Fishing

Poppy

Just seen posted on a Broads Facebook group, " What's the fishing like?"

'Muppet' doesn't start to describe it!

The Coarse fishing season ended OVER TWO WEEKS AGO - on 14th March to be precise, and opens again at midnight on 15th June lest anyone is unsure.

No - there isn't a break for Easter and Whitsun, that 'concession' ended many years ago!

• Like 7

One solution to this scrap that pathetic rule all together with canals and lakes open all year no wonder people think its ok to fish the tidals at this time of the year. How can you have 1 rule for canals, lakes and another for the tidal rivers and they wonder why there is a lack of anglers wanting to fish rivers when you cant fish them in april, may and half of june when the weather is at its best. I know Dave Harrell is trying his best to get the rule overturned and us true river anglers should all stick together and support him.

Fish and wildlife need a little peace poppy they have had that for the last 5 months if indeed they need that little bit of peace. Agree with bayleaf if that is the case boating, walking etc would have to be banned aswell ive seen dog walkers let there dogs run wild in the reeds while out for a walk that is one thing I don't intend on doing if I was going fishing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbream said:

One solution to this scrap that pathetic rule all together with canals and lakes open all year no wonder people think its ok to fish the tidals at this time of the year. How can you have 1 rule for canals, lakes and another for the tidal rivers and they wonder why there is a lack of anglers wanting to fish rivers when you cant fish them in april, may and half of june when the weather is at its best. I know Dave Harrell is trying his best to get the rule overturned and us true river anglers should all stick together and support him.

Personally I think all 'true' river anglers should support John Wilson and the river close season. If people want to fish in the close season then they can fish for trout or carp on lakes and mud puddles. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, bigbream said:

Fish and wildlife need a little peace poppy they have had that for the last 5 months if indeed they need that little bit of peace. Agree with bayleaf if that is the case boating, walking etc would have to be banned aswell ive seen dog walkers let there dogs run wild in the reeds while out for a walk that is one thing I don't intend on doing if I was going fishing.

Got to say that for the last five months I have had some excellent fishing on the Broads. Why give them a rest when it is lawful, and productive, to fish for them?

23 minutes ago, bigbream said:

ha ha support John :clapWilson is that why he upped sticks and moved to Thailand.

Although I never much liked the man, often met him on Oulton Broad, he is a damned good angler and one who's opinion deserves respect. As one who now suffers from arthritis I can only but agree with one of his stated reasons for going to Thailand, that being that the warmth & weather out there is much kinder to arthritic joints.  

• Like 1

I know this won't go down well with many but I love the close season. No fishing gear spread all along the moorings and grumpy looks from fishermen on the bank as you dare to pass them on the river. I know it's not all of you and we do try and avoid disturbing folk fishing wherever possible. :hardhat:

• Like 8

We have hired in and out of the fishing season - hubby tends to fish in June when we go for a week after the season starts again. And other times when we go for a short break he concentrates on his photography instead, a nice balance.

We were out when the closed season started and didn't see anyone fishing for the rest of that week.

• Like 1

I think that the close season on rivers should be retained for the sake of ALL the wildlife, and can't understand why canals are exempt.However the thought of spending the close season fishing for carp while sleeping in a tent behind a battery of buzzers, with everything covered in camo  fills me with horror ! on the odd occasion when I fish for carp its with a fly rod or float tackle. 

Too many anglers come in to fishing with no watercraft skills and think all you need is a bolt rig, boilie and buzzer to succeed. The present carp culture is appalling to me, if ever there was a branch of angling that tries to solve problems when none exist its carping ! Rig of the month and the big chuck to the other side of the pond, not my scene, man.

Still, the upside is it keeps them off the rivers so more room for me ! :naughty:

• Like 5

I caught my biggest carp on a float rod, with a bunch of maggot, no massive carp rod or buzzing bite alarms, it nearly pulled me in though, panic stricken and with my husband calming me down and talking me through, I proudly landed a 13 pounds and seven ounce carp, I strutted around like the queen of carp fishing afterwards lol :party:

Grace

• Like 6

Just now, Gracie said:

Caught a couple of smaller carp that way, Charlie, early evening, water like a mill pond, no wind, absolute magic

Grace

Yup watching the offering being mouthed, then the take. A fight straight to the fish from the rod tip you feel the power of the fish. Nothing better than spending a few hours just doing that, and catching no gimmicks no frills just you ve the fish .............

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I caught my biggest carp on a float rod, with a bunch of maggot, no massive carp rod or buzzing bite alarms, it nearly pulled me in though, panic stricken and with my husband calming me down and talking me through, I proudly landed a 13 pounds and seven ounce carp, I strutted around like the queen of carp fishing afterwards lol :party:

Grace

Thats great !

You are the queen of carp fishing !

If you're ecstatic with a 14 pounder that's what its all about I watched Gryff Ryffe Jones On Rivers today, a guy fished for one particular carp for 300 nights out of 365 last year and caught a total of 3 fish.But not the one he wanted.

Presumably it was the biggest in the lake.

Shame really.:naughty:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dajen said:

Because commercial fisheries don't in general give a damn about the fish they are interested only in how much dosh they can make,

If you knew how much said comercial fisheries pay for the big adult carp in their waters, they care about the fishes health trust me... But yes in all business a profit has to be made, so of course they love the anglers paying to fish for said big fish... I might add I'm not an avid carp angler either, these days i pleasure fish only... Fished compitions for prize money from the 60's to the early 90's... So yes even i fished for a good while for profit... I too have fished for over 60 years and still do for pleasure

Charlie

• Like 1