight budget and the broads don't spring to mind.

I remember the messing about on the water adverts of the early 80's

For example, a young family I work with was looking for an early break and I almost talked them into a bathtub boat but they knew next to nothing about the Broads and my early season adventure put them off.

So they spent more and hired a cottage in Cornwall.

By upping the public awareness of this place and its potential, making it user friendly, will help all in the long run.

Oh, and in reply, middle March. The problem with Wroxham was the pilots service as we are no longer able to take boat through bridge without pilot, so unable to gewt to those moorings on the other side.

cheesey

Edited by Cheesey
  • Like 5

Alan, will you stop promoting the southern broads ....... PLEASE!!!!!! ;)

Can't help it Steve.. it's just so pretty... (as in the line from the film "Ant's" where the fly flies into the fly killer cause the blue light attracts them).. When the north clears out though we can go there.. it would be nice to see the bright lights one day lol cheers 

• Like 1

Oh, and in reply, middle March. The problem with Wroxham was the pilots service as we are no longer able to take boat through bridge without pilot, so unable to gewt to those moorings on the other side.

cheesey

I believe Norfolk starts to wake up around Easter.. Although it should have been so quiet up there..  Try and come back a bit later next year (After easter is a nice time), everything should be open, perhaps don't go for a sliding roof model :) September should be good though, although still a bit busy but you will get a warm welcome down south. Please do a holiday tale and some pictures next time.. Everyone loves these. cheers

• Like 1

I think the boatyards have a tricky balancing act to play with regard to hiring outside of the main season = there are of course people like you (and me) who like the early or late season boating and the boatyards would prefer they took our money at these times too.

The issue though comes down to the infrastructure once away from base. I believe there should be a pilot service available whenever there are boats for hire – it is not as if there is someone in a little booth that has to be paid for day in and out without trade so I don’t see why an arrangement cannot be made.

I don’t think the Broads are becoming elite – indeed I believe that even the best of the current crop of new build boats could be refined further and people would be happy to hire/pay for such.  There will be many people who are happy with a boat such as Princess that I hired from Richardson’s – basic, affordable with all you need.  There will of course be those who would not go near it because it simply does not fulfil their needs and desires.

Desires is a key point.  I can only imagine how it would have been when fibreglass cruisers began replacing the wooden cruisers. What we now remember with fondness and many help preserve, back in the day wooden boats would have seen by the majority (and booking agencies) as old hat and it was all about the clean bright interiors that the new breed of boats offered. People hiring a Caribbean from Wilds in Horning might not have had in their own home a fitted kitchen – so their desired to spoil themselves on their holiday with the latest ‘bling’ cruiser.

With that in mind many people who holiday on the Broads want to spoil themselves to this day, either as a first visit or someone on a second or third visit who want to ‘push the boat out’ so to speak in terms of quality they seek, there is a market for this and there are boats that cater for it. What is lacking is anything shore side that lives up to the experience.

I feel there is room for more than just riverside pubs, I also feel that residents of Wroxham and Horning for example would not mind having some nice places to frequent just as much as the visiting holiday maker.  For everyone who wants peace and natural surroundings there is one who would want to go out and I feel somewhere like the choice Beccles has is missing on the northern broads.

• Like 2

Hi Robin,

I fully agree with your thoughts regarding Beccles. It has been since our very early years of boating a must visit place. Yes its a town, but IMHO a town with a bit of character. Well we like it so there :P

I also agree with you regarding pilotage through Wroxham Bridge, After all its Faircraft who supply the Pilot ! Its little things like that can make or break a holiday, and as the Boatyards choose to stop us taking boats through, THEY SHOULD supply a better service. It even stops at 5.30pm on a summers day which I think is not very clever. To complete my wee rant £12 is easy money  for a few minutes work!

cheers Iain

• Like 2

Oh Iain.. if they do.. you can take the blame for putting the thought in their heads! Although perhaps we should do it at yarmouth too, although free for southern based boats.. Stop the northerners invading (is that better Steve?!!)

cheers

• Like 1

I remember taking boats through Wroxham Bridge myself when we used to hire from Belaugh Boats although I did chicken out on one occasion when the gauge agreed exactly with the boat's air draught and phoned the yard who came down and took her through.

Hi Iain

I don't recall them being particularly sluggish (Moon Light/Tide), the only problem we ever had was a soaking wardrobe in the after cabin due to the gas locker leaking, they were always well turned out.

Hi Bryan,

I forget which bathtub it was, but the bloke was moored next to us at the Staithe at Wroxham, he said flat out was 1700 revs and everything passed him, including rowing boats lol Probably tongue in cheek, but got his drift.

cheers Iain.

Hi Cheesey, sorry to hear your woes but the early cruisers are a hardy bunch.!

Were you on a short break? as we don't normally discourage people travelling south unless on a shorter break, it

may have been to do with Yarmouth being unmanned.

Glad to hear you are returning, it is a fantastic place to be come rain or shine..

• Like 1

Hi Cheesey, sorry to hear your woes but the early cruisers are a hardy bunch.!

Were you on a short break? as we don't normally discourage people travelling south unless on a shorter break, it

may have been to do with Yarmouth being unmanned.

Glad to hear you are returning, it is a fantastic place to be come rain or shine..

And just booked with you for next year as well. From Acle.

Nope a full week but upon reflection, when you think about it, with GYYS closed it would be a long haul if you get in trouble.

And we have been many times. To be fair, the morning we was going to cross was very foggy.

We bought a fairly large cruiser in the eighties. It stayed out for six months and then we took it to its mooring in Porter  and Haylett. We hadn't realised how close the gap would be between bridge and boat until the first time we went back to the boatyard. Just how close we had been to buying a boat that couldn't get to the yard. One of the many things we have learnt since! (except how to save money).