Berney Arms

ChrisB

27 minutes ago, webntweb said:

If BA don't want to see change of use . . . why don't they buy it and run it as a pub?

Roy

If they did that, and baring in mind all the toll payers contributions, would that make it a Community Pub? 

cheersIain

Hi Keith, been busy. Sorry not us but another couple from the island with a fosters low liner spent about a year there. They are good friends and swapped free mooring etc for some maintenance and bar work. Jill use to work here in the Buck and Martin is a regular.

colincheers

Really devastated by this news. Always one of my favourite moorings. Love the stark wildness of the area and just spending the hours watching the tide. We can still do that but the moorings raison d'etr have now gone.

Having watched the film left me with a lot of questions which I certainly cannot ask on here but something irks me about the whole thing.

Fred

3355435289_0605419df1_o.jpg

In happier times during the 60s.

• Like 4

Going forward, this pub can't live on passing boat trade alone, which sometimes is affected by unsuitable tides. It can also be a struggle for those less able to get ashore on a low tide, when most of the craft seem to pass, and as a consequence, boats on the river continue to pass. Due to my shoulder replacement, this mooring has become a no no, as we always take advantage of crossing Breydon at low tide, and it would be a struggle to get a shore to moor up and safely get back onto the boat after casting off.

How could this pub be successful again, in my opinion, have moorings accessible at all states of the tide, possibly floating pontoon moorings, have road access for other users to exploit the wildness and remoteness. 

The owners would have to have another income that they could rely on in winter months, or offer bed and breakfast, or be semi retired and winter abroad. Thinking about it, how has it survived for so long, prices have in the past been reasonable. I guess if you have a pubco taking off the bottom line, there is nothing left for the landlord, landlady to make any income for themselves.

For any of my suggestions to work, it would require substantial investment, it would be a high risk, with no guarantees of any reward or payback. It needs something much bigger than an individual investor. All sorts of things spring to mind, set up as a charity, you could have a charity shop with unwanted chandlery, any donations get a free pint, lol. Lottery funding, it has historic value, and could be lost forever, if nothing is done. There are many cash rich companies and individuals looking for tax offset opportunities. If those of you recall the film, "The Titfield Thunderbolt" one of my favourite films, the line was open to investment, the investors were told that they would make no profit, it would be run as a charity, it had one key unique feature, it had a bar on board open at any time to all travellers, so how can the Berney Arms develop any unique features and exploit them?

Just a thought, something to think about on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Well you can blow that idea Viking as the reason access is so difficult is that there is no road - merely concrete farm tracks over which there is not even foot right of way.. That is from either Halvergate or Wickhampton - some 3 miles or so and unless you are a boat owner, or a twitcher very little else to do!

All bright ideas but no people to make them work other than passing boat trade on a relatively isolated and inhospitable stretch of Norfolk marsh!  Some may like it and there must be literally thousands of better things and locations on which to spend money. Although to be fair, rose coloured spectacles could help the outlook....!

Hi Marshman, regarding access, how does the horse and drey get down there to deliver the beer, I'm sure I have seen the odd vehicle at the premises, maybe the owners, and I have seen the odd 4x4 or pickup at the mill for worker's doing various maintenance on the mill.

So access is there, clearly with permission, could it be a case of negotiation, or are there more historic covenants in place? 

Damn shame to loose it.

I just wish I could think of a brand new idea on how this iconic broadland pub can be saved.

We want it to stay as a pub because it always has been a pub but could some other additional use be created that drew in more than just boats despite the lack of land access? Some interest of sorts, a quirky B&B focusing on the wildlife of Breydon say in the winter.  People go on holiday on islands which involve only boat access to get there so can some  business model be thought out that was seriously different and appealing to an investor but still retaining the pub.

Probably not!

I have to be honest Viking and say I do not know but it must be by specific permission - it will also probably involve crossing two railway lines and that in itself presents another problem i guess!

Whilst i applaud everyone having good ideas, I do fear they are all too little , too late and it is a classic case once again of basic economics compounded by other specific insurmountable problems. Sadly.

I have long thought that there could be a string of hostels across Broadland, not only for hikers & cyclists but also those of us who prefer, or can only afford open boats for our cruising. The Broads is, in my opinion, in serious danger of becoming the playground of the rich and privileged. When I was a part owner of the Waveney River Centre it had been my intention to use the redundant barns behind the pub to provide basic accommodation for backpackers and open boat cruisers, regretfully it didn't happen. In the case of Berney I believe that it could become a hub for such activities and perhaps inspire collaboration with other businesses such as the excellent camping sites at both Reedham Ferry, the present day Waveney River Centre and perhaps Geldeston Locks. I am shortly having a meeting with Dr Packman at the Broads Authority & intend to discuss the possibilities. The Authority, in collaboration with such as the Ramblers Association, the British Canoe Union, the RSPB etc. could, if motivated and with a sensible purchase price, turn Berney into a visitor centre, a pub and hostel, indeed an iconic hub for all their activities.

Personally I don't see it as too late, rather the opportunity for a new start.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, trambo said:

Really devastated by this news. Always one of my favourite moorings. Love the stark wildness of the area and just spending the hours watching the tide. We can still do that but the moorings raison d'etr have now gone.

Having watched the film left me with a lot of questions which I certainly cannot ask on here but something irks me about the whole thing.

Fred

3355435289_0605419df1_o.jpg

In happier times during the 60s.

Fred, thanks for the unintended reminder. The transom of Crystal Waters brings back good memories of when I was a part owner of Fowler's boatyard & Crystal was the favourite boat of all the staff. If she was not out on hire then we were all keen to borrow her for a few days out on the water. 

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Photograph_Gallery&classname=Crystal_Waters_of_Ripplecraft_%28unofficial_name%29&returnpath=Boat_Details&returnpage=13028&style=CryW

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...