I'm not sure if this should be in technical questions as it's about computers not boats (mods feel free to shift elsewhere)

Remember if anyone answers please use idiot speak and not computer jargon, assume the OP to be technically challenged as the people who know me can confirm to be accurate.

I have 2 RAM things in my desktop computer, sometimes on starting up only 1 seems to be working, if the machine is shut down and restarted the other may or may not start (sometimes needs 2 restarts)

The machine does run with only half the RAM working but not very efficiently, once both are running it works perfectly.

any advice gratefully received.

Hi Martin,

RAM thingies need to compatible with each other.. So what we normally do is put in a pair of the same brand, model etc.. Check they are both the same...

Also how do you know they aren't both working?

It could also be the motherboard is dying :( 

My computer only has 4GB RAM (2 x 2 which could explain why it struggles with only 1 working) both are the original that came with the computer.

I go into control panel, system & security, system, this tells me that my RAM is 4GB if both working but only 2GB if 1 isn't working.

Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

4Gig sounds reasonably old :( It could as Mark says getting too old and giving up..

You could open it up... dig about and get the numbers on the RAM strips and order replacements (they will only be about £20 or so).   Or maybe it's time to treat yourself to a new machine.. Must admit I've never had a RAM fail on me though.. it's normally other things first. 

4GB is reasonably old! but as I'm not a gamer, photographer, video maker it is plenty for me if working.

Thanks Jonzo I'll look into that programme, in the meantime I've found reference to dust build up causing heat and how to clean the inside up so will give that a try, also dry contacts? I always thought contacts were supposed to be dry so will need to try and find more info on that one.

• Like 1

Hi Martin

Dry joints means the solder is dry making for a poor connection not that there has to be any moisture. It could be just a case of one of the memory units not being seated properly and removing and replacing it would solve the problem.

You can also buy from Maplin an aerosol of electrical contact cleaner which is pretty good.

Make sure you disconnect any power before trying any of this

• Like 4

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/memory-info

Download and run this prog from Cricial it's safe and tells you what memory you have and gives options to upgrade with costs.

You could be brave and take the lid/side off and re-sit the memory sticks by releaseing the white click holding them in place (6"long strips) then push back in to see if that helps.

Tip take side off hold the metal case then remove the power lead you've earth yourself so you have no static in you like when your getting out of the car.

Hi Martin,

Dry Joints (called cold joints in the USA) is usually where the soldered joint has a crack around the soldered joint, it is common around a connection pin because of mechanical movement.

I would not use any form of spray on your computer.

Remove the two RAM Sims and look for the more than likely gold plated contacts that go into the Sims sockets. To clean these use a pencil rubber and then wipe with a lint free cloth, relocate they will be keyed and will only go into the sockets one way around.

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards

Alan

This thread brings to mind the medieval approach to religion. A language understood only by the elite hierarchy, mysticism and the presence of an omnipresent being (the internet).

I know what "RAM" means I assume all the other posters do, that's why nobody bothers to explain?

This thread brings to mind the medieval approach to religion. A language understood only by the elite hierarchy, mysticism and the presence of an omnipresent being (the internet).

I know what "RAM" means I assume all the other posters do, that's why nobody bothers to explain?

In case there are those that don't, here is a link to explain it!  :naughty: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random-access_memory

cheers Iain

RAM is random access memory it is used when ever you open a program, do a task etc.

You use this memory doing your tasks and then release it for other tasks. the more memory you have then the better or quicker your pc will be.

In the early days 1MB of RAM was huge and cost you a small fortune. As motherboards developed you could fit more RAM but early operating systems would not let you use additional RAM.

Things have moved on in leaps and bounds RAN and disk sizes have increased no  end and the prices are almost give away these days.

Regards

Alan

Alan,

As requested I'm giving the update on the current position.

Computer cover removed and 1 ton of dust removed from inside. maybe a slight exageration but it was more than I could possibly have believed.

Located the RAM (or at least it was the only double unit I could find) and carefully removed them for Alan's eraser treatment, found it quite a tricky job as the eraser didn't really fit between the pins so was mostly just the outside edges. The lint free cloth seemed a lot easier to use.

replaced Ram and to my surprise the computer is still working, only 2 days so far without a problem, if still working after a week it could have worked, if not a new machine will be on my wish list. 

I should have mentioned before starting the above, the machine was unplugged and start button depressed for 20 seconds to remove residual sparky stuff.

As I am now a fully qualified computer engineer if anyone needs help just call, me and my trusty hammer are at your service.

• Like 6

When handling any memory Eprom, Ram etc you should really do it wearing an earthed wrist strap on an antistatic mat. Should you pass a static spike into the chip it can appear perfectly normal for a while then completely fail for no apparent reason. These boards are assembled in antistatic clean environments so the dining table is not altogether a good idea.

I'm still waiting for a qualifing success on the programming front, I can already lose programmes into the dark void but still working on getting them up and running when they're being difficult, if however there are any hardware problems my new found "expert" status means I can help with this (my hammer is ready and waiting to swing into action)

• Like 2