New Years Afloat?

JawsOrca

Hey All,

So hopefully Orca will be back afloat before Christmas, everything crossed. As we sadly missed the autumn we are looking at spending the festive season on her. (Yes sorry we can start using the C world now as bonfire night has gone! xmas3)

The plan was originally to go up for Christmas but I guess we will have to the Family run around (Folk's no I don't know what I want) and at least that will remove some thought about finding somewhere to eat on that day,  So I guess the next idea will be new year (I hate being at home for new years eve anyway).. As long it's not so cold that the rivers are frozen it's a plan. We are probably going to be moored up north towards Stalham which I understand freezes anyway.. so it would need some thought. 

But we've never been out on the boat at this time so I've couple (Ok few)  of questions which I wonder if any one can help answer:

I guess the rivers will be quiet so BA moorings will be easy to come by? I note the water points may not be active.. I'm not too worried about water as I'm sure we will find some somewhere (Or beg the pubs!).. if not just use bottled water.. We have a webasto heater so I'm sure we will be warm (although will bring up a 240v radiator).. I guess the pubs will be open and food will be available but may be busy with locals so can't really be relied upon for meals? Will the breakdown services like Moonfleet and Boulters be about just in case (I need to decide which one to join.. Although Clive can I have a discount as we just kept moonfleet busy lol! (Worth a try))?  For new years eve evening is there anyway up there (either accessible by boat or car) which is worth going to.. does anyone do fireworks etc? Do the broadland pubs do live music? (I tried googling but I guess it's too early still).  Any hints tips recommendations etc as always highly welcomed! 

cheers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

Hey All,

So hopefully Orca will be back afloat before Christmas, everything crossed. As we sadly missed the autumn we are looking at spending the festive season on her. (Yes sorry we can start using the C world now as bonfire night has gone! xmas3)

The plan was originally to go up for Christmas but I guess we will have to the Family run around (Folk's no I don't know what I want) and at least that will remove some thought about finding somewhere to eat on that day,  So I guess the next idea will be new year (I hate being at home for new years eve anyway).. As long it's not so cold that the rivers are frozen it's a plan. We are probably going to be moored up north towards Stalham which I understand freezes anyway.. so it would need some thought. 

But we've never been out on the boat at this time so I've couple (Ok few)  of questions which I wonder if any one can help answer:

I guess the rivers will be quiet so BA moorings will be easy to come by? I note the water points may not be active.. I'm not too worried about water as I'm sure we will find some somewhere (Or beg the pubs!).. if not just use bottled water.. We have a webasto heater so I'm sure we will be warm (although will bring up a 240v radiator).. I guess the pubs will be open and food will be available but may be busy with locals so can't really be relied upon for meals? Will the breakdown services like Moonfleet and Boulters be about just in case (I need to decide which one to join.. Although Clive can I have a discount as we just kept moonfleet busy lol! (Worth a try))?  For new years eve evening is there anyway up there (either accessible by boat or car) which is worth going to.. does anyone do fireworks etc? Do the broadland pubs do live music? (I tried googling but I guess it's too early still).  Any hints tips recommendations etc as always highly welcomed! 

cheers 

Hi Alan,

The only nights I could see regarding An Evening with Bob are:-

The Ferry Inn, Surlingham - Christmas Eve - 6.00pm - 9.00pm

The Rushcutters, Thorpe St Andrew - New Year's Eve - 9.00pm (you will need to book in advance.)

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks Alan. 

I guess the queitness of this thread indicates the broads really are a low key place for xmas!! 

cheers Mark .Lol.. we still have out festoon lights up from last year... poor reindeers.. mwahahahah :angel: Do you think we still need a heater as well as the diesel heating?

:wasted: 

• Like 1

Hi Alan,  I find that for the small space it uses,  and for heating on a mooring with electric, it saves the noise of warm air heating disturbing others if it runs late at night or early mornings.  

I suspect you won't have many neighbours over New Year cheers

It is handy to shove away for occasional use,  less space required than a panel or oil filled heater. 

• Like 3

How lovely, New Year afloat must be even more magical than any other time, I would imagine.

Don't know about pubs etc at that time of year but would advise lots of layers of clothing, all the heating you can muster, thermal underwear and definitely wear life Jackets when mooring up, I would imagine the pontoons/moorings could be icy and slippery

Lots of lovely hot soup with fresh bread rolls and butter helps to warm you from the inside out, plus absolutely yummy.

Torch and non slip footwear for when walking back to Orca from the pubs and I reckon you'll be sorted ;)
Grace

p.s Lot's of photos of course :kiss

• Like 4

Hi Alan

Just spotted this, losing my touch. We've been out every December for a good few years now. I'll post  a bit more later but basically the pubs are all open, it's often colder in April and water is available in quite few places. You don't need any Artic gear just an extra duvet and make sure your heating is up to scratch! It really isn't difficult and it's a great time to be out. Apart from a few liveaboards you pretty much have the moorings to yourself. 

• Like 3

Thanks Gracie.. if it happens (Should know tomorrow as the surveyor is going to survey) then I'll defo do pictures and a tale ;)cheers 

Thanks Howard, I think your tales in the early spring are the thing that made me think about this! I'm probably best flicking back through your tales and taking a look! (Shame that London rascal is a bit of a softy and doesn't do winter trips either as it would be good to look up some of his videos! ;) )  We do have full oil skins worst case lol and Orca's heatings hardly been run in so should be good.. I will dig out the fan heater though as mentioned but would be nice to know that we can rely on the pubs for grub and find somewhere for new years eve evening.. Must admit i am surprised the hire fleet slows down as I bet its a cool place in the winter. 

• Like 3

Alan good to hear Orca is on her way back to good health. 

The fan heater is a good idea. Handy while the Eby warms up and for a little boost. 

We also have the hot water bottles. 

I am sure if you can find a pub for new year and book in you will have a great time. No driving as well. 

• Like 1

Hi Alan

I wouldn't worry unduly about the fan heater, Orca's heating should be fine. We just run the heating a bit during the day (the winter sun is surprisingly warm) go to the pub during the evening. When we get back we just run the heating for half an hour. Then get under the duvet and you are as snug as a bug. No need to have heat on when you are asleep. Then in the morning put the kettle on, switch on the heating and by the time the kettle has boiled the boat starts to warm through. You do tend to find in winter, particularly in places like Horning and Loddon, is that the liveaboards tend to hog the electric posts anyway. I've been on numerous winter holidays in December and February and never plugged in once.

Pubs are generally open as normal although the Locks has reduced hours and some pubs like the New inn at Horning have slightly altered hours. Pubs like the Swan at Horning and the Bridge Inn open as normal and are just as busy as the summer. Most pubs will do grub too although the Dog Inn, I know, doesn't do food in winter. The locals tend to come out of the woodwork in winter and we have chatted to many folk in winter who you probably wouldn't see in the summer.

We have had water from:

Ranworth, Horning Marina Services, Boulters, Faircraft Loynes, Moonfleet, Sutton Staithe boatyard, LBBY, Potter Pilots Office, Goodchilds among others. The water at Reedham is left on but they take away the hoses. If you have a short length of hose (Swancraft lent us one) you can still fill up there.

Talking of Ranworth if it does get really cold, Malthouse Broad can freeze over quite quickly. As can the Ant above Barton Broad, Loddon and Salhouse Broad too. The main rivers are fine where there is more tidal flow. Just don't moor at Ranworth if freezing weather is forecast!

The river levels can be a bit higher in December but not usually a problem, its just a bit more of a step down and possibly adjusting fenders. As other have said just take normal precautions on deck particularly if they are icey.

The thing I would stress is that it not like going to another continent in winter! It's bit colder and days are shorter but otherwise its every bit as good as summer if not better. If I ever had my own boat I'd tie it up in July and august and use it throughout the winter.

Enjoy, and please let us know how you get on!!

PS take a torch for the Dukes Head as that path is a bit dark in winter (been there, got the T shirt) although I did do it in the dark once....:eek:

cheersbar

• Like 4

Hi Alan, just re-reading your post. Yes, Stalham can freeze if it's very cold, Sutton too. Womack is a freeze hot spot too (excuse the pun). Main rivers are always fine tho. 

Music, Coldham Hall have a live band booked for NYE other pubs worth checking would be New Inn, Horning, New Inn Rockland, Surlingham Ferry, Dog Inn, Sutton Staithe Hotel, White Horse Upton, Kings Head Acle (all known for putting music on) I'll keep an eye on Twitter as pubs often post events on there. Fingers crossed :-)  

• Like 1

Thanks again Howard.. Bit of a silly question.. when you say very cold.. are we talking in the -10 range or does it freeze (towards Stalham) just below freezing.. I don't really want to leave the mooring if there's a chance of getting stuck out and I don't really want to be ice breaking! :)

Good tip on twitter there. I'll sit down and go through twitter and see if I can see whats going on!

Thanks Howard! cheers 

Hi Alan

No, very good question. It seems to depend on location, temperature and how cold it is over a period. To give an example, we moored overnight at Womack in December last year. The water was clear and temperature above freezing. I took a bit of a chance as I knew the forecast was for the temperature to approach freezing overnight. Even though it was only just near freezing, a thin sheet of ice formed very quickly. We had to wait a couple of hours for it to thaw sufficiently to get out as even very thin ice can be very damaging to the gel coat.

Womack is probably the worst place on the Broads for ice as it’s so sheltered and away from the main river. Ranworth can freeze overnight too. However there is a greater risk of ice if you get several days of cold weather particularly long periods of sub zero temperatures. It doesn’t need to be that cold, as soon as the temperature gets below freezing, ice will start to form. Having sad that I have never known the main river to freeze at places like Horning, Acle, Reedham etc where there is tidal flow. It has to get seriously cold for that to happen. It is mainly in the backwaters where ice forms.

To give an example, we were out in December 2010 which is probably the coldest winter in recent years. There was even quite thick snow. Apart from the places I’ve already mentioned we got around without problems, the only ice on the main rivers was a small amount of broken pack type ice at Surlingham and that is unusual.

If in doubt; keep to the main rivers, check the forecast and if the temperature is likely to get near or below freezing don’t moor at the likes of Ranworth or Womack or Sutton. But don’t worry, as I’ve mentioned we’ve been doing December and February for a good many years and (touch wood) not been caught out yet!  

PS – I should know but where are you moored now?

December 2010.jpg

• Like 2

I have been at Broadsedge for eight years and Stalham Dyke freezes when other water is open. I put this down to A. Getting very little sun due to the trees when the sun is at its lowest and B. A North Easter will blow along it. We have had prolonged periods of ice and had a couple of really dodgy times getting back in. We go out right through the winter for days only but at certain times you need to watch not only the temp but wind chill to avoid ice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gracie said:

That looks amazing Howard....and you say Jaws doesn't need arctic gear, eh? :taunt: Trust me Jaws, get your thermals out lol

Grace

p.s Have you got any more winter pics, please?

Hi Grace, should have some more, that was from December 2010 in the snow. I'll have a look. 

Re the cold It is surprisingly cosy. As long as the heating works you really don't need any extra clothing. A good thick duvet does help though. We used to blag 2 from Swancraft and double up.  

• Like 2

Thanks to you both. At the moment Howard, we are still in a boatyard down south, although we should find out today what the next step is. We will probably move to Broadsedge in Stalham in a few weeks time.  It does seem that stalham probably isn't the best choice though if we want to do winter cruising!!

I must admit I'm surprised it freezes so close to zero, I guess we have been spoilt being on salt water so really haven't had to worry. 

I'm not too worried the cold, living on a boat with only a log burner as heat, I'm kinda used to the cold and Orca's instant heating will probably feel like a luxury! and being smaller will feel cosy I guess! So I'd kinda rather be on Orca than on the barge. :) 

Certainly interested to see more winter pictures howard and if we are up it would be nice to catch up with you and say hello!

cheers 

• Like 2