Best Pub On The Norfolk Broads

1Drab1

If I were to start a trip of good pubs it would be from the inevitable Locks at Geldeston but I wouldn't go far, just a mile or so to the Geldeston Wherry. Next stop would be the Waveney House Hotel at Beccles for a meal and a pint and then on to the Waveney Inn at Burgh St Peter, and that would be the first day taken care of! Second day I'd head to Oulton Broad, the Ivy Farm hotel for a superb lunch and fine ales. Sleep that off before an evening in both the Wherry Hotel and the Commodore. Third day I'd head for St Olaves, moor by the bridge, right outside the pub, excellent. For the evening session Reedham Ferry would be my choice. Day four then I'd head to Rockland for lunch and then Surlingham Ferry for the night and really excellent food, beer and company. Day five I'd turn round and work my way back to Geldeston for the end of my week's holiday, revisiting my choice of the best!

• Like 5

Yep, pretty much agree with Eric, Grace and Peter there. The Bridge Inn is superb and arguably the model for others to follow. I also highly rate the Dog Inn at Ludham Bridge and the Pleasure Boat is pretty good too. 

I agree with Eric, there, most Broads pubs are pretty good. There are a small handful I tend to be less keen on but there are no real horrors cheersbar

• Like 2

There are two good ones the other side of Potter Heigham  bridge, at Hickling, if you are lucky enough to get through that hole with the Pilot! They are the Pleasure Boat Inn at the staithe, and the Greyhound in the village. I don't know if The Lion is open at West Sommerton, also there is the one you can walk to from Horseymere windmill.

Enjoy your holiday and pubs where ever you manage to moor.

cheersIain

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Yep, pretty much agree with Eric, Grace and Peter there. The Bridge Inn is superb and arguably the model for others to follow. I also highly rate the Dog Inn at Ludham Bridge and the Pleasure Boat is pretty good too. 

I agree with Eric, there, most Broads pubs are pretty good. There are a small handful I tend to be less keen on but there are no real horrors cheersbar

Not talking about landlords then! Don't ask . . . . . . . . . . . . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Not talking about landlords then! Don't ask . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Thats the lion ruled out then....

Don't forget to wander off the rivers a bit, I like the decoy tavern at fritton, great walk from the moorings through the woods to the pub, 1 mile, always seems to end up in rounds with the locals, same with the ferryhouse at surlingham.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LeoMagill said:

Thats the lion ruled out then....

Don't forget to wander off the rivers a bit, I like the decoy tavern at fritton, great walk from the moorings through the woods to the pub, 1 mile, always seems to end up in rounds with the locals, same with the ferryhouse at surlingham.

Us locals can always suss out a generous 'foreigner'!!

Let me stop this nonsense right now:

Best riverside pub for eating: Waters Edge at Brammerton

Best all round pub: The one beyond Beccles. (Don't forget the first rule about Geld#%*{%)

Great pub not on the river- Kings Arms at Ludham

as for Horning you pays your money and you take your risks.....http://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/en-GB/281202/Ferry-Inn-Norfolk

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

Are we including Norwich - if so.... where to start?!

Well in my pub crawl days, the Ribs of Beef was always high on my list, the trouble was, once in there I was never that keen to move on! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

We visited the Boat this weekend, but visited a couple of waterside pubs by car, and the Ferry Inn at Horning and the Sutton Staithe Hotel, both were very good indeed. 

There was only one private boat moored at the Ferry Inn, but three or four near the electric point at Sutton Staithe, one of the Boats was a Powell's craft, a woodie, didn't quite catch the name, but it started with a "B" and the second name started with an "A" lol....

42 minutes ago, Viking23 said:

at Sutton Staithe, one of the Boats was a Powell's craft, a woodie, didn't quite catch the name, but it started with a "B" and the second name started with an "A"

Good Griff, really? :naughty: I bet there was a " Rascal " in attendance also! Ok i'll get my coat!:coat:

cheersIain

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonzo said:

The Ribs is quite decent, although the King's Head on Magdalen Street is the real ale drinker's pub - They don't do food other than snacks, but you can bring your own and the Indian across the road delivers.

We legged it out to the Dereham Road, from the Yacht Station once, to the pub/micro brewery forget its name, a right spit n sawdust place, original wooden floors, and some excellent real ales...hic!

cheersIain

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:18 AM, BroadScot said:

There are two good ones the other side of Potter Heigham  bridge, at Hickling, if you are lucky enough to get through that hole with the Pilot! They are the Pleasure Boat Inn at the staithe, and the Greyhound in the village. I don't know if The Lion is open at West Sommerton, also there is the one you can walk to from Horseymere windmill.

Enjoy your holiday and pubs where ever you manage to moor.

cheersIain

Got to second the Greyhound as its my "local" it is a quirky village pub with some excellent cloudy cider which has a dazzling effect on the SWMBO :bow Great food and Tony and Debs have a great menu and excellent staff. The garden is very "cottagey" (is that a word) in the summer months.

Got to be the Horning Ferry for me. We've been coming regularly down to the Broads now for 46 years and the great memories when we visit the Ferry keep flooding back, Its very different inside since the 70's, more's the pity, but its still a great place.

When we went last year the bar staff were really nice, the service impeccable and the food was lovely. Its great sitting outside in the sun on the first Saturday with a pint of Woodfordes, waiting to either get on the boat or in the cottage !cheers

• Like 3