Best Pub On The Norfolk Broads

1Drab1

White Horse, Neatishead

Best pub on the Broads? Well my colleagues at Norwich and Norfolk CAMRA, whose patch covers virtually all the Broads, certainly think so. They have just awarded the White Horse the prestigious Rural Pub of the Year award. The Town winner was the Fat Cat Brewery Tap.

Ian Stamp, Pubs Officer for the Norwich and Norfolk Branch, said “It's great to have two first-time winners of our Pub of the Year competition, and both are cracking pubs!  

"Ricky at the White Horse has taken a quiet village pub, on the verge of closure, and, following a doubtless expensive and sensitive renovation, turned it into a destination venue not just for locals, tourists and diners, with friendly staff and excellent meals, but also for beer drinkers, and a range of real ales and other craft beers which far surpasses expectations.

Ian is now the Chairman of Norwich CAMRA and I know visits the pub on a regular basis.

Back track a few years and the White Horse was one of the last unaltered pubs on the Broads apart from the White Horse at Upton. It still retained the small parlour rooms and original bar fittings. The small cosy back room had an open range fire and was small enough to hold a conversation with anyone in the room (see photo). I must say I did like it as it was but the problem was that the rooms didn’t really reflect the overall footprint of the pub. Trade was slow and the pub was in the hands of a pubco, Punch I believe. The way things were going was that it could easily have ended up as executive flats which was the fate of the Railway at Reedham. An open pub is preferable to a closed pub any day! So it is necessary to move with the times.

Fortunately the current owner came along and made a substantial investment to  sensitively renovate the pub and to turn it into the success it is today. The front rooms have been retained but the biggest change is the expansion of the former back bar into the part which was once the yard area. This has created a much bigger bar and eating area together with new toilets and a function room.

The pub now sells a selection of quality real ales including those from its own brewery. There are also a range of keg ‘craft’ ales and a wide selection of wines and spirits. The beers are normally from the quality smaller breweries both local and nationally and I’ve not seen any signs of a Doombar take over yet! :naughty:

There doesn’t seem to be any discrimination against drinkers either and I suspect it would class itself as a pub that does food.

I personally don’t like to waste valuable drinking time eating. But that’s just me! However the food is certainly very popular and from what I’ve observed is well appreciated. Like any establishment serving hundreds, indeed thousands of meals you will inevitably get the occasional hiccup. Also it must be very difficult when everyone wants feeding at the same time!

If I get a beer which is not up to scratch I take it back and complain politely but firmly. I wouldn’t go away and moan about it on a forum. I think equally if anyone does get food or service which they are not happy about, the thing to do is to speak to someone at the time, either the manager or the duty manager. In most cases they will be eager to put things right but in fairness cannot do so when you have left the pub!

The White Horse has built up an enviable reputation in a relatively short time and hopefully will provide an oasis for visitors and locals alike for years to come. cheersbar

P1060635.JPG

• Like 8

Ricky, Nice to see you here, I too consider your establishment as a "must visit" pub. It is odd though that I remember visiting the White Horse far more often than I remember leaving it!  I also have to agree that it is a little unjust to complain on a forum where one has not first leveled that complaint at the time and place of that dissatisfaction.

I hope that as you continue brewing you recognise that there is still a market for the darker less hoppy beers. I find myself spoiled for choice should I want a light hoppy beer with a bitter citrus after taste, but struggle to find that smooth dark malty beer that I know and love from nearly fifty years of over endulging in the stuff.

The other tradegy I suffer from is that I am alergic to beer, the darker more malty the greater my reaction. Thjis manifests itself with hayfever like symptoms with running nose and sometimes streaming eyes. This I ignore apart from asking for a supply paper napkins from behind the bar. I refuse to give in to my weaknesses unless it makes for a day or so off work. As I am self employed this can be tricky. I have already put myself on a formal verbal warning, but I am considering appealing againstm it and may well take myself to an industrial tribuneral. I have to add that I am no longer on speaking terms with myself.

I notice with interest that on another thread there has been some doubt as to whether or not I am an Idiot.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

years of over endulging in the stuff.

The other tradegy I suffer from is that I am alergic to beer, the darker more malty the greater my reaction

MM have you sampled Orkney Dark Island ale? Or is it a tad too sweet for your taste? With it being brewed with very soft water from a recipe by an ex Tetley brewer (I met the chap once!) It may reduce such awful discomfort as hayfever.

cheersIain

Howard, that was a very kind post and great pic. That was just how the pub was the first time I visited it when me and my now wife were dating.

mauricemynah, never heard of such a reaction to beer, yeast on the whole is good for you so I am intrigued what may cause it. If it helps I know generally keg ales (not john smiths smooth etc), like our guest keg beers normally have virtually no yeast left in them as they are force carbonated instead of leaving yeast in. Next time your in we can get you testing them.

rick

• Like 1

Maurice further research gives the options of an allergy to either, hops (not likely if dark beers are worse for you as they are generally battered less), certain yeast strains (darker beers would normally use a classic english yeast so possible) or most likely would be the use of roasted barley which isn't present in lighter pale ales but used in varying quantities in bitters and dark beers. Hope that helps

rick

13 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

The other tradegy I suffer from is that I am alergic to beer, the darker more malty the greater my reaction. Thjis manifests itself with hayfever like symptoms with running nose and sometimes streaming eyes. This I ignore apart from asking for a supply paper napkins from behind the bar. I refuse to give in to my weaknesses unless it makes for a day or so off work. As I am self employed this can be tricky. I have already put myself on a formal verbal warning, but I am considering appealing againstm it and may well take myself to an industrial tribuneral. I have to add that I am no longer on speaking terms with myself.

I'm not sure you should post about your industrial relations with yourself in public MM?