So what do you think?

JennyMorgan

I think in today's society it is best not to think.

Too much thinking can only lead to disapointment, anger and frustration.

Our politicians are, quite rightly, discouraging free thinking and replacing the need with carefully thought out laws & advice which, if adhered to, will lead to a long and healthy life.

So lets look forward to an end to dangerous adventure, the in-take of toxic substances, and the freedom to do what takes our fancy. Lets look forward to becoming a scared society, afraid to venture out in case the bogey man or bogey dog gets us.

Well that's my thought for the day .... i'm now off to watch MP's playtime on the gogglebox!!

• Like 2

An interesting parallel kids and dogs. but the difference between owner and parent is far more marked.

It is only recently I have lived without a dog yet as a batchalor with the exception of my older sister, I have never lived with children. For this I am grateful. That's the history, now for the opinions.

I find that in a pub, where a dog is off the lead, should that dog approach a person and that person shows signs of not liking this, the owner will inveriably call the dog away. It is rare, no, very rare for this not to be the case.

Where a child approaches an adult, and that adult shows any sign of not liking this, the parent will look at the adult as though he was filth for not liking the child. Pubs used to be the last bastion of freedom from children. Alas no more.

Ok, so you've got kids, maybe grandkids, and possibly even some great grandkids. Good for you, I honestly hope they make you happy. Now, cuddle my Rottweiler!

• Like 3

I quite agree with that for once.

The comment in the article about the French being more dog friendly is interesting, because I am sure I read the French (especially Paris) have a big problem with dog poo - they might like dogs, but dont like picking the doo doo up.

I do know people who are also scared of dogs - and the "oh he wont hurt you" is really not going to help. Assume no one likes your dogs or kids and then if they show interest you can share their slober or sticky chocolate covered fingers around.

Problem is the good owners/parents get the bad press as well as the bad ones.

p.s Had kids, but made them grow up and had a dog as well. Will not have either again as I now like clean things and the enjoyment of not having to worry about them or find sitters (might be a bit of a problem on the kid thing as well). Oh damn, forgot about the cat!!!!!!!

pps we have friends who are alergic to the cat and are scared of it!!! - we just make sure she is either kept away from them if she comes into the room or we shut the lounge door to keep her out. Funnily enough she makes a beeline for anyone who really doesn't want a cat on their lap.

• Like 2

We don't have a dog at the moment for reasons I won't go into, we have two children, who, are the loves of my life and I would probably kill for. I accept that not all parents and dog owners realise that some people simply don't wish  other peoples animals and children jumping all over them, because I am aware of that and like to think I'm a good parent, my children are never allowed to go up to people unless invited to do so, but be rude to them and I will more than likely become a lioness and bite your head off

I think there are good and bad parents and good and bad pet owners, like I've said a million times before, it's always the bad that get the most headlines.

I don't particularly like a dog near me in a restaurant when eating but it wouldn't stop me going in again and try to accept they are a big part of peoples lives, if a pub says dog friendly and you don't like dogs, don't go in, the same applies to kids, if it's a family pub and you don't like children, don't go in, simple

Grace

• Like 7

I take that as a huge compliment coming from someone as knowlegable as your good self, MM, thank you. However, when we do finally get to compare maggots, you may like to meet my two little people, who, I think you'll find are polite and well behaved, you just might find yourself in danger of quite liking them :naughty:

Grace :kiss

• Like 8

For years I just thought myself wierd (come along now, I know you all think it too :) ) until recently I met someone with the same horrors as my own. I have something akin to a phobia, not of children, but of bodily fluids.

I cannot sit anywhere near a young child when it eats. To see a child eating with it's mouth open will quite literally make me retch, similarly a child with a runny nose. I associate a childs sticky fingers with their having just eaten so once again I would find myself 'running for the hills'.

Other bodily fluids from lower down the anatomy hold similar reactions from me but I see no reason to go into details there. So, how I would react to your "two little people" would totally depend on their age and their ability to eat in a fully adult way.

None of this would be their fault, it's all mine and I've been like this from my early twenties. Oddly enough, Shakespeare was aware of this problem, giving one of his characters the same problem. Corporal Nym is unable to kiss any woman "I cannot kiss, that is the humour of it; but, adieu."  Trust me, I know the feeling, I tried and was sick!!! End of a short relationship!

There are other inconveniences but I'm not about to bore you all with those suffice to say, if you come across someone who "dislikes" children, please allow for the possibility that there's a reason for this.

• Like 1

John, surely you are the sanest one amongst us!

Many, many years ago I had the great privilege of photographing a personal hero, Spike Milligan. Spike had earned his first million and I was to photograph him clutching a cheque for said amount. As we laughed and joked he looked at his cheque and commented 'and they call me ******* mad!'

John, having enjoyed your company, despite your lacking of a million, suitably weird, as with Mr Milligan, thus unusually sane in this day and age!

• Like 1

When our. Children were young, we went out as a family and we did not let them run  around in pubs and other public places and possibly annoy other people.If I were a dog owner, I would take a similar approach. A well-trained dog is a joy, but  I get very annoyed with dog owners who assume that everyone else is happy to be bothered by their unruly pets, especially when they allow them to jump up,steal/beg food and/or bark noisily.

And I really don't like Chris Packham!

cheers

Steve

• Like 4