A plea to all the Saily's

senator

There has been much recently about speeding and the effects this has on moored boats and how terrible hirer's are but on the Southern Rivers there seems to be a much more dangerous animal.

Why is it that those who choose to boat without an engine also believe themselves to be such masters of the weather that they can get within inches of moored boats and know there will be no gust of wind?

Our pontoon neighbour suffered a large amount of damage from a sailing boat while he was moored outside of the Reedcutters on Saturday. We now moor riverside and are constantly subjected to yachts getting within a foot or less of us while milling around waiting for the bridge at Reedham. The person in our space previously was hit on three occasions by Yachts. While mooring anywhere around Coldham Hall it is purely a lottery as to who's boat will get hit.

So my plea. 

You may not worry about damage to your sailing Boat, you may intentionally spend much of your time in reeds, you may be the most skilled yachtsman in the world but please, please, please, have a little respect for other peoples property and stay a reasonable distance away.

• Like 12

Must be something about the tat ha around the reedcuters area we passed serveral yatchs there who were brilliant indicated early which side to pass,then there was one who was sailing up the right bank on a direct coarse for us no signal at all ,we had the tide behind us , it got close to him being run over very close, it took 300 horse power of engines in reverse to miss him a total berk,a local boat owner who moors down Langley described them as big headed ********* so beware around the reedcutters

Edited by JawsOrca
Language Edited ;)
  • Like 2

sailing on a tidal river can offer quite a challenge ...... particularly if you want to make progress. Using every inch of available water (No .... I don't mean bumping, scraping moored boats) can make the difference between making a corner or failing.

I know cos I have spent over an hour to get round a corner with adverse tide & wind. Once achieved I turned round and went home with an immence sence of smug happiness.

So yes .... I'm Sparticus ...... I have sailed within inches of other boats ........ And no I never hit any ...... and now never will ...... cos I don't have a boat!

• Like 3

I will if you will......

Poppy I am talking about moored boats here, how am I supposed to stay a reasonable distance away if I am tied up? Every incident I have recounted has been people who are moored being hit by sailing boats purely because they want to use every inch.

Smelly Loo I can see why they would want to but that doesn't make it right, If another tack is needed to stay a safe distance away then it should be taken but where we moor the majority are waiting for the bridge, not trying to make way, there is no reason whatsoever to get close.

• Like 3

Senator, having been 'clouted twice on my moorings this year  so far by hire craft, I am feeling a little sensitive!   Diesel Falcon, there are reasons why a yacht  would be 'sailing up the right bank' mostly related to the direction of the wind, and the fact that the direction can change close to the bank. Sometimes that's to the yachtsman's advantage - other times not.  If the helmsman ha not given any signal, that will almost certainly  be because he is unaware when that 'lift' will turn into a 'header'. The appropriate action for a mobo helm in that situation (I i am both) is to clearly and obviously turn away from the course of the yacht as early as possible when safe to do so.

Waiting until you are 'close to him being run over' is not the right course of action I would suggest.

Of course, you may have wished to make a point.......

As for 300 horsepower - this is the Norfolk Broads............

• Like 1

Even yachtsmen racing in the Olympics and Americas Cup make mistakes! We are all

human, or hope we are!

A little bit of give and take can go a long way IMHO.  There I go dreaming again. :naughty:

cheers Iain

Absolutely Iain, This only becomes a problem though when they insist on getting to within inches. If a 3m margin for error was left then I am sure most of the collisions would be removed.

We all make mistakes but why turn a mistake into a collision when there is no reason. Different when coming in to moor as there is no alternative but to get close.

• Like 2

Senator, having been 'clouted twice on my moorings this year  so far by hire craft, I am feeling a little sensitive!   Diesel Falcon, there are reasons why a yacht  would be 'sailing up the right bank' mostly related to the direction of the wind, and the fact that the direction can change close to the bank. Sometimes that's to the yachtsman's advantage - other times not.  If the helmsman ha not given any signal, that will almost certainly  be because he is unaware when that 'lift' will turn into a 'header'. The appropriate action for a mobo helm in that situation (I i am both) is to clearly and obviously turn away from the course of the yacht as early as possible when safe to do so.

Waiting until you are 'close to him being run over' is not the right course of action I would suggest.

Of course, you may have wished to make a point.......

As for 300 horsepower - this is the Norfolk Broads............

Sorry to hear you have been hit Poppy but as to the yachtsman hugging the right bank I have to say, if the helm doesn't know what is happening then how is anyone else supposed to?

The comment possibly highlights the issue very well. There may be a great skill in hugging a bank to catch a wind that isn't present 20 yards off the bank but, given the mobo has taken avoiding action and decided to pass starboard to starboard what happens when the unpredictable wind dies and the sailing helm decides they want to tack.

I would argue that the correct course of action, given there are other river users about, would be for the sailing Helm to give up their secret wind and go back to a more predictable course that means if nothing else at least "he/she" knows where they are going. Different if there are no other boats on the river, if that is the case they can do what they like

• Like 1

Diesel Falcon, there are reasons why a yacht  would be 'sailing up the right bank' mostly related to the direction of the wind, and the fact that the direction can change close to the bank. Sometimes that's to the yachtsman's advantage - other times not.  If the helmsman ha not given any signal, that will almost certainly  be because he is unaware when that 'lift' will turn into a 'header'.

The appropriate action for a mobo helm in that situation (I i am both) is to clearly and obviously turn away from the course of the yacht as early as possible when safe to do so.

Poppy how on earth can a moored boat get out of the way???????????

surely any one their right mind sailing a boat knowing the wind could cause a collision should not tack that close.

Talk about power giving way to sail, you expect them if they are abourd to move for you then ???

Charlie

PS

in the 70's we got hit by a saily while moored at reedham it really spoiled our girls and our holiday on the hired woody. It was a private boat that hit us, his excuse was thought i had more room than that

I do know why he was sailing up the right bank, but he was doing this after he had made a tack, a simple wave of his arm would have been appropriate....he just could n,t be bothered, i had no clue if he was going to tack or not so followed the rules of the road,all he had to do was steer 2 degrees starboard, but no played chicken ,  he misjudged the speed , didn,t blink an eyelid, and tacked to get out of the mire, if he had done this with a less powered boat he would have been splinters, a simple mistake,which didn,t need to happen......a clear wave is all it takes....and some basic manners.

• Like 3

Clive,

That is a fair and awfully true comment, anyone can hire or buy a boat, sail or motor cruiser and take to the water with NO or little experience, as you will well appreciate from your own business.

I have a sailing boat too! (not a great sailor!...)

• Like 3

Just to wrestle this back, the intention was not to start another motor v sail row but to beg that those that choose to sail allow enough room for things to go wrong when heading towards moored boats.

I am sure if MoBo's had to tack against the wind then this would not just be aimed at sail and there are plenty of mostly hire MoBo's that pass far too close at speed to our mooring. Plenty of private go through a little fast but they don't tend to be so close.

Hire MoBo's maybe way too close but they are heading in the direction of the river so are less likely to hit. Sail are the ones moving side to side, hence when they get too close they are either going to hit with the boat or the boom.

Go as close as you like to the bank but if there is a boat there please tack away earlier to give room when things do go wrong.

• Like 4

Labrador, we have changed our boat and it no longer fits inside the marina.

Given we have had to pay another toll the cost of paying for another marina was just too much. That said it is a lovely spot and the boat is big enough to ride out all but the very worst of the wash from speeding boats but are you saying all the banks should be free of moored boats so sailors don't have to miss them?

Labrador, we have changed our boat and it no longer fits inside the marina.

Given we have had to pay another toll the cost of paying for another marina was just too much. That said it is a lovely spot and the boat is big enough to ride out all but the very worst of the wash from speeding boats but are you saying all the banks should be free of moored boats so sailors don't have to miss them?

Cantley? A lovely spot?  ....and as for the Reedcutters ......  But of course, moorings there are cheap. Probably because of all those bloody saileys :naughty: :naughty: