News From The BA

JennyMorgan

10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

No, they are governed by the Broads Act legislation.

Are they similar? Yes, but only in part, e.g. planning. 

That's what I figured , I think country file need a bit of a rethink on this , imagine if the broads won and then got stripped of the award because they weren't eligible in the first place :51_scream:

45 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

It does work and in part the editor is wrong, for one thing the Broads is only branded as a national park and then only for marketing purposes, no other reason.

Thank you for your email. We have had many complaints such as yours and we have looked into this matter in some depth. We have spoken at length to National Parks UK (www.nationalparks.gov.uk) who state categorically that The Broads is a National Park and that it is governed by National Park legislation. I include their statement below. “The Broads is a National Park, albeit designated slightly differently. The Environment Act 1995 revised original National Park legislation from 1949 and set out two statutory purposes for National Parks in England and Wales: - Conserve and enhance the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage - Promote opportunities for the understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of National Parks by the public. The Broads is designated under the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Act 1988 due to an additional purpose giving priority to waterway access for boat users. The Broads National Park is funded in the same way as England’s other Parks, by government National Park grant – it collects additional revenue through its waterway tolls. The Scottish National Parks are also designated differently, to accommodate additional purposes for economic development and renewable energy, but are part of the UK’s National Park system. The Broads and our Scottish parks are very much accepted by the other National Parks across England and Wales.” With this in mind, I am completely happy to include The Broads in our annual awards in this category. Please feel free to contact me should you require any further information about this. Kind regards Fergus Collins Editor, BBC Countryfile Magazine

Does Fergus have an e-mail address?

I have no doubt that this reply was written under the guidance of the BBC legal dept. so I have to assume it is factually correct, I would however question the statement regarding funding since it is written to imply that The Broads are funded by NP grant with some "additional revenue" coming from tolls, whereas I understand the actual split between NP grant and tolls to be very near to 50/50.

I

56 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

It does work and in part the editor is wrong, for one thing the Broads is only branded as a national park and then only for marketing purposes, no other reason.

Thank you for your email. We have had many complaints such as yours and we have looked into this matter in some depth. We have spoken at length to National Parks UK (www.nationalparks.gov.uk) who state categorically that The Broads is a National Park and that it is governed by National Park legislation. I include their statement below. “The Broads is a National Park, albeit designated slightly differently. The Environment Act 1995 revised original National Park legislation from 1949 and set out two statutory purposes for National Parks in England and Wales: - Conserve and enhance the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage - Promote opportunities for the understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of National Parks by the public. The Broads is designated under the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Act 1988 due to an additional purpose giving priority to waterway access for boat users. The Broads National Park is funded in the same way as England’s other Parks, by government National Park grant – it collects additional revenue through its waterway tolls. The Scottish National Parks are also designated differently, to accommodate additional purposes for economic development and renewable energy, but are part of the UK’s National Park system. The Broads and our Scottish parks are very much accepted by the other National Parks across England and Wales.” With this in mind, I am completely happy to include The Broads in our annual awards in this category. Please feel free to contact me should you require any further information about this. Kind regards Fergus Collins Editor, BBC Countryfile Magazine

Does Fergus have an e-mail address?

Fergus's email is Fergus.Collins@immediate.co.uk. He also copied his reply to Carys Matthews <Carys.Matthews@immediate.co.uk> and Maria Hodson <Maria.Hodson@immediate.co.uk>

I was directed by the BBC to http://www.immediate.co.uk/contact-us/

You will not be surprised to think I think this is a load of 'ol squit about not a lot! And I am sure the same people who normally do so, will say otherwise! It is a competition for goodness sake and you can pick up thousands of publications and internet references saying that the Broads are a National Park - when its not exactly! 

But we all know what the "exact" position is but as The Broads are in the same "broad" genre, I can see nothing wrong - it is after all a marketing exercise and proves absolutely nothing. I would be quite happy as a result to vote for the Broads for what it is.

Before you all go off the deep end at me however, be well aware I know of the issues and will be standing up to be counted IF push ever came to shove and WHEN it matters if I think it appropriate!

• Like 6

When is a National Park not a National Park?

My concern is that if the unenlightened public and politicians put the Broads into the same "pigeon hole" as a National Park, before long there will be restrictions on boating and navigation since those activities are not within the average understanding of what a National Park is and should allow. 

my concern is that if the websites are stating it is thus now, then in 10/ 20  years time how many people will remember the for marketing purposes only part, since all their online searches will just show it as a national park, and that will include the officials searching.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

my concern is that if the websites are stating it is thus now, then in 10/ 20  years time how many people will remember the for marketing purposes only part, since all their online searches will just show it as a national park, and that will include the officials searching.

It is already happening, witness the response from the editor of Countryfile Magazine.

• Like 2

All marketing for the Broads is fine in my book its the in accuracy's that annoy me , I'm fairly sure that the BBC and especially country file know who DEFRA are and they would do well to read what they think on the issue .

Putting a Ferrari badge on a Alfa Romeo  doesn't mean its a Ferrari , its merely masquerading as something its clearly is not which isn't spotted but those that dont know  the truth .

2 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

All marketing for the Broads is fine in my book its the in accuracy's that annoy me , I'm fairly sure that the BBC and especially country file know who DEFRA are and they would do well to read what they think on the issue .

Putting a Ferrari badge on a Alfa Romeo  doesn't mean its a Ferrari , its merely masquerading as something its clearly is not which isn't spotted but those that dont know  the truth .

but in 20 years time when someone does a google image search and finds a previously unknown ferrari, and there is nobody left who knows that in reality it was just a misbadged Alfa Romeo, then suddenly a 'lost' ferrari model is found.

10 minutes ago, Islander said:

Seems we have been a National Park for some time now.

image.jpeg.52ac48389d78f6d0a49a22d3f652ad81.jpegimage.jpeg.b319cf7a3180987144196dd5cd31b5e6.jpeg

The official whatever, where have I heard that term before? Who awards 'official' status? That seemingly anyone can award themselves official status does make the whole thing laughable! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can just imagine a letter from "Cheesed Off" in Chigwell Mount writing to the Observer.

Broads National Park - Not what we were expecting!

Last weekend my wife and I decided to make a trip the Norfolk Broads National Park since we had read so much about how quiet and idyllic the parks are. we looked on the "net" and found some suitable spot on the bank of the river ant. As we were going into the country we decided to take the Range Rover, fortunately although very narrow the roads were dry so managed to reach this riverbank without using 4WD.

The spot did not disappoint, beside a narrow winding river with a wonderful view of the Norfolk landscape, we laid down the tartan blanket and started to picnic, well, we'd hardly got the cork out of the "Bolly" before a boat came past, we looked at each other surprised.... Do they allow this we asked ourselves, before we could answer another came past in the other direction, and then a few more. Then to top it all one tied up to the river bank blocking or view completely, we figured that really cannot be allowed, anyway a man came out of one the houses and started to argue with the family whose children were now running amok on the previously peaceful riverbank which confirmed to us that it is not allowed.

This should be controlled.

Cheesed Off from Chigwell Mount

Surely, you can't help but notice that many of you are being backed into positions where you suggest things like:

voting against the Broads in a national competition,

trolling many people seeking publicity for the Broads by commenting in a negative way (when you must know this is precisely the thing that the Broads are allowed to do, use the NP status in marketing)

and coming up with negative scenarios like the above.

Is this really a good thing? 

If the marketing to promote the Norfolk Broads as a National Park was:

50% directed towards National Park features and opportunities

and 50% directed towards the holiday, boating and navigation based opportunities I'd be happy.

15 hours ago, grendel said:

As I said on the other thread, slowly the park is accepted by the masses as a national park, until at some point nobody remembers that it was just for marketing purposes

And that’s exactly why we need those local eyes and ears that help keep us all informed. 

I think (for what its worth) that those who feel strongly against NP status  should continue to register their protests otherwise if in years to come, if an application became a reality, one of the arguments "for" maybe " we've been calling it a NP for the past ....years and no-one has objected".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1