Today should see the launch of Freedom Pod - our new boat designed as a picnic boat with overnight facilities.

Anyone following our facebook page will already be quite aware of this boat, but being only a small yard, we can struggle to bring new things to the market and Freedom POD is no exception. As I write this at 4:20am, I am time-slicing wriiting with designing the vinyl lettering for the boat which will be registered with the BA sometime later today or tomorrow, depending when in the day we get our certificate of conformity.

Flamping?

Freedom POD will take up to eight passengers (better with six) our for the day. The main party is seated around a table with the helmsman just behind them. At the stern, there is a single burner spirit stove, cold water sink and concealed porta-potti for emergencies. By night, the table drops down and two infil cushions (which spent the day being back rests) provide a comfortable bed that's the full width of the boat and capable of sleeping two adults and a child (or three adults if you fancy).

Powered by a modern outboard, Freedom POD is quiet, very quiet. This allows the on-board radio/CD player to be easily heard without the rest of the river being bothered by it.

The Freedom POD features internal LED lights to provide assistance in after dark and, uniquely, naviagtion lights. Let me explain. We have no desire to encourage after dark navigation and for most, this will be absolutely forbidden. However, we see Freedom POD as a boat that will be attractive to fishermen who, until now, have no option for night fishing on the water unless they have their own boat. The addition of navigation lights allows occasional repositioning of the vessel for this purpose.

By day, the main cover is a bimini over the rear half of the vessel. By night (or inclement weather), the main cover zips over to fully enclose the boat, providing full standing room to all but the forward most area (which is seating or bed space anyway). Take a look at the pictures to see why we have have been resisting the urge to call it the Freedome :-)

Privacy for evenings afloat (or use of the potti) is afforded by simple curtaining.

Essentially, what we have is a completely repositionable Glamping Pod on water - hence, Flamping.

Pricing

During the summer holidays, the Freedom POD is available for £125 from 10am through to 4:30pm.

Overnight Flamping rates are £150 with a 10am pickup and 9am drop off the next morning. Overnight is limited to three people.

Please note that you will need your own bedding and camping paraphernalia.

post-141-0-97403800-1438660671_thumb.jpg

On the water

post-141-0-55713700-1438660799_thumb.jpg

On the water

post-141-0-02948600-1438660899_thumb.jpg

On the water

post-141-0-85839700-1438660988_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Freedome - hard to resist the temptation to call it this.

post-141-0-01454300-1438661070_thumb.jpg

Internal arrangement - grey seat cushions

post-141-0-09879400-1438661145_thumb.jpg

Full head height

post-141-0-84401500-1438661221_thumb.jpg

Layout

• Like 7

We are not aiming for the weekly market with this boat. There are plenty of vessels out there for weekly hire or short break hire.

We see huge demand for simple overnight accomodation which is expensive in a cruiser because it costs the same to us to prep the boat whether you have one night or seven.

The Freedom Pod is a wipe clean, simple boat that is equipped with basic essentials that can be prepped quickly and inexpensively. It is aimed at those who want a day on the river with the possibility of staying out to the next day.

It may also appeal to fishermen who want to do a spot of night fishing from tbe safety of a high walled vessel.

• Like 1

Sit with the wrong type of fender in your lap, there might definitely be some attention given :-0

The canopy has a curtain attached to each window panel and a further detachable one that separates the aft area from the rest of the boat to provide complete privacy both for the use of the loo and overnight accommodation. 

• Like 1

No sound proofing on the loo area then - might need a louder radio to protect the innocent! :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:

You make a joke of it but we were moored alongside a rather expensive gin-palace the other evening. The bog might have been insulated from the cabin area but not the hull. Indeed a common feature of many hireboats too! Without going into graphic details we could every nuance of lavatorial noise! We resisted breaking into that well known chorus, 'we know what you're doing'!!

• Like 1

Try Paul McCartney's Frog Song with Raspberrys.  :party:

(I should refrain from posting after Old Speckled Hen).

It is fair to say that the loo is not for sitting and reading the newspaper. It is functional and private which is as good as you'd get in any public loo. 

Try Paul McCartney's Frog Song with Raspberrys.  :party:

(I should refrain from posting after Old Speckled Hen).

It is fair to say that the loo is not for sitting and reading the newspaper. It is functional and private which is as good as you'd get in any public loo. 

no need to read the paper in a public loo as there is always some very interesting art work to look over!

Sorry I lowered the tone, back to the boat, I hope to see it with happy campers (flampers) at the helm cruising the Yare very soon.

no need to read the paper in a public loo as there is always some very interesting art work to look over!

Sorry I lowered the tone, back to the boat, I hope to see it with happy campers (flampers) at the helm cruising the Yare very soon.

The problem is that it's rarely up to date, Mark. :-)

More Hen = less measured replies......

Hi Andy,

It was a favourite pint of mine, not so good in bottled version. I first heard it called OSH in the Ribs of Beef in Norwich. For those who don't know what OSH stands for, its Old Speckled Hen a very nice strongish ale. :) Sigh, :cry  me on my Becks Blu 0% lol

cheers Iain.

Freedom Pod should offer better ventilation than yer average public lavatory, especially when under way. At night you might also get revealing shadows on the bog wall, bit like shadow boxing!

Freedom Pod should offer better ventilation than yer average public lavatory, especially when under way. At night you might also get revealing shadows on the bog wall, bit like shadow boxing!

Toooooo much information JM!  :norty:  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Ohh, it's so close now. We have the boat rated for eight passengers, all the canopy and curtaining work is done. Just some twiddly bits to finish but need the time. Other things keep going wrong, taking us away from it. 

Many, many thanks to my army of Marks for their support and assistance with this (they know who they are). 

Many, many thanks to my army of Marks for their support and assistance with this (they know who they are).

So how do they start work in the morning them?

"On your marks..... get set....... go... " lol

I think it is very refreshing to see the start of a new venture, it might escalate to a fleet.

I can see the advantage for autumn pike fishing sessions.

When not in use, will the boat be ashore undercover?

Good luck, I'm sure we will all be interested to know when the first hire takes place and what they thought of it.