1800's law used against mobility scooter owner

Hence my comment before, the  law is an ass, and made by rather a lot of asses too. The sad fact is, the police DON`T know the law. To qualify as a solicitor, you have to have university degrees etc, and yet the police are NOT required to have any legal qualifications whatsoever.  The police will word anything in a way to make you guilty in court, even if you HAVE`NT actually commited any crime. The media have reported any thousands of cases in the past where the defendant HAS`NT actually comitted any crimes.  Yet all too often, people who HAVE blatantly commited crimes get let off through lack of evidence?.  Says it all really.

Ian (Broad Scot), your point re insurance on mobl scooters, yes, you are right, it IS "recommended", but NOT compulsory.

Sorry going slightly off topic but I have seen another side to Police Officers when we were burgled and my brother was beaten to a pulp by a gang out for trouble as he innocently walked his girfriend home.

On both occasions the Police Officers that attended were absolutely fantastic, they were sympathetic, caring and understanding, promised to do everything in their power to bring the scum that did these things to justice, I have never been in trouble with the police so maybe I would have a different slant on things if I were on the wrong side of the law.

Like in all walks of life and professions there are good and bad and the Police are no exception but me and my family were so, so grateful for their support and kindness, so not all bad, I am raising my boys to have respect and to go to them if ever they needed help, they do a brilliant job (most of the time) in my opinion and long may they continue to do just that

Grace

p,s The fact that I happen to like their uniform has absolutely nothing to do with it :naughty:

• Like 4

But did they do their job well enough to catch and prosecute the criminals Gracie?. Let`s not forget the numerous reports a few years back where the police used several cars, and a helicopter, to chase down a major offender in a car. He or she, dared to eat an apple while driving.

Also, there was a report on the news, and it was discussed on lunchtime radio where a man reported a burglar ON THE PREMISES in the process of stealing from his garage. He phoned the police who said they won`t be attending for some pathetic reason, and gave him a crime number to give to his insurance company. The fellow put down the phone, only to phone them backl a minute later, saying he`d gone out to catch the theif, but hit him with a baseball bat and thought he`d killed him, which he had`nt really done. A police car arrived within a minute, and caught the theif red handed. And what did the police do, RELUCTANTLY arrested the theif, but threatened the householder for making a false statement. 

You might have had good dealings with the police Gracie, but thousands of victims of crime have been very badly let down because of their inactivity or blatant ineffectiveness.

Of course there are victims of crime that have been or feel let down by the Police but what about the thousands of people that have been helped, lives saved and criminals brought to justice because of them, we always seem to hear the negatives and not the positives because they make a more sensational story, never the stories like the Police Officer  who goes way above and beyond his call of duty to raise money for our local Hospice and that;s just one tiny little area where I live, it goes on all over the country but who want's to hear about that, not sensational enough, maybe.

I respect your opinion Neil I really do, if we all agreed on everything it would be pretty dull, let's just leave it at begging to differ and a difference of opinion, best all round don't you think? ;)

Grace :kiss

Kissing me at the end of your post is a bit Gracie,  i`m a very happily married man. 

seriously though, I DO know where you`re coming from, and years ago, i would`nt have anybody bad mouthing the force. But in the last 10 - 15 years, i, and others i`ve know, have been victims of police ineffectiveness, and in all honesty, some of their wrong doings. Unfortunately, it opened my eyes to another side of the force, and it`s going to take a lot to change that. That said, i`m an honest hard working and law abiding citizen, and i don`t bad mouth or do anything to antagonise them. I just don`t think i can trust them to do their job properly.. Circumstances in the past have proved that.

• Like 2

It was the policeman next door to my Mother in law who thought he knew better when he put a gate with a padlock on across the right of access to the back of her house, it was pointed out that as we had personally been using the right of access in excess of 12 years that he could not stop myself and the wife from free passage (he was trying to tell us that my MIL would have to come out and unlock the gate every time we wanted access). he has since moved the access further down the garden (having reluctantly moved the padlock) and built an extension there. but legally I could still knock a hole in the wall, & walk through his kitchen to access my MIL's. as he hasn't had the title deed changed yet.

Grendel

14 hours ago, Gracie said:

Don't worry Neil, I often put a kiss at the end of my posts, it doesn't make me a man eater or anything, I am as far away as you will ever get from being like that, having said that, what are you doing later? :naughty:

Grace

p.s  :kiss :naughty:

Its not a Kiss - she is just sucking the remains of that chocolate you ate yesterday off your cheek.....

• Like 2

Just a point I believe to be true. If ,as many do, use their mobility vehicle on the highway they need to be taxed insured with number plates showing exactly like any other motorist.

I know of one such person who travels down the Stalham by pass, absolutely lethal you cannot see him in the trees and the speed difference is horrifying.  

Can we please separate the TWO main styles of scooter namely my model the 4mph that dismantles into four parts and the 8mph model which can be used on the road IF it passes all the relevant rules and regulations. My model is purely an aid to getting out and about, and is NOT for road use. It does have a headlight of sorts and a peep of a horn. So please there are two main model styles, with different applications. 

cheersIain

Not quite accurate Barry, electric bicycles are making a bit of a showing these days and they have no tax, insurance or mot requirements, so no number plates either. Also I understand that the rider has no alcohol limit either as long as he can't be proven to be drunk. This is rather the loophole that was being highlighted by this thread.