Boats Above Their Station.

Londonlad1985

28 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

Following some great Easter weekend picture shenanigans I am back in the office with the Barnes webcam on and noticed some boats have appeared on the roof of Chunky's pet food... or am I having a mad moment?! 

20180403_105106.png

That's one way to get to the other side!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've been puzzling over that. In fact it's an optical illusion - the boats are moored stern on a hundred yards or more further upstream opposite the grey building with white window cill you can see behind the red car.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Re the screen pic.  ... It's one of the reasons painting water scenes is so difficult to get right. the perspective can be so different from what the artist thinks they are looking at. 

MM are you an artist? :default_icon_liar:

2 hours ago, High6 said:

We've been puzzling over that. In fact it's an optical illusion - the boats are moored stern on a hundred yards or more further upstream opposite the grey building with white window cill you can see behind the red car.

It's interesting  I thought perhaps that as the camera is relatively high compared to the river it gives the impression you're looking straight at the bridge from boat level while simultaneously looking over the bridge. 

It's interesting  I thought perhaps that as the camera is relatively high compared to the river it gives the impression you're looking straight at the bridge from boat level while simultaneously looking over the bridge. 
Try Google street view in satellite mode, positioned on the right end of the bridge. It's surprising how far away the boats actually are.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, High6 said:

Speaking of Ludham Bridge, I have seen tidal ranges of between 3" and 6" mentioned on different websites, but https://tides.willyweather.co.uk/ee/norfolk/river-ant----ludham-bridge.html suggests it could be as much as 18 inches. Can anyone give a more definitive answer, please?

Hello High6,

The attached file is of the bridge heights that we used to have on the forum that gives the rise and fall on all the bridges, according to the file Ludham Bridge is around 12 inches

Bridge heights.pdf

• Thanks 1

Hello High6,
The attached file is of the bridge heights that we used to have on the forum that gives the rise and fall on all the bridges, according to the file Ludham Bridge is around 12 inches
Bridge heights.pdf
That's kind of you, thanks, and something of a relief as our new boat is marked up as being 8'11". Will doubtless let you know before too long.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 13/04/2018 at 12:39, High6 said:

Speaking of Ludham Bridge, I have seen tidal ranges of between 3" and 6" mentioned on different websites, but https://tides.willyweather.co.uk/ee/norfolk/river-ant----ludham-bridge.html suggests it could be as much as 18 inches. Can anyone give a more definitive answer, please?

The tidal range may well be just 6 inches, BUT, that range is imposed on top of the water level in the river.

The water level in the river is most influenced the water level in the North sea.

If you get northerly winds blowing down the North sea the water level rises.

If you get a low pressure weather area crossing the southern North sea the water level rises.

If you get heavy rain over Norfolk, the water level rises to a lesser extent.

If you get all three we get floods..

Of course if you reverse the above the you run aground in odd places but more people can get under bridges..

• Like 2

20 hours ago, loribear said:

It does actually look like the waters higher on the other side, like there's some sort of lock on the other side of the bridge lol .

We actually began our latest Broads "adventure" on April 2, Easter Monday, from Richardsons Stalham, so heard about the "problem" of boats requiring extra human "ballast" in order to pass under Wroxham Bridge, from the yard staff.  One phrase used by one of the reception staff to help explain the problem was that there was a "6 inch difference in water height between the two sides of the bridge".  I'll admit this sounded somewhat fanciful, but looking carefully again at the picture at the start of this thread I think you can see what is, effectively, the "waterfall" under the bridge.

• Like 1