A plea to all the Saily's

senator

I don't think I mentioned anywhere in my post that banks should be kept free of moored boats. I was just pointing out that I was surprised you chose a mooring that you knew to be vulnerable.

It's a fair point but there is no reason for the mooring we are in to be vulnerable other than having to wait for the bridge but given there is a huge area of water right behind us at the confluence of the new cut and the Yare there is plenty of space. No more reason to be hit where we are than anywhere else. 

The person who was in our spot before also got hit twice on his previous riverside mooring at WRC, so it would appear anywhere on the river is vulnerable.

There has been much recently about speeding and the effects this has on moored boats and how terrible hirer's are but on the Southern Rivers there seems to be a much more dangerous animal.

Why is it that those who choose to boat without an engine also believe themselves to be such masters of the weather that they can get within inches of moored boats and know there will be no gust of wind?

You may not worry about damage to your sailing Boat, you may intentionally spend much of your time in reeds, you may be the most skilled yachtsman in the world but please, please, please, have a little respect for other peoples property and stay a reasonable distance away.

A very interesting post, Ian, and one which deserves careful consideration.

Let's please NOT let it degrade into an "Us & Them" tiresome thread............. Thanks.

• Like 4

dont assume the helm of a sailing boat knows what he/she is doing, private or hire.. 

some of them need to get a grip, I almost actually hit a saily the other day as it span round and started coming right towards me and everyone on deck started to panic as they saw my boat come within inches, evasive manouver later and watched him dissapear behind me as I sped up the river waving the 2 fingered salute.

what do they expect.

We are the other side of the bridge to the quay at the Marina, the quay is where we go for entertainment, to be fair most of that is provided by hired MoBo's and fast moving water, wouldn't like my boat to be anywhere near that

Cantley? A lovely spot?  ....and as for the Reedcutters ......  But of course, moorings there are cheap. Probably because of all those bloody saileys :naughty: :naughty:

Hi Poppy,

To be honest the speed limit at the Reedcutters in my opinion should be reduced for that corner, I know it goes down to 5mph but those boat moored there get blown about.

Maybe a speed limit of 4mph when passing pubs or 24 hour moorings would be a better option.

Lets face it none of us likes to be rocked about at these moorings be we moored up for lunch or mooring overnight.

Regards

Alan

Hi Poppy,

To be honest the speed limit at the Reedcutters in my opinion should be reduced for that corner, I know it goes down to 5mph but those boat moored there get blown about.

Maybe a speed limit of 4mph when passing pubs or 24 hour moorings would be a better option.

Lets face it none of us likes to be rocked about at these moorings be we moored up for lunch or mooring overnight.

Regards

Alan

Waste of time Alan. They would be ignored!   Only on Saturday, at the end of a pleasant sail I was nosed into the reeds  dropping sail. I was standing on the fore deck, my wife on the stern when not one bur TWO MoBos passed within a foot of my transom - at significantly above the speed limit , 6mph at that point. Fortunately I saw them coming, and was able to warn SWMBO and thus avoided an early bath for her!  The wash from these two idiots tossed our 28' 2.8 tonne craft all over the place - and they were traveling with the tide! 

Oh, and one was a privateer, with, by the sound of it a considerable number of horses under his sole!

Please slow down when passing moored/ stationary boats. It's a safety issue, as well as a matter of courtesy.

• Like 2

If I've posted this here before I apologise, but this is a good thread for it  :naughty: :naughty:

Sailing for Non Sailors

First we need some basic rules:
1. Sailing is more fun than motoring, but only when there's some wind (then it's called 'motoring' or 'drifting' or 'stopped')

2. The main purpose of sailing is to obstruct as many other boats as possible, except when you're tacking (or beating, same thing) which is that zigzag thing we do from one bank to another - then the object is to catch as many fishermen's floats as possible under the boat and break the line. Sometimes you'll see us tacking even when there's no other boats or fishermen. We do that

a)       'cos it's fun,

B)       B) 'cos it gives the crew something to do,pulling all those rope things, and

c)       c)'cos it takes MUCH longer to go anywhere that way, so the sailing lasts longer - good, innit?

3. Sorry if we're on the wrong side of the river, especially on blind corners, but a) we do put up a really big stick thing (mast) with a sheet thing (sail) on it, so you can see where we are, and B) for us there is no wrong side, 'cos we're allowed to go wherever we like - if we have to stay on one side there's usually no wind, so we're allowed to go and find some! (look in the rule book if you don't believe me)

'Course, if you're in a saily boat yourself, it depends if you're on port or starboard, and if you're going the same way as him or the other way, but that's a different story...

Racing

But how do you tell, I hear you ask, who is racing and who is not?

There's another convention: racing boats should be flying a square burgee (flag to stop birds sitting on top of the mast) and non-racing sailing boats should be flying a triangular burgee (ditto).
On the Broads however, this tends to break down because

A.)    Most Broads sailors are too mean to buy two burgees

B.)     Even if they own two, they are too lazy to swap them over and generally hoist a burgee at the start of the year and lower it at the end of the season.

General observations

Most sailors are a) hungover B) drunk c) about to get drunk.

When waving back to a yachtsman, count the number off fingers he's holding up when he waves back.

If you see a yacht half buried in the reeds the yachtsman would not be offended if you offered them a tow out - it's probably me.

All yachtsmen are masochists and enjoy being cold, wet and uncomfortable.

Yachtsmen really enjoy the sound that the long wooden thing at the front of a yacht makes when it meets fibreglass

Yachtsmen sail because they can't work out how to drive a cruiser

Yachtsmen are fluent in Anglo Saxon, when racing they forget the English language and only use Anglo Saxon

yachtsmen love nature, this is why we spend so much time in the reeds, stuck on the mud etc

As the heads on most yachts are impossible to use underway yacht crews will usually
use the river, also know as testing the temperature/depth of the river, checking the moorings.
On the other hand it can be viewed as just marking their territory.

:Sailing :Sailing :hardhat: :hardhat:

• Like 5

Actually Poppy, Cantley IS a really nice location, and if you turn your back to the factory the view is just as good as over any other stretch of the Yare.

The Reedcutters may not be on the same level as some other establishments in terms of poshness, but the beer is excellent and the folks friendly and helpful and they do a damn fine breakfast - more than can be said for many other taverns, both North and South.

Diff'rent strokes, etc.

But I agree completely about inconsiderate high-speed-close merchants of any flavour :-(

• Like 1

Waste of time Alan. They would be ignored! 

Please slow down when passing moored/ stationary boats. It's a safety issue, as well as a matter of courtesy.

How right you are, Graham.

I've given up holding up 3, 4 or 5 fingers at passing speeders as I usually get 1 or 2 in return............  two guns

Actually Poppy, Cantley IS a really nice location, and if you turn your back to the factory the view is just as good as over any other stretch of the Yare.

The Reedcutters may not be on the same level as some other establishments in terms of poshness, but the beer is excellent and the folks friendly and helpful and they do a damn fine breakfast - more than can be said for many other taverns, both North and South.

Diff'rent strokes, etc.

But I agree completely about inconsiderate high-speed-close merchants of any flavour :-(

Sally, I was in the Reedcutters recently, very recently....... I'll say no more :roll:

So was I :smile:

Conversely, I've heard some folks rave about pub X or Y and I wouldn't cross their doorstep....

Like I say, diff'rent strokes..... doesn't make you a bad person though :smile:

• Like 1

So was I :smile:

Conversely, I've heard some folks rave about pub X or Y and I wouldn't cross their doorstep....

Like I say, diff'rent strokes..... doesn't make you a bad person though :smile:

Saily, perhaps that pub that various folk wouldn't cross the threshold of has a landlord/tenant with a much less than palatable past, easily googlable, if you know who the individual is. Having got that off my chest I hope that we can move on, putting the issue to rest, the sun is shining, the wind a gentle breeze.

Saily, perhaps that pub that various folk wouldn't cross the threshold of has a landlord/tenant with a much less than palatable past, easily googlable, if you know who the individual is. Having got that off my chest I hope that we can move on, putting the issue to rest, the sun is shining, the wind a gentle breeze.

Your kidding, you mean he is no longer at the Broads Authority, at least the pub will be easy to spot, it is the only one with multiple signs, the last one claiming to be a supermarket as this should attract a larger client base.

• Like 1

Your kidding, *you mean he is no longer at the Broads Authority, at least the pub will be easy to spot, it is the only one with multiple signs, the last one claiming to be a supermarket as this should attract a larger client base.

* Was he ever? 

Potter has its own identity despite Lathams becoming QD, known locally as Coo Dee. Wroxham Barns has its somewhat smarter identity, perhaps a tad upmarket for Potter. Personally I'd rather spend the day at Potter, poking around the moorings or swilling forbidden fare, greasy chips and quality burgers, than I would the Barns. Hopefully Potter will develop in its own way rather than being another over developed Wroxham. 

Just had some time out in a stinky and I must say the Sailies were excellent. More than ever before gave clear hand signals (of the pleasant, constructive nature) showing me where they wanted me to go. It really helps. For those that don't I find watching them as they get closer, unless there is an obvious change in river direction or wind they usually follow the same pattern. This allows me to anticipate where they will be so that I can do my best to not be where they want to be.......simples. Just occasionally this does not work and plan B is needed.......panic!

• Like 3

Just had some time out in a stinky and I must say the Sailies were excellent. More than ever before gave clear hand signals (of the pleasant, constructive nature) showing me where they wanted me to go. It really helps. For those that don't I find watching them as they get closer, unless there is an obvious change in river direction or wind they usually follow the same pattern. This allows me to anticipate where they will be so that I can do my best to not be where they want to be.......simples. Just occasionally this does not work and plan B is needed.......panic!

So true Maxwellian. However there are many who aren't looking or are simply all intent on getting past as soon as possible. The ever reducing amount of moorings may be contribution to their apparent stress.

A Broads yacht under sail is very much part of the environment locally and enjoyed by many, judging by the number of photographs taken of my boat and others, as well as the numerous compliments paid to me about the boat.

• Like 3

Jenny M & Senator...

Sorry, but I have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about(therefore cannot comment on what appears to be an 'insider' story).

The idea that I would use Google to research the landlord's past before I walk through the door is laughable - I simply moor up, walk down the path and look at the building.

I then assess whether it's a pub, shop or church and decide whether it's likely to sell beer or food. Is the answer is 'yes' I may well enter and carry out another assessment as to whether it seems I might get food poisoning, be deafened by muzak or have to watch big-screen football. I'd include the question "did the locals fall silent when I entered; if I order a point of Guinness did they start talking again" (you need to be a certain age to remember that advert)

If all the above are satisfied I may well order and consume, then leave after an interval.

I may then recommend (or not) based on my own experiences at that time, leaving others to follow or ignore at their discretion.

If you tell me that the guv'nor at boozer X once had a parking ticket, robbed a bank or started a war I might observe that if he holds the licence, someone thought him a fit and proper person to do so.

I have neither the time nor inclination to conduct research into someone's past (if you do that's your prerogative) and frankly "let he who is without sin etc".

This sounds like assassination by forum of someone who hasn't been identified, but is hinted/rumoured/believed/assumed/gossiped to be a wrong 'un for some undisclosed (but available on Google if you care to look) reason.

If this floats your boat, fill your boots, but it says more to me about your view of the world and how it should be run that I care to share, thanks.

I shan't make any further comment on this thread, as I'm not at all sure I like the tone of the implications.

How did this grow from a plea to sailys?

• Like 1

Was out on the water today, behind a tacking yacht. Coming from astern of us both was a large Gin Palace. I held on to the bank to let him pass, which he did, he then started honking on his horn and shouting at the other sailing boat, claiming that he was a hampered vessel, which I really don't think that he was and clearly the other sailing boat didn't think so either! Whatever, the other sailing boat carried on tacking. Who was wrong, the sailing boat for getting in the way, or the gin palace for demanding that the sailing boat give way? He could have asked!