It's been 15 years but I'm coming back...

Greatplum

Hi all,

I'm returning back to the broads on Friday for a long weekend (yes, it's a stag do but we are a civilised bunch...) we are on Brinks Emperor (looks like a bit of a beast of some vintage!)

anyway, in the 90s, I was in my school scout troop and we used to go up to the Broads every Easter and hire cruisers from Herbert Woods (either Searching Lights or Flash of Lights - what happened to those?) The venture scouts would have yachts from Upton - Typhoon, Tempest (fine boats), Dawn Wind & Fair Wind... I see they are still for hire - but what happened to the Spindrifts?

Anyway, if you see Brinks Emperor next weekend, wave and say hi :)

• Like 3

Welcome back, not much has changed in those years, probably fewer independant hire yards, and less public moorings.

Re the Spindrifts, one was for sale a couple of years ago at Stalham, and another had a close encounter with a broken off submerged marker post on the way to Gaye's Staithe, at the lower end of Barton Broad a couple of years ago, and as a consequence sunk, but it was taken back to the hire yard and repaired, not sure where it is now...

Hi, thanks for the welcome...

poor old Spindrift - we always had a soft spot for them (they were known as the bathtubs!)

We used to love mooring up at Gay's staithe and rowing to Neatishead...

we confused quite a few people at Gay's staithe, as that's where we often had our 'Scout's Own' - the school chaplain used to look after one of the cruisers and we'd have a service on the staithe having temporarily 'purloined' some service books from the church down the Ant!

Hi Greatplum and :welcome:

we had a very long break before returning a few years ago and the thing I remember is that after 10 minutes I felt as if I'd never been away. Yes the boats had changed, the wooden cruisers had almost gone but it's the same broads we fell in love with back in the 80’s

have a great time and come back and tell us all about it...... We are a nosey lot here ...... Oh and we love to see pics (put that bit in for our Gracie :gracie:)

have a great holiday

• Like 2

A very warm welcome aboard from me :wave

Have been on a Hen Party Boat, what goes on Hen stays on Hen :naughty: We had pink sparkly Stetsons, cut off denims, cowboy boots, the whole damn lot lol, got some funny looks I can tell you, have a lovely time

Grace

p.s I'm not nosey, it's the others (especially David):naughty:

Edited by Gracie
  • Like 2

Fifteen years, what's changed?

Well, there are a few less pubs and a number of yards have gone. Boats are bigger, hi-tec is is very much the flavour of the day although some might argue that it's gone to far and, to a degree, has yet to prove itself reliable.

Along the banks there are more private boats, many of them bigger and more brash than they were fifteen years ago. There are less small private boats. Moorings have become marinas and facilities for private boaters have improved beyond doubt, but at a price.

A real plus along the bank is the presence of many quality, independent breweries. Competition amongst waterside pubs is high, resulting in many excellent, albeit fewer pubs, especially on the Southern Broads. Fifteen years ago it might have been chicken or scampi & chips, almost certainly burgers & chips, today it's more likely to be roasts & carveries or restaurant quality menus in interesting and comfortable surroundings, along with good, real ale.

There are fewer moorings but most, despite crushed concrete & aggregate to damage the boat's paint or gelcoat, are better maintained. Today many boats benefit from mains electricity & many moorings have this laid on.

One downside, I think. is the lack of tolerance shown by a few. Perhaps this is society in general but it is, regrettably, rearing its head on our waterways. However, be happy, ignore the misery-guts, you are on holiday, boating on the Broads, what more could you want?

The Broads has changed, is changing, by and large better than it was fifteen years ago, in my opinion.

• Like 6

Let's hope the weather stays as good!

I know the best man is hoping to hire a few sailing dinghies for the Saturday - we are starting in Wroxham - does anywhere local hire these for the day?

(most I have seen are day cruisers or just rowing boats!)

Despite having a Drascombe Longboat and a Broads sailing cruiser in the family I have been known to hire one of the una rigged sailing dayboats from Hunters at Ludham. 

Let's hope the weather stays as good!

I know the best man is hoping to hire a few sailing dinghies for the Saturday - we are starting in Wroxham - does anywhere local hire these for the day?

(most I have seen are day cruisers or just rowing boats!)

Martham boats hire out half deckers by the half day, day etc. Then you have the chance to sail on Hickling Broad, and a beer or three at the Pleasure Boat inn at Hickling. Then "tack back" lol...

• Like 1

Martham boats hire out half deckers by the half day, day etc. Then you have the chance to sail on Hickling Broad, and a beer or three at the Pleasure Boat inn at Hickling. Then "tack back" lol...

sadly, there's next to no chance of getting to Hickling - the great bathtub that's been hired won't get under the bridge at Potter Heigham...

jenny, is that at the bridge or Womack?

sadly, there's next to no chance of getting to Hickling - the great bathtub that's been hired won't get under the bridge at Potter Heigham...

jenny, is that at the bridge or Womack?

If you are going to consider hiring a number of half deckers from Martham, then why not phone them to see if they can collect you from Potter Heigham. They can either collect you by road, or by boat, I'm sure business is business, give them the opportunity to quote. Just a thought.

• Like 2