Broads lover!

OuzoSuzo

Hi, I've been a member on here for a while, but never introduced myself....Been coming boating since I was about 3-4 years old (53 years young now). Initially with parents for many happy holidays, then honeymooned on the broads, then with friends, then children, last two years had grandchild with us aswell. During all this love of the broads my family also had their own boat (not on the broads), and later bought a chalet in Stalham, so when not hiring boats increased our time spent around the Broads, sadly this was sold a few years back. Now we try to get down on a boat twice a year, but sometimes in a cottage. Think like a lot of people, my dream is to move to the broads and have a boat at the bottom of my garden....we live in Sheffield (another Northerner), came down end of May this year, and down again end of August (still having to do school hol weeks). Sue

• Like 4

Welcome Sue

We are even further North.

The drive down is one thing but at least we're heading to the Broads but the drive back at the end of the holiday ...... I'm sure it's double the distance.

Looking forward to reading your posts

Welcome Sue.

We also have that dream of moving to Norfolk but it's that old conundrum - move and hope to find a job or wait until retired! Some days I dream of handing in my notice and moving anyway but it's not reality so we have taken to hiring two boats a year at the moment. I think what everyone says about being bitten by the bug once you arrive on the Broads is so true. Not sure I would want to hire a cottage again now that we've been out on the rivers.

• Like 2

Memories galore!, but every visit seems different, never get bored of it, always have a good tale to tell when I get back home....yes I've done the usual holidays abroad (but don't like flying far). Been to all the corners of UK, even done the Thames twice. But always return to the Broads!

• Like 1

yes I've done the usual holidays abroad (but don't like flying far). 

I've let my passport run out and haven't got around to renewing it. Guess that means I'll just have to keep coming back to the Broads. Going over the Dartford Crossing is the more expensive way out of Essex ... they don't have border controls or charges to get into Suffolk and beyond.  :dance

Hi SwanR, yes there's always an obstacle, main thing for me is moving away from family. As for cottages, we tend to do that if we have had in-laws with us (in their 80's), although only have father inlaw now, so talked him into going with us this May, he's a bit unsteady on his feet,...can't swim!.....had a few hairy moments with slippy decks after rain during the night....but he came home in one piece!

• Like 1

Hi Sue, welcome from me too. Iain (Broad Scot) is a real Northerner from the land of the kilt and sporran, and i`m a real southerner. Well, you can`t get more south than Bournemouth and Poole.

With a large number from the East coast, all we need is someone from far west, and we`ll all 4 points of the compass catered for.

Welcome again Sue, and have a good time joining in the discussions and banter.

Welcome from us too

I am Norfolk born and bred

Carole was born in North Yorkshire has lived in Norfolk for 50 years

But Our 40 th wedding anniversary this year and her application is in for her Norfolk residency permit hope they let her stay

cheers

Ray & Carole

Welcome from us too

I am Norfolk born and bred

Carole was born in North Yorkshire has lived in Norfolk for 50 years

But Our 40 th wedding anniversary this year and her application is in for her Norfolk residency permit hope they let her stay

cheers

Ray & Carole

Hi Ray,

You mean there are two men on here that have survived 40 years married bliss :love  this year :naughty: Just 17 more days to go for us!  :dance

cheers Iain.