Life Jacket Maintenance

LondonRascal

I'd like to draw attention to the importance of servicing life jackets as the boating season for many ends and with those long chilly nights, what better time to sit down and go through some safety checks and maintenance.

My life jacket is a fully automatic one, something many other people will have and I'd suggest if you don't own one to consider buying one. 

The life jacket I own does not have a crotch strap - in hindsight I should have got one that does, the reason being should I ever need to use it and it is not securely fitted there is a very good chance it will go up as you go down in the water - straight up over your head. You then have a right tangle to deal with - but a poorly crotch strap that is too loose will equally prove an issue, so firstly I'd say check how you fit your life jacket and remember to always adjust it depending on what outer clothes you have (less in summer more in winter).

Yesterday I began going through things and found the automatic firing system was 4 months out of date - so a new one has been ordered.  Mine has a UML MK5 system and it is important to know which system your particular life jacket uses for replacement parts.  The instructions the life jacket came with will often cover multiple different types - mine has a pictogram of 5 such types.  Forutanly that was all that was needed and pleased to say after 24hours inflated it had not lost any air.

To help others that might be doing this, the helpful video below covers what you need to look for, and do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

........The life jacket I own does not have a crotch strap - in hindsight I should have got one that does, the reason being should I ever need to use it and it is not securely fitted there is a very good chance it will go up as you go down in the water - straight up over your head. You then have a right tangle to deal with - but a poorly crotch strap that is too loose will equally prove an issue, so firstly I'd say check how you fit your life jacket and remember to always adjust it depending on what outer clothes you have (less in summer more in winter).....

Unfortunately, very few people do wear a crotch strap with a lifejacket, maybe it makes them feel uncomfortable, or they feel foolish.

If you've ever had one deployed without one though, you suddenly realise why they're so vital. They increase the effectiveness and safety of lifejackets immensely, as they keep your head much further above the water surface.

All lifejackets worn without them will ride well up unless you have the belt done up very tightly, which is hardly ever the case in practice.

They are so cheap and easy to fit to any lifejacket already supplied without one, since they are just a simple strap that fastens to the existing belt behind and in front, passing under the crotch.

This google search shows them costing around a fiver:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=universal+crotch+strap&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=-dw7Vo3HE8Kaa_aKpLgJ#q=universal+crotch+strap&tbm=shop

After my sudden unplanned immersion, I've fitted crotch straps to all of my lifejackets and also my buoyancy aids, which I use when canoeing and dinghy sailing. They actually make the buoyancy aids much more comfortable, since they can then be a looser fit around the waist, and yet they can't ride up at all, quite important when you're sitting in a kayak.

There was a discussion on here about crotch straps some time ago, and I thought I'd better post the same picture again that I did last time, which clearly shows how useless a lifejacket can be without a crotch strap.

deployed lifejacket without crutch strap.jpg

Another tip about automatic lifejackets -

If you leave them aboard the boat, always put them in an airtight (but thin) polythene bag, as the auto firing mechanism trigger in 95% of them is the "United Moulders" dissolving ring, which gradually deteriorates in damp air until it suddenly inflates the jacket while stored.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=united+moulders&_sop=15

Will look into getting mine 'retro fitted' with a crotch strap - had no idea they existed as an 'add on' item you could buy.

The reason I'd original chosen the jacket I did was that it had a 'click together' front fastener, not the two metal buckle arrangement others did but it also did not have the crotch strap.

Having now seen videos where one person has a crotch strap and the other does not and leap into a pool - without one what you effectively have is an attached buoyancy aid that you almost have to 'climb back into' one deployed and you are in the water. 

47 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

......Having now seen videos where one person has a crotch strap and the other does not and leap into a pool - without one what you effectively have is an attached buoyancy aid that you almost have to 'climb back into' one deployed and you are in the water. 

...and that's the really crucial drawback without a crotch strap, the whole point of an auto is that you should be able to fall in unconscious, and still be turned on your back with your face well above the water's surface.

I would guess that the overwhelming majority of auto lifejacket wearers have far less security than they think, as you so rarely see a crotch strap being worn with them.

Got a crotch strap on mine, luckily I've never had to test it myself but did watch someone else fall in.  Once sure they were safe they had to deflate the jacket as it was restricting access to the safety ladder.  Mind you he did have a full ocean spec 275NM jacket on the non tidal Thames.

I've got a Baltic which is switchable from manual to auto although it's always left on Auto.

The other thing I notice is a lot of people have the buckles very loose, combine that with no crotch strap and you will probably have to swim after your jacket!

I have just ordered the spares to do my winter servicing as the auto inflate units are out of date and I had a rusty cylinder on the LJs and the inflatable life ring.

Parts seem reasonable on this site and I got the jackets from here as well.

I always make sure they are dry when they go away (well aired) and we leave a de-humidifyer running all year so keeps the damp at bay.

I am now off to play in the sink to see what happens when the auto inflate unit gets wet!!:wave

I always check mine before a trip as the gas bottles have the annoying habit of undoing themselves.. so before going afloat just make sure they are tight (I also quickly check the date on the automation cartridge and just check they aren't damaged)...

• Like 1

With our first boat we got a couple of really old green auto life jackets, the cylinders were all rusty and they looked like they would just add weight to help put you out of your misery quicker.

Just to check I threw them in the bath and both worked perfectly.

We have a disabled daughter who can not swim at all and would not be able to contribute anything should the jacket not work, thinking maybe a foam jacket would be better we spoke to the local RNLI man about the possibilities of the jacket not going off automatically or needing topping up with air but his thoughts were the chances of it not working were so small that she was far safer in an auto jacket with a crotch strap than with a foam one.

• Like 1

Lots of good advice in here. Servicing is essential if you want to be sure you can rely on your lifejacket. If you don't want to do it yourself there are people who will do it for you. I always have mine serviced professionally as I need the certificate. (Some of my sailing is professional and I also race under ISAF Offshore Special Regulations). I've found Seasafe to be very good and it's only a tenner plus any parts needed. They're on the Isle of Wight but have pickup points around the country, including ADB Services in Reedham. I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I've always found the cheapest genuine spares to be via eBay.

The only time you need to replace the gas cartridge is if it's been fired, so normally maintenance renewal is just the auto firing cartridge and clip, (the gas cartridge can be weighed for definite confirmation).

The majority of consumer auto lifejackets use the "United Moulders" cartridge.

Here's my ebay supplier:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/United-Moulders-MK5-MK5i-Cartridge-and-Clip-Set-/201539555011?var=&hash=item2eecb18ec3:m:mUHcs21BBzvs-QAc13LJUWw

"United moulders Cartridge and clip will fit all automatic lifejackets that use the UML-5, UML-5i  and UML pro sensor type inflator. This will fit all united moulders automatic inflators from 1992 - present. We supply this part with both possible clips old and new type. Current stock expires 10/2019"

£7.99 for one, £12.99 for two, £17.99 for three, £23.49 for four, all including 48 hour postage.

Although auto lifejackets were designed for DIY servicing, it should only be attempted by anyone confident in their ability to follow the instructions precisely.