CAR INSURANCE RIP OFF

SPEEDTRIPLE

Hi all,

Last year when my car insurance renewal came through, it jumped by around £70 from the previous year. Karen and i both insure our cars at the same place (no names mentioned).The previous year i payed around £190 comprehensive, and Karen payed around £160. Then mine jumped to just over £260, and Karens to around £190. Iphoned them up to say i was`nt happy, but they said although they could`nt reduce mine, they could reduce Karens by £30, which we agreed to.  I`d left it a bit late to get alternative quotes, but did get some the night before, which was nearly £100 cheaper, but to save a lot of hassle, agreed to stay with them, but said they WILL cut my premium for this year by a considerable amount, which they said they should be able to do. This morning, we got our renewals through, Karens has increased by around £20, which is quite accetable, but did they reduce mine?, this years quote........£438. That`s an increase in the region of £180 on a previous premium of around £260. I just could`nt believe it, so have just been on the Meerkats site, and got it down to £189. My insurance company will be getting a phone call either tomorrow or Saturday.  I`ve always known insurance companies are all a bunch of thieves and robbers, but this is the worst hike in percentage terms in premiums i`ve ever had, or heard about.

I forgot to say, absolutely NOTHING has changed in the last year, still only one conviction, no claims etc etc. How on earth can justify this?. And by the way, i DON`T accept the pathetic excuse "we`re paying for all the fraud etc".

• Like 2

I now always use GoCompare for house and car insurance.

Each year my renewal invoices for house structure insurance, house contents insurance, and car insurance always have a significant price increase, around 30 - 50%, even with no changes to anything.

I then always get quotes online from GoCompare, and the lowest is always about the same as I paid the year before, (eg no increase at all).

Using GoCompare is very convenient, because they retain all of the details, so all of the online form questions are pre-filled with my last years answers.

I've saved hundreds of pounds with very little effort.

The funny thing is, quite often the actual  car insurer is the AA, even when their renewal quote is 50% more, their "new business" quote through GoCompare  often has no increase at all on the previous year.

When I then ring the AA to cancel the inevitable automatic debit card renewal, they ask why I'm leaving, and when I say a cheaper quote, they ask who, and then when I say "You", they can't match it as a renewal !!

Insurance is quite unusual in having a "loyalty" penalty......

Bl**dy ridiculous.   :unsure:

Just renewed our 55 plate mini cooper fully comp with Saga for £96.36 fully comp. Sonia only does around 4K miles a year but just loves her car! 

Our previous insurer Chaucer wanted £141 which I thought wasn't too bad, but just thought I'd look around and Blimey.... what a saving on money supermarket site!

Yep you have to shop around, Caroles Jimbo came up for renewal, big increase went through one of comparison sites, about £70 cheaper with same insurance company as last year, phone call and renewal suddenly £15 less than comparison site quote

they are all a bunch of shysters

cheers

Ray

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Never leave the auto renew allowed, ticked, your premiums will go up by less if they are not sure of payment.

paul

A lot of them don't give that option unfortunately Paul.

3 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Motor insurance premiums are expected to be about 25% higher this year .. 

It is always worth shopping around. 

Also try Directline and Admiral multi car as they don't feature in the comparison sites. 

iI don`t know about Direct line but Admiral WERE one of the considerably cheaper quotes i got from the Meerkats.  Not bothered about cinema tickets though.

4 years ago when my son needed his 1st insurance after passing the driving test, the quotes given were horrendous, like others I started to look on the comparison sites. Hopefully my memory of the companies is correct, Confused had 3 best quotes as Admiral, Elephant and Bell, all 3 insurance companies and confused turned out to be the same company. Ended up with fitting a black box for the cheapest deal.

Around 2003 I bought a 300e Mercedes a 3ltr petrol estate car. I was ringing round getting quotes and tried Admiral. I spoke to a young lady who quite evidently didn't have a clue about motors. I told her the make and model, her reply was oh we don't insure sports cars, so I told her it was a five door estate car, she said oh no ALL Mercedes are sports cars, having tried to explain yet again that it was a five door family estate car, I finally lost the will to live and rang off. The result I have never again used one of these companies.

• Like 2

I noticed on another non Broads forum people were complaining about increases.

But I have always (the last 40 years) got my insurance through a broker and a quality one will use their computers to get you the lowest quote for your required amount of cover. Going direct to one of the companies leaves you inline for this sort of increase. when I've phoned around myself I've never found a cheaper bid than through the brokers.

Currently My brokers are SAGA. my old brokers got taken over by.... an insurance company and then the quotes went up by 50% in a year...so I left them.

Forget,ringing round, fill in compare the meerkat or go compare. Most brokers will guide you to a Reasonably competitive quote but they will still have at least one eye on their commissions. As another poster said they hold your details so each year you can re run the quotes without having to re-enter details.