Best Pub On The Norfolk Broads

1Drab1

It's just as well we are all different in our likes and dislikes. Though there are no broadland pubs I 'dislike' there are some I prefer to others. I love the white Horse Neatishead, and the Pleasure Boat Hickling. The Recruiting Sergeant and the Red Lion at the Coltishall end are 'must visits' for me as are Sutton Staithe and The Swan Stalham. Lower on my list even though very highly thought of by most forumites here are Acle Bridge and Horning New Inn. I should point out that I rarely eat in pubs so my views are based more on the quality of the beer and the general ambiance plus of course the friendliness of the people behind the bar.

The Maltsters isn't one of my favourites but I still like it enough to visit pretty regularly, much the same as the Ferry Horning for me. The Kings Arms Ludham is not so hot for me, I find the ale rather expensive and am not too keen on all the TVs in there, I do however keep going in there, but that's often in the hope of seeing a chap called Geoff, who used to live in Sawbridgeworth. Somehow our paths rarely seem to cross. Finally I do like the Lion at Thurne with good beer and a friendly landlord (and Yes I do know) .

Oh well, That's my rundown of the pubs I use a lot. Those I haven't mentioned are in the middle range of my taste, often visited but rarely aimed for.

• Like 1

I'd certainly give another thumbs up for the Pleasure Boat. The beer has always been good for me and they are not afraid to stock quality local guests. Cider too. I've always found it friendly, reasonably priced and the garden is one of the nicest places on the Broads to sit out on a sunny day. cheersbar

• Like 3

Re. The New Inn , we overnighted there Thursday and the food is now a definite cut above any of the other waterside establishments (not got to the Woods End yet this year) _ much smaller menu than previously but superb quality. Two starters and two mains left us change from £40 and no room for puds! Very well kept Ghost Ship and Wherry, Abbot was on too but didn't go there after a couple of each of the others. The new bogs are quite luxurious, all dark marble and parquet type flooring. Gus, thank goodness, never changes.

• Like 2

I know I go on about the New Inn but I agree It just seems too get better.We have been going to the pub for about 10 12 years.The food has improved to the point where they are not far off Michelin star standard.The waters edge is good so to is the White horse at loddon and it's name sake  at Neatishead overall  food in pubs has got alot better over the years.

I remember  when food first came to pubs,it was salted crisps (which came with a little  blue bag of salt).Then along came cheese and onion.Then progressed to dry cheese and tomato  or ham and mustard  rolls.

What ever happens Gus will get boats moored.

Ian

• Like 1

Hi all,

thought I best join and respond to comments to clear up the foodie points,

all of our dishes are made from scratch on site and we limit the amount of orders we take to ensure everything leaves in a prompt manner (10people every 20mins generally) it pains me to turn away custom, I am sure my accountant hates me for it but we do it to maintain standards. 

We have seats in the pub for 130 people but our max amount of covers we can do in a service is roughly 100 so it is never a case of empty tables mean we have space to eat.

brundallnavy I wish you had mentioned your concerns when you were in as I would have happily changed your meals, if you don't say anything I can't help you.

we are not a pub that will be for everyone but we always try to please

always available to answer questions

rick

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Lastdraft said:

Anyone have an opinion on The Yare at Brundall ?  I have mine, I may or may not share it on here because it could of course just be me ! 

Went there once. Best I not share my opinions either.......

• Like 1

I have never had a bad meal there, I wish I could say that of other well liked establishments.

I can understand people not liking the pub's decor, the girls bringing out the food are always helpful, it is a drinkers pub with plenty of characters at the bar.

Tan likes their steak & ale pie (one of their best sellers) or one of their salads, me the fish.

Regards

Alan  

1 minute ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I have never had a bad meal there, I wish I could say that of other well liked establishments.

We did. 'School dinner' roast, Summer pudding still frozen in the middle.  " Nobody else has complained" . Shall I go on?

4 hours ago, BroadScot said:

In simple terms.....what suits one in one place, may not in another. These days, I think we should be grateful we have any pubs left to go too!

cheersIain

True indeed Iain. If they are not turned into Co-ops, McDonalds or Paddy Power they are sold off as executive flats. two guns

Good to see Rick on the Forum too. cheersbar I'll post a bit more on the White Horse later.

The Yare is OK. It's never going to blow you away with the beer or the grub but it does what it says on the tin ..... most of the time :-) I've been in often enough.

• Like 5

Hi Bob

Although we haven't been in for a couple of years now, the last time we did I had one of the best steaks ever, good quality home made chips, the kiddies meals were just the right portion, good wine and beer. The added bonus being after you've had a couple, it's not too far to stumble back to the boat, quite the feat in heels, I can tell you lol cheers 

Grace

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob48 said:

does anybody have any views on " The Rising Sun " at Coltishall ?

There is a connection with the guy opening (hopefully) the Lord Nelson at Reedham. He has, or did have, the lease on the Rising Sun and I think he did have another pub in North Norfolk. I believe it's owned by one of the big pubco's and it would be great to see it sold off to someone like Rick I suspect the Pubco won't want to lose the opportunity to milk more leaseholders in the future.