Petrol

macroft1

Before Sweet kingfisher our last boat was a Shetland 4+2.During our two weeks we would travel from Brundall, up north then travel back down.Most of our petrol came from petrol stations, in the north,Stalham,Acle and  Wayford bridge.

Not easy but we did it for four years,we had three petrol cans so we could travel a fair distance.

Hope that helps Ian

• Like 1

There's a petrol station a short walk from Potter but even a short walk with a 25ltr petrol tank on a hot day isn't much fun - did it last week!!

It'd be much nicer to pull into a boat yard and top up but I understand that most boats are diesel these days and boat yard don't carry petrol stocks.

I suppose the exercise will do me good!!

Regards.

Mark.

WRC does petrol I should know but can't remember, but maybe Brooms did/do stock petrol. We had a trolley, which we helped.We loved our little boat it was our first boat bulit for us,but in a sence we out grow her,its for us much better using diesel.Still we had many good times on our trips.

Ian

I have a 25ltr tank on a 18.5ft Norman with a 9.9hp 4 stroke.

We were there last week from Tuesday to Sunday and started with a full tank from the top of Hickling Broad as follows:-

Tues - Launched from Whispering Reeds, a run down Hickling Broad and back to boatyard.

Weds - Whispering Reeds to Potter Heigham.

Thurs - Potter to Ludham Bridge.

Fri - Ludham Bridge to Wroxham.

Sat - Wroxham to Potter and showing almost empty on gauge back at Potter. walked to petrol station for 5ltrs.

Sun - Potter to Whispering Reeds - approx 28ltrs in all.

Regards.

Mark.

Martham Development sell petrol from the pump. Have obtained it from Maycraft in the past, out of cans. There a garage in the centre of Ludham, and one a short stroll from Wayford bridge. There is a garage at Sutton on the way to the Harnser. Also if you want to go to Coltishall you can moor near Caen Medow in Wroxham and walk up to Roy's garage.

Do what we used to do we had two 25 Lt one 15 Lt and one 5 Lt can

Ian

Ian, Hi.

Peter JM said:

Might be worth checking the BSS & your insurance as to how much fuel can be carried in auxiliary cans.

It's far more complex than that!

The BSS states:

To avoid petrol leaking into the boat from fuel containers, they must be stowed in accordance with Standards 7.2 through to 7.8, e.g. in a fire resistant drained locker. This will allow fuel or fuel vapours to drain overboard, rather than into the boat. [5.4]

And that is where it gets very complex because Standards 7.2 through to 7.8  are the LPG storage regulations!

7b.gif

This means that if you don't comply with this then your insurance would almost certainly be invalid in the event of a fire...

In fact it directly says that:

To avoid petrol leaking into the boat from fuel containers, they must be stowed in accordance with Standards 7.2 through to 7.8, e.g. in a fire resistant drained locker

Also this comment is made in the part 5  regs:

One boat owner had a nasty shock on a hot and sunny day. The petrol stored in containers on his deck was left in direct sunlight on one very hot and sunny day while the owner visited a local attraction. On his return, the boater decided to refuel his small outboard-engined boat, but forgot that vapours from the fuel would build up under pressure, because of the heat affecting the containers. When he opened the lid, petrol vapour escaped under high pressure and was ignited by what is believed to have been a discarded cigarette. The boater suffered significant burns to his arms as a result. [5.3]

John, entirely right but on many sailing boats, Drascombes and Broads sailing cruisers for example, the provision of a drained locker is completely undesirable and impractical. Deck storage has been recommended to me twice now, two different sources, as being preferable to storage within the cockpit. Fuel storage recommendations, in other areas and to fellow Drascombe owners, has also been for deck rather than lazarette or cockpit storage. Not for me to tell folk what to do but there are some things that can't be done on a low freeboard sailing boat!

John, I understand that certain exclusions apply to vintage craft.

It all becomes questionable when you think that I can have a fuel tank out in the open on the cockpit floor of my dory yet I can't, or shouldn't, have a similar tank on the open deck of my boat! I raised this with a BA safety officer, no definite answer.