Best Pub On The Norfolk Broads

1Drab1

• 1 month later...

We only occasionally plan to stop in Horning because of the difficulty in finding a mooring, so when we do it is usually the New Inn; good moorings and usually assisted by Gus. In the past the food though has been variable.

Early in March there was room on the village staithe at lunch time so we took advantage and went into the Swan for a drink. We sat in the room to the right of the door. The two different beers we tried were not to our taste, one of them being completely flat. The room was tired to say the least, with a lot of dust and the furnishings were not the cleanest so we decided not to eat there.

We walked down to the New Inn and had drinks. The pub and both toilets were fresh smelling and clean. We are back in early June so will definitely book a mooring at the New Inn and see what the food is like now.

We have eaten in the Sutton Staithe many times over recent years and have always been happy with quality, price and portion size. When we were there in March four of us ate three different meals and two of them were not up to previous standards. I believe the pub is under new management so will give them the benefit of the doubt and eat there again in June and see how they do.

Roy

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, webntweb said:

I believe the pub is under new management so will give them the benefit of the doubt and eat there again in June and see how they do.

Roy

Hi Roy,

I don't think you will be disappointed at the New Inn, the food and staff were excellent last May, when Mark the owner kindly helped me up the decking into the pub after that accident I had onboard. He also saw me back down to the boat later. Was much appreciated.

cheersIain

• Like 1

This of course, is only my opinion. But here it is anyway

The Swan - Horning.  I like the interior here, I like the food too as it always seems just a little more 'special' and formal than other pubs - However, on my recent visit we were kept waiting a long time for the food to arrive once the order had been placed (this in my experience is usual here).  We had starters which were fine - the soup - however, Shiela wanted the Steak and I wanted a Burger (contrary to popular belief I have some addiction to 'Fat Boy Burgers' like to order these as a good test of a pub because it is a simple enough dish to do). 

We waited an age and when eventually the food came, the plate was hot - but the food was luke warm, indeed Sheila had to send hers back for her steak was actually cold.  Another couple to us also complained about the wait and the fact their food was not hot - clearly it was a case of being cooked, then left under the heat lamps awaiting collection.  Now this may be because of a staff shortage that evening because the waitress (one) was running about everywhere but in such a case I wonder why the bar staff could not have stepped in to help?

The Wherry - Oulton Broad. I arrived and was keen to try the Carvery as this was a 'Castle Carvery' and I am sued to Toby.  First off it was not very busy but oddly one has to find a table, make a note of the number and head to the bar to order food and drinks, despite there being two waiters working the tables.  You wait in line for some time, order and are given a slip - you then take this to the Carvery to order. 

I was not at all impressed and not a patch of Toby for the meats, and vegetable section - it all seemed very much 'portion controlled' and in colour coded dishes, the gravy was weak the roast potatoes had a 'warmed up' taste to them - to my surprise once you have eaten a waiter came over to ask if I wanted a desert (i declined) but if they can clear plates and take desert orders why not take the food order as well.

Ferry House - Surlingham. Arrived in the early afternoon, lots of wood and materials stacked up for quay heading renewal which will please many.  Went in for a drink, lovely atmosphere and returned later in evening for a meal.  I had Brie wedges to start which I love and always just reminds me of 'good old fashion' restaurants I used to go to as a kid then I opted for the Steak, which was perfect in every way - cooked just right, lots of of it and nice fresh cut chips and vegetables.  The menu is comprehensive and all cooked to order, a lot of the food is prepared fresh onsite and I love the fact his pub has its own charm, cosy and warm not modern and tarred with the 'new pub feel'.  If you eat here do as I, slip having any food beforehand so you can fit it in.  I cruised to here from Oulton Broad just for the food.

The Ferry Inn - Horning. I was limited on choices for places to moor and to eat so after much debate in my mind opted to go to the Ferry Inn, despite their very poor hygiene rating 'how bad could it be' - pretty dire actually.  No, not a judgement of any backroom hygiene etc but the food - oh deer.  I waited at the pointless sign asking people to wait and be seated (why when once you have been you need to go to bar to order and provide a table number).

When no one came, I picked out a table - no menus, the one next to me did (A4 sheet laminated) and not as comprehensive as I remember from the past. I then notice I have no salt or pepper, table opposite has only pepper, one along the way only salt.  I order the Steak 'cooked on the char- grill for that steakhouse flavour' the menu proclaimed.  It duly arrived along with some unbranded sachets of condiments (a personal hate of mine - if they must use sachets at least buy in branded ones) the Steak was not char-grilled but clearly pan fried, pretty dry button mushrooms out of a tin and luke warm peas.  The chips were not bad, the onion rings were at least real onion and not ‘catering pack’ onion rings like you get in Iceland.

I was not impressed and the seating is getting tired and generally the service was pretty poor – once the food was dropped off nobody bothered to come back to ask how it was, or collect my plate after I had finished my drink I got up and vowed not to return to eat, but keep this as a drinking place only.

New Inn - Horning. I did not eat here, but int he company of guests on Broad Ambition we had a couple of rounds of drinks and were a party of only a few customers in the pub - certainly not busy.  I know the pub is under new management, I spent New Years here and found it very nice, however a rather officious woman arrived asking if we were staying overnight to eat. No we said, to which we were told in no uncertain terms that they prefer people who are not to leave by 4:00pm.  I understand this - certainly in the high season, but on a quiet day in April surly this rule should be used depending on trade?  They missed out on at least another round of drinks being bought by us - and the other party who had eaten also got up and left - perhaps they too would have bought another round.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

This of course, is only my opinion. But here it is anyway

The Swan - Horning.  I like the interior here, I like the food too as it always seems just a little more 'special' and formal than other pubs - However, on my recent visit we were kept waiting a long time for the food to arrive once the order had been placed (this in my experience is usual here).  We had starters which were fine - the soup - however, Shiela wanted the Steak and I wanted a Burger (contrary to popular belief I have some addiction to 'Fat Boy Burgers' like to order these as a good test of a pub because it is a simple enough dish to do). 

We waited an age and when eventually the food came, the plate was hot - but the food was luke warm, indeed Sheila had to send hers back for her steak was actually cold.  Another couple to us also complained about the wait and the fact their food was not hot - clearly it was a case of being cooked, then left under the heat lamps awaiting collection.  Now this may be because of a staff shortage that evening because the waitress (one) was running about everywhere but in such a case I wonder why the bar staff could not have stepped in to help?

The Wherry - Oulton Broad. I arrived and was keen to try the Carvery as this was a 'Castle Carvery' and I am sued to Toby.  First off it was not very busy but oddly one has to find a table, make a note of the number and head to the bar to order food and drinks, despite there being two waiters working the tables.  You wait in line for some time, order and are given a slip - you then take this to the Carvery to order. 

I was not at all impressed and not a patch of Toby for the meats, and vegetable section - it all seemed very much 'portion controlled' and in colour coded dishes, the gravy was weak the roast potatoes had a 'warmed up' taste to them - to my surprise once you have eaten a waiter came over to ask if I wanted a desert (i declined) but if they can clear plates and take desert orders why not take the food order as well.

Ferry House - Surlingham. Arrived in the early afternoon, lots of wood and materials stacked up for quay heading renewal which will please many.  Went in for a drink, lovely atmosphere and returned later in evening for a meal.  I had Brie wedges to start which I love and always just reminds me of 'good old fashion' restaurants I used to go to as a kid then I opted for the Steak, which was perfect in every way - cooked just right, lots of of it and nice fresh cut chips and vegetables.  The menu is comprehensive and all cooked to order, a lot of the food is prepared fresh onsite and I love the fact his pub has its own charm, cosy and warm not modern and tarred with the 'new pub feel'.  If you eat here do as I, slip having any food beforehand so you can fit it in.  I cruised to here from Oulton Broad just for the food.

The Ferry Inn - Horning. I was limited on choices for places to moor and to eat so after much debate in my mind opted to go to the Ferry Inn, despite their very poor hygiene rating 'how bad could it be' - pretty dire actually.  No, not a judgement of any backroom hygiene etc but the food - oh deer.  I waited at the pointless sign asking people to wait and be seated (why when once you have been you need to go to bar to order and provide a table number).

When no one came, I picked out a table - no menus, the one next to me did (A4 sheet laminated) and not as comprehensive as I remember from the past. I then notice I have no salt or pepper, table opposite has only pepper, one along the way only salt.  I order the Steak 'cooked on the char- grill for that steakhouse flavour' the menu proclaimed.  It duly arrived along with some unbranded sachets of condiments (a personal hate of mine - if they must use sachets at least buy in branded ones) the Steak was not char-grilled but clearly pan fried, pretty dry button mushrooms out of a tin and luke warm peas.  The chips were not bad, the onion rings were at least real onion and not ‘catering pack’ onion rings like you get in Iceland.

I was not impressed and the seating is getting tired and generally the service was pretty poor – once the food was dropped off nobody bothered to come back to ask how it was, or collect my plate after I had finished my drink I got up and vowed not to return to eat, but keep this as a drinking place only.

New Inn - Horning. I did not eat here, but int he company of guests on Broad Ambition we had a couple of rounds of drinks and were a party of only a few customers in the pub - certainly not busy.  I know the pub is under new management, I spent New Years here and found it very nice, however a rather officious woman arrived asking if we were staying overnight to eat. No we said, to which we were told in no uncertain terms that they prefer people who are not to leave by 4:00pm.  I understand this - certainly in the high season, but on a quiet day in April surly this rule should be used depending on trade?  They missed out on at least another round of drinks being bought by us - and the other party who had eaten also got up and left - perhaps they too would have bought another round.

For me its easily  the Ferry House at Surlingham  - although that should not take anything  away from  the Bridge at Acle on the other side of the water (Okay guilty of  hedging my bets but have taken the liberty of  evolving  the question somewhat to having  a favourite on each side )

At Surlingham the welcome and service  is second to none,  you can use the extra fendering they  supply for  high tide , they  are happy to lend  us the adapter for use on the tricity socket on the down stream end supply. Inside the atmosphere is exactly what we  like from a  pub , but so rarely find. Food is always excellent, served well and portions are always "full" and nothing sacrificed on quality. Choice  on the menus is also great and even when busy the service from the staff is never found wanting.  Whilst other locations have some or many of these attributes, we have not found  another  one with all of them  and so consistently.                

• Like 4

I have always found it surprising how many people sing the praises of the Wherry when the experiences we and people we know have had there have been dire. The last meal I had was a  filet of salmon  in a sauce which in fact was more dried skin than sauce , a large quantity of very dry large "new" potatoes in their skins. and a whole head of broccoli, which gave the impression of having been slung on the plate  - very unappetising to look at to say the least. The salmon was done to death. I left  90% of the meal and was given a refund on complaining. the waitress looked at it and turned up her nose in an understanding gesture. Previous experiences have been no better. There won't be any more as I'd never go again.  Have never tried the carvery as I'm not a fan of those at the best of times. reminds me of School dinners! Also, IMO, a restaurant/pub has got to be really excellent to get those right I believe. And the Wherry simply doesn't fall into that category. So I'm not surprised at London Rascal's lack of enthusiasm for the place,

Regards,

Carole

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Not forgetting The Reedcutter at cantley... Very good value when we stopped there and they was serving all day ... 

For the whole week we was on the southern broads we didn't have a bad meal at all.. All was very good and friendly..

New inn at Rockland St Mary 

The Reedcutter Cantley

Coldham hall Tavern Surlingham

Waters Edge Bramerton

Looking forward to trying Ferryhouse at Surlingham later on this year..

Steak at Waters Edge

image.png

• Like 1

Sorry for not answering.. this is too tough of a question to answer really... Most pubs on the broads are brilliant.. (With exception of 1 or 2). I had to narrow it down to my favorites, for food and country feel, it would be the dukes head at Sommerleyton. For a drink and ton's of atmosphere then the locks inn at Geldeston.. You can't go to the broads and motor/sail past these two... 

• Like 4

we've been using the Rushcutter at Thorpe for years as it's consistently good with unusual dishes invariably on the menu. We have to go by car from Brundall which is the only downside. Also, the Cantley Cock is well worth a visit. With old fashioned country pub atmosphere and great food, Booking in advance is a necessity even for lunch times such is it's popularity . We took some visitors from S. Africa last year and they were enthralled.

regards,

Carole

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

Sorry for not answering.. this is too tough of a question to answer really... Most pubs on the broads are brilliant.. (With exception of 1 or 2). I had to narrow it down to my favorites, for food and country feel, it would be the dukes head at Sommerleyton. For a drink and ton's of atmosphere then the locks inn at Geldeston.. You can't go to the broads and motor/sail past these two... 

You'll have trouble motoring/sailing past  The Locks :naughty: :party:

1 hour ago, addicted said:

we've been using the Rushcutter at Thorpe for years as it's consistently good with unusual dishes invariably on the menu. We have to go by car from Brundall which is the only downside. Also, the Cantley Cock is well worth a visit. With old fashioned country pub atmosphere and great food, Booking in advance is a necessity even for lunch times such is it's popularity . We took some visitors from S. Africa last year and they were enthralled.

regards,

Carole

Another vote from me for The Cock. Simply great atmosphere and amazing value!

2 minutes ago, Poppy said:

You'll have trouble motoring/sailing past  The Locks :naughty: :party:

I'm trying to type short and sweet so my boss don't see.. :P  

And Poppy, we was south all season last year and always had an excuse not to squeeze under beccles bridge.. :( this year it will happen.. cheers  

• Like 3

Agree, the Locks is a must. Superb pub. I've heard a great deal about the Cantley Cock (all good) but a bit far for me on foot sadly. A car job I think. I believe the pub has been in the same hands for a good while and built up an enviable reputation. cheers

• Like 1

Last week the Swan at Horning managed 3/4 very nice meals. Mine, a steak, was too tough to eat. I should have sent it back, but I didn't want to spoil the enjoyment of the others.

We stayed overnight as we tend to do early season and lay up time. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The cooked breakfast was not good, in future I think we will stick with the free, and generous, continental. The breakfast room is lovely, timbered and comfortable, overlooking the river; I could stay all day!

In season, it's always The New Inn for an overnight in Horning. cheers

I have long since learnt not to consider ordering the steak at the Swan, and as to service, they simply don't learn.  It doesn't matter how quiet it is or how busy but you always have to wait to be served. Sometimes the food is good, sometimes okay and sometimes poor but for convenience I keep using it.  As to the New Inn it is very good but I know exactly what Robin means - they also need to learn at times.  As to the Ferry despite its dire food ratings I find the food remarkable tolerable although this portion of potatoes did cause a few laughs.  My sister in law asked if you could have new potatoes with her fish rather than chips...........

IMG_20160104_191949806.jpg

• Like 4

My findings from last week,

White Horse Neatishead. Very good beer, nice range of real ale and craft keg. The food we had was nice, but felt the menu was a bit limited, a bit boring. They turned away a lot of people on the two nights we were in there, boaters were legging it back to their boats to find alternative moorings to get food. This is despite there being empty tables. You would have thought they would do food from 4 or 5 on a Thursday - Saturday to get the boaters that have moored up to drop boats back. 

Lion at Thurne. Good menu, food was of very good hearty quality. Beer was very standard, but great condition. There was music from One Hand Clapping the night we were in there, had a fantastic evening.

Red Lion Coltishall. Very very good beer, and cider. A bunch in the pub make their own cider, which is sold at the bar. Wife voted this her favourite cider of the week. Spent a couple of hours talking to the staff and locals, probably my favourite drinking pub of our visit, but it was very nicely set out, wife was very happy in there.

Recruiting Sargent Horstead. One of the best meals we have eaten anywhere, absolutely fantastic. I had a monster steak that was perfectly seasoned and cooked, the starters were fantastic and very imaginative, good beer as well, including Humpty Dumpty from Reedham. We go the last empty table, people were being turned away from a full pub/restaurant on a Tuesday night, it was great. Photo below of the steak, the knife was the size of a small sword.

20160426_185843.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Jon

Very helpful and balanced reviews, many thanks cheers

The White Horse is an interesting one. My colleagues at Norwich CAMRA have voted it rural pub of the year and it has won many plaudits, deservedly so. But I do wonder if it's possible to take an eye off the ball occasionally? 

Also agree with the Red Lion, excellent pub IMHO and the landlord certainly knows his beer. 

Recruiting Sergeant is renowned for its grub. The beer used to be a bit pedestrian but recently they have been selling quality local ales such as Grain and Humpty Dumpty cheersbar really glad you enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

Favourite pub? Has to be The Castle Norwich, just up from the Yacht Station but I doubt if many of you would even contemplate going there. :naughty: Superb beer garden though, for those brave enough!

Fred

9465922095_5b3be88dc7_z.jpg

• Like 2

cheers Howard, I will chuck some NBSS scores in for them tomorrow.

Just remember I have missed one

Maltsters Ramworth. Beer was OK, perfectly good session ales. Food was poor, my local Wetherspoons does a better job. It would be the only moorings I would probably cook onboard and go in the pub for a beer. I would be interested in the pizza den when its up and running.

The White Horse is interesting. If it was in my branch area I would be a happy chap, it seems to cater to drinkers and eaters, and the beers brewed on site that I tried were good.  It was being used by locals for a drink, and had a nice feel, and with  CAMRAs emphasis on beer quality it ticked all the boxes for me. Its just seemed odd how they organised the food side of things. There were four blokes on a boat moored near us, they went in to the pub, had one drink then left so they could get a take away. They obviously liked a drink from the number of bottles that went in the recycling, the pub probably lost £200+ of takings from that lot, there were several other groups and couples that also had one drink then left.

• Like 1

Our favourites are the New Inn, Horning. King's Arms, Ludham - good carvery on Sundays, Dog at Ludham Bridge, White Horse, Neatishead and Swan at Stalham. Yet to try the food at the Stokes by Ferry. Last time we tried the Recruiting Sergeant (last August), we found it a bit underwhelming.

cheers

Stevd

New Inn Horning

Good honest fare and friendly service from most of the staff. Some of the senior staff can come across a bit mistrustful of their customers which does put rather a downer on any bon-homie that might otherwise prevail (and does when they are not about). Should I say a matronly attitude is better suited to running a hospital than a pub? Mostly people in pubs don't tend to consider their life chances before discharging themselves in some cases perhaps they should... The flip side is that it is a well run outfit!

Pleasure Boat Inn

Good food, beer, company and staff, I personally suspect this is the landlord's fault as he is a star and will put himself out to provide good customer service. The only issue with this pub is that the boat you hire has a fair chance of not being able to take you there. But if you can thread the needle with your boat then this is fantastic part of the broads to visit.

Kings Head Coltishall

First class food, probably the best in the area. The prices reflect this but I would say that the food more than justifies it.

Swan Hotel

Probably the most picturesque pub/hotel on the broads. Very few things feel more 'broads' to me than having a lunch time beer in the sun here before sailing off for the afternoon. Nip across the green and grab some sausage rolls from the bakery to eat while mud weighted on the nearby broad...

Maltsters Ranworth

This is one of those rare places that manages to do it all. You can have a good time in this pub either eating the food or drinking the beer. The staff and management have real character and a friendly inclusive attitude. In the high season you may need to hire a dinghy and moor on the broad to be sure of getting ashore. It is either that or you have to play the silly 5am musical chairs game. If you visit Ranworth you have to take in the view from the top of the church.

BBQ Salhouse

This is generally better than a pub can hope to match even if you do have to do it yourself. It is a beautifully kept area and an example of conservation of the right kind (people are included).

• Like 3